Thread: 6.0.1 FOSS Data Recovery

Somertech is offline Member

Default 6.0.1 FOSS Data Recovery

First of all, let me acknowledge that I am stupid for letting my problem get this far, but having said that, perhaps someone will have pity and help me out.
    I have been running and loving ZCS FOSS for a couple years now as a home email server (just my wife and I) and I am now faced with the inevitable.

My Ubuntu 6.06 LTS box died (Bad mainboard I think) and it appears that the data drive containing the Zimbra directory has a bad SUPERBLOCk or some other mysterious Linux File System issue, which means I can't mount it and copy the ZCS folder off to allow restore of ZCS on a new box. I've tried FSCK on Hardy Heron, with the data drive connected via USB adaptor, but that doesn't seem to work.

I have all my data stored on a Windows laptop, but it is locally cached Zimbra Desktop 2.0 Beta, and of course the data Export features are NOT working in this version, at least not for me.

There are a handful of important email folders and some documents that I would like to rescue but seems like I am stuck since I have no backup of ZCS directory and the original hard drive wont mount for me on another box now.

Is there any hope of getting my data out of Zimbra desktop and back into a new ZCS server installation?

My Particulars.
    Running ZCS FOSS 6.0.1 on Ubunto 6.06 LTS
    Data is locally cached on ZD 2.0 beta, but data export not working.
    Have created a new ZCS 6.01 installation on new 6.06 LTS server, but ZD 2 Beta wont sync with it becuase of account ID mismatches.

Any help would be appreciated.

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Rather then trying to create the same account and syncing with the new server, try creating a new account and then dragging the messages from the old account to the new one.

Another thing if that doesn't work would be to post what exactly is wrong with ZD2 that is preventing account export.

Somertech is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    Rather then trying to create the same account and syncing with the new server, try creating a new account and then dragging the messages from the old account to the new one.

Another thing if that doesn't work would be to post what exactly is wrong with ZD2 that is preventing account export.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll try that and see what happens.

As far as the Export feature in ZD2 goes, I don't get any error messages, but the resulting GZIP files are so small (7KB or less) and are generated so quickly, it doesn't seem proper that they actually contain any of my Data.
    I have over 1000 Messages in my inbox alone, nearly 600 contacts, many subfolders and an unfiltered export yields only a 7KB file? Not likely.

That has been my experience on multiple attempts to export from local cache.

I'll be happy to hear that it is operator error, with instructions on proper execution.

Cheers

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

we have created a bug to track this issue. hopefully it can be resolved by beta 2, which is coming in a few weeks.

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44697

Quote Originally Posted by Somertech View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll try that and see what happens.

As far as the Export feature in ZD2 goes, I don't get any error messages, but the resulting GZIP files are so small (7KB or less) and are generated so quickly, it doesn't seem proper that they actually contain any of my Data.
    I have over 1000 Messages in my inbox alone, nearly 600 contacts, many subfolders and an unfiltered export yields only a 7KB file? Not likely.

That has been my experience on multiple attempts to export from local cache.

I'll be happy to hear that it is operator error, with instructions on proper execution.

Cheers

Thread Information