Thread: Questions email migration

ominerim is offline Member

Red face Questions email migration

1 - create the new domain with the same name as the old domain?
    2 - create all the accounts of the old server to new server
    3 - may be the two domains with the same name but with IPs different in the same network?
    4 - to create the new domain with a different name and then creates a virtual domain with the name of the production server?
    5 - Installing IMAP on the old server to use the imapsync brings some malfunction in the server production?
    6 - the migration scripts I run on the old server or new?

uxbod is offline Moderator

What errors are you getting from the IMAPsync ? Not sure from what you have posted the issues you are getting ?

Hello Uxbod, I'm actually starting the process yet, and I have some questions about the migration process. I do not know yet what it looks like the new server, what settings I have to do, for example, the name of the Zimbra server is equal to what I have in production postfix + openwebmail + mailbox. By using mailbox, told me to use imapsync, I have not installed on the old server and that this in production, installation of IMAP will interfere with the old server? The imapsync script run on the old server or new that I am creating with Zimbra? These are questions that have yet.

dalmate is offline Elite Member

If you only use imapsync ( not with another script), you should do:
    -have a backup server(full installing) that has:the same domain with the real server, the same accounts with the real server and let's imapsync do the last
    If you can write some script to control imapsync, you can only need a backup server with full installing zimbra.
    Your script will auto get and import accounts to backup server and then migrate your accounts' data to the backup server

Question

Dalmata Good morning, I get the hint, but I'm still a doubt, when I put the new server (Zimbra), with the same name as the old server for production, on the same network would not give trouble. In imapsync put the name of the servers being equal or even put the IP source and destination? example:

imapsync - buffersize 8192000 - nosyncacls - subscribe - syncinternaldates \
    - host1 server.mydomain - YourAccount user1 - password1 yourPassword \
    - host2 server.mydomain - YourAccount user2 - password2 yourPassword ---- noauthmd5

as the script will know who will be the source server and destination server, since they have the same name?

today I have set the scene as follows:
    server.mydomain
    zimbra.mydomain

and its tip is that I do
    server.mydomain
    zimbra.mydomain

so I have to change the domain name that zimbra is installed, since I made notes in DNS for server.mydomain and zimbra.mydomain do not know how DNS will handle machines with the same name.
    Last edited by ominerim; 01-21-2010 at 05:14 AM.

Thread Information