Thread: Lingering License from old test installation

gaieges is offline Junior Member

Default Lingering License from old test installation

Hey all,
    Hope you can help with this issue, we're going to go live tomorrow moving our old OSS4 server over to NE5 with a temporary trial license. The problem is that the OSS install used to be a NE4 install with a trial license, and when I do a trial run of the installation I get to NE5 with a lingering trial license from the old install that says 'license expired'.

What I'm wondering is, how can I get a license-less install when moving to NE5? Do I just need to specify the NE5 trial license location during the setup, or remove the ZCSLicense.xml file before I even start that process?

Please advise Zimbra masters - I've got to do the upgrade tomorrow and would like as few problems as computerly possible!

Thanks!
    Evin

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Do you have an /opt/zimbra/zimlets-network directory on your server with zimlets in it? If you do I'd suggest you a) move the licence file out of the Zimbra directory and b) undeploy the zimlets in that directory (especially the licence one). When you've done that restart zimbra and see if the problem goes away.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

That worked well, however I'd like to install a NEW trial license on the machine. By removing the license zimlet and then redeploying it, it still tells me that there is a out-of-date license. I'd really like to try the new features in the network edition and need the new trial license i have to work.

Any thoughts?

You should not have redeployed the zimlet, undelpoy it again and restart Zimbra. How are you intending to get the new NE 5 running, are you upgrading your current server? What exactly is your procedure going to be?
    Regards

Bill

Do I need to remove it before I do any of the installs I specified?

I want to redeploy the zimlet because I'd like to test out the NE5 features but can't since it's got the old, expired license.

We are going to be upgrading our server today, and the old server was a NE4 trial at one point, which was then upgraded to a OSS4 version. We've been using that ever since, but the NE4 trial license still resides somewhere in the install.

The process that we're going to take is basically to upgrade the current OSS4 version to NE4 temporarily, then immedeately install NE5 (i hear that makes the install from OSS4-NE5 easier). I'm just not sure how to get NE5 working with the new trial license I have for NE5. We do plan on purchasing it but want to make sure that the additional features are worth it.

You don't want to reinstall the licence at this stage, do that later. I'd suggest undeploy the license zimlet then upgrade the current installed version to the most recent OSS version. When that's done and working you can upgrade to the NE version (same release, of course). You'll also need to do adequate backups between the upgrades. Which version of Zimbra 4 is actually installed?
    Regards

Bill

The live server is currently running 4.5.9_GA_1454.RHEL5_20071016203610 RHEL5 FOSS. I will give that a try right now and see how it goes.. should I also remove the ZCSLicense.xml file from the conf and base directory?

thanks for all the help!

Yes, you should remove the licence file, when you've undeployed the licence zimlet I'd rename the directory it's in then do a full backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure with Zimbra stopped. When you've done that try an upgrade to 4.5.11 and make sure that's OK, if you're happy it's working then do another backup of /opt/zimbra then run an upgrade to the current release. If that's all OK the backup again and run the NE upgrade over your current OSS installation.
    Regards

Bill

You know, I just noticed that there is no zimlets-network on the live server which I'm going to upgrade. So the license data must be stored somewhere else in the install.. do you know where that's stored so I can clean it out?

-Evin

Thread Information