Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Migrating 'TO' exchange

Witchdoctor is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    No, not at all...

Oh no! You don't get the point here... If you want to migrate TO Zimbra (from Exchange, Notes, IMAP based Mailsystem), then Zimbra delivers a whole bunch of tools for you to help you with your migration...

What Tools does Microsoft provide for you, to help you to migrate TO Exchange from some other platform? -> Nothing...

Regards
    Thomas
    Microsoft does have tools.. Use the POP/IMAP migration with the transporter tool.

Download details: Microsoft Transporter Suite

deepblue is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post
    Microsoft does have tools.. Use the POP/IMAP migration with the transporter tool.
    And what about Contacts and Appointments? POP and IMAP is kind of generic, but it does not do the whole job...

Regards
    Thomas

snork is offline Junior Member

Deepblue,

Yes, I did misunderstand your comment. Open source software is very helpful to it's users, unlike the other company. I could go on, but I think I'd be preaching to the choir here.

Witchdoctor,

Thanks for the lead. Have to research whether or not it really works, knowing MS.

BTW, I'm very impressed so far with this forum. It's very alive and it's members are very helpful. My appreciation to all of you.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snork View Post
    I believe they've been using zimbra for almost 2 years now and have never updated it. So, it's probably a very old version. I don't have access to the zimbra server yet to find out which version.
    Perhaps that is one of the reasons why they wish to migrate. Zimbra develops at a very fast pace and seriously listens to both clients and the community. If they have not upgraded in two years then do they take security seriously ? I know for a fact that a serious security issue was fixed the later part of last year. And who will be supporting Exchange ? Do they believe it is just a point and click system ? Lots of questions still need to be asked so please feel free to ask for help from us all.

And what about Contacts and Appointments? POP and IMAP is kind of generic, but it does not do the whole job...

Regards
    Thomas
    Not sure I understand what you are saying here.. IMAP can take care of this.. You can't expect a vendor to have a migration tool for every single competitor (i.e. Mirapoint, etc) . The transporter takes care of the majority... As far as contacts and appointments... Please see this link..

Migrating from POP/IMAP to Exchange Server 2007 using Microsoft Transport Suite (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Perhaps that is one of the reasons why they wish to migrate. Zimbra develops at a very fast pace and seriously listens to both clients and the community. If they have not upgraded in two years then do they take security seriously ? I know for a fact that a serious security issue was fixed the later part of last year. And who will be supporting Exchange ? Do they believe it is just a point and click system ? Lots of questions still need to be asked so please feel free to ask for help from us all.
    I will have to play devil advocate on this.. Exchange 2010 is not a terrible and complex beast. The ability to use DAGs in Exchange for database HA is a major departure from its older clustering technology. Very soon you will be able to manage Exchange 2010 in an on-premise environment AND a the Microsoft BPOS cloud environment via a single interface. The latest version of Zimbra has alot of the features 2010 has so the user experience will be at least the same. I see Zimbra being a big player against Google/IBM/MSFT in the cloud space with the VMware acquisition more than on-premise management.

Smile

Regards
    Thomas
    Contacts and Calendars migrate just fine along with Tasks, Journals, Notes, etcd .. I tried to attach a link to walk through the set up but for some reason it is not posting..

snork is offline Junior Member

They're wanting to install Exchange 2007 for what it's worth.

I think it's up to me to try to convince them to keep (and update) what they have, if possible. If not, I guess I'll learn something new.

Thanks for all your help and if anyone has a link to someplace that compares zimbra with exchange (favorably), hopefully with some bullet points of features that zimbra has, or can do, that exchange doesn't, it would be helpful as that's where I'm headed next.

It would be a bad decision to move to Exchange 2007 at this point for a fresh start. They really need to look at Exchage 2010. The database structure in 07 changed and you are looking at older technology. It is like upgrade Zimbra but not upgrading it all the way.

However, I totally understand.. To me, it does not matter if they chose Exchange or Zimbra. If they do not want to update their messaging environment, both solution will fail.. The other option is to push everything to the cloud (either Zimbra or Exchange) and have a 3rd party be responsible for updating the environment. It kinda forces their hand.

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

I would tend to agree with Witchdoctor, if they have let their mail system get so far out of maintenance that it hasn't been upgraded in over 2 years they should really be looking at a cloud based solution where upgrading and maintenance is not their concern.

However if they have some business reason for having onsite email then you might want to try installing the latest Zimbra in a VM and demoing the web interface's features alongside an Exchange web interface. As far as the user is concerned the only difference between Zimbra (NE) and Exchange is how they interact with it, and most of the time that would be through Outlook. If they are using the web interface however the Zimbra one is far superior from what I have seen of the Exchange one.

If you can't convince them to stay with Zimbra and get a recent version (a LOT has changed since their version), do at least tell them that going to Exchange 2007 would be a waste of money when 2010 is out

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information