Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: [SOLVED] Hosted Exchange to Zimbra

  1. #1
    xeon is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    6

    Question [SOLVED] Hosted Exchange to Zimbra

    There was a thread that touched on this briefly with no answer that I could tell. I have a client that has a hosted Exchange 2007 solution. I want to move them to Zimbra. I am going to assume the Exchange migration tool is not going to work correct?

    So I have a few options. Imapsync, PST import tool, and using Zimbra desktop (connecting to Exchange via IMAP) to generate tgz files.

    Are there any other options that are more automated? I dont mind putting a script together to do bulk of the work. Just want to make sure there other options before I make a plan. They only have 30 users and do not authenticate with their internal AD. They will be moving to Zimbra 6.x NE once approved.

    Thanks for your replies in advance!

  2. #2
    nzahar's Avatar
    nzahar is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    To extend your sayings. If all users are all in the same office and using M$ Outlook, try exporting all their data to pst files. Then you can upload to Zimbra.
    Else try ExMerge.
    But why don't you use the Zimbra tools? The Migration wizard is your first choice

    Nikos
    ########################################3
    Zaharioudakis Nikos, RHC{A,DS,E,VA,X,I}, VCP(4,5},VCI, Mentor VCI, Zimbra Instructor
    https://www.redhat.com/wapps/trainin...&verify=Verify
    +30 694 720 40 63
    http://zimbra.wikidot.com/zimbra-ins...ions-in-greece

  3. #3
    xeon is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzahar View Post
    To extend your sayings. If all users are all in the same office and using M$ Outlook, try exporting all their data to pst files. Then you can upload to Zimbra.
    Else try ExMerge.
    But why don't you use the Zimbra tools? The Migration wizard is your first choice

    Nikos
    From my understanding of the Migration wizard it needs full server/mailboxes permissions to attach to the Exchange server. In this case, I will not be able to get that kind of permissions as the Exchange server is shared by many customers. So I am stuck with per mailbox import. Unless I am wrong?

  4. #4
    nzahar's Avatar
    nzahar is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeon View Post
    From my understanding of the Migration wizard it needs full server/mailboxes permissions to attach to the Exchange server. In this case, I will not be able to get that kind of permissions as the Exchange server is shared by many customers. So I am stuck with per mailbox import. Unless I am wrong?
    Well he could assign you extra permissions, but this will require extra time for talking, co-ordination etc.
    Let's face the facts. They are only 30 accounts. Are they located in the same office as well ? This make things even easier.
    Set up your new Zimbra machine, create all mailboxes / users and redirect the MX records to point to the new installation.
    Then either import and export from their Outlook with pst files, or install the Outlook connector. Make the old local pst files available to the new Zimbra profile. Then make sure it is Friday so they will have sync with the Zimbra Server by Monday.
    As soon as the migration is finished, train them to the magic web interface or the Zimbra Desktop Client.
    It is a first class opportunity to get rid of this app and give more resources to their computers

    Nikos
    ########################################3
    Zaharioudakis Nikos, RHC{A,DS,E,VA,X,I}, VCP(4,5},VCI, Mentor VCI, Zimbra Instructor
    https://www.redhat.com/wapps/trainin...&verify=Verify
    +30 694 720 40 63
    http://zimbra.wikidot.com/zimbra-ins...ions-in-greece

  5. #5
    xeon is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Yea, I doubt the host will allow low level access to the mailboxes and dumping all that data over a single T1 would take a whole weekend!

    That was the plan. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your time.

  6. #6
    nzahar's Avatar
    nzahar is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    If you playwith the Outlook connector approach, all data will be at first locally to the users. This will give you the chance to be "productive" day one and let the syncer in the background to do all the dirty work for as long as it needs. Ask the users not to turn off their computers for a couple of days. Very few will really notice that their browsing is a little bit slow, or you could do some qos/priority magic on your router.
    ########################################3
    Zaharioudakis Nikos, RHC{A,DS,E,VA,X,I}, VCP(4,5},VCI, Mentor VCI, Zimbra Instructor
    https://www.redhat.com/wapps/trainin...&verify=Verify
    +30 694 720 40 63
    http://zimbra.wikidot.com/zimbra-ins...ions-in-greece

  7. #7
    xeon is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzahar View Post
    If you playwith the Outlook connector approach, all data will be at first locally to the users. This will give you the chance to be "productive" day one and let the syncer in the background to do all the dirty work for as long as it needs. Ask the users not to turn off their computers for a couple of days. Very few will really notice that their browsing is a little bit slow, or you could do some qos/priority magic on your router.
    Good thinking. So I would basically install the connector on their workstations and it will use the Exchange profile and update the server with the mail stored locally in their OST file correct?

  8. #8
    nzahar's Avatar
    nzahar is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Make sure that you export from Outlook the ost info to a pst.
    Then in the Zimbra profile (after you install the connector), make sure this pst is additinal to the Zimbra profile.
    When you load Outlook with the Zimbra profile, drug and drop all e-mail folders to the "Zimbra" (as it is called) inbox-folder. From that minute, the background sync is going to be initiated, plus any new e-mails downloaded if you have already switched the MX records.
    In this way you will have no dublications in import.
    Nikos
    ########################################3
    Zaharioudakis Nikos, RHC{A,DS,E,VA,X,I}, VCP(4,5},VCI, Mentor VCI, Zimbra Instructor
    https://www.redhat.com/wapps/trainin...&verify=Verify
    +30 694 720 40 63
    http://zimbra.wikidot.com/zimbra-ins...ions-in-greece

  9. #9
    xeon is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzahar View Post
    Make sure that you export from Outlook the ost info to a pst.
    Then in the Zimbra profile (after you install the connector), make sure this pst is additinal to the Zimbra profile.
    When you load Outlook with the Zimbra profile, drug and drop all e-mail folders to the "Zimbra" (as it is called) inbox-folder. From that minute, the background sync is going to be initiated, plus any new e-mails downloaded if you have already switched the MX records.
    In this way you will have no dublications in import.
    Nikos
    Perfect. Thanks for the information.

  10. #10
    nzahar's Avatar
    nzahar is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    NO u will not use the Exchange profile. There will be an additional profile called Zimbra after you install the connector. Make sure all data of the user are avalable to this user (via additional personal folders). The ost is not a pst file.
    Yous should export the ost (aka inbox) to a pst and make this available to the Zimbra profile too.
    After you login with the Zimbra profile, drag and drop the additional folders that appear with the other pst to the Zimbra Inbox. In this way you will force the connector to upload all date to the Zimbra server (sooner or later, depending on the ammount of data, the 30 users and your connection )
    Nikos
    ########################################3
    Zaharioudakis Nikos, RHC{A,DS,E,VA,X,I}, VCP(4,5},VCI, Mentor VCI, Zimbra Instructor
    https://www.redhat.com/wapps/trainin...&verify=Verify
    +30 694 720 40 63
    http://zimbra.wikidot.com/zimbra-ins...ions-in-greece

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
  3. Zimbra shutdowns every n hours.
    By Andrewb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 04:10 AM
  5. huge log size
    By rmvg in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •