Thread: Evaluating Zimbra: Are these features available, coming soon, or coming never?

NoDough is offline Junior Member

Question Evaluating Zimbra: Are these features available, coming soon, or coming never?

Doing a Zimbra eval and have a couple of questions about features.

1. Pass-through Authentication
      Don't know if this is even possible. But I would like the same type of pass-through authentication that desktop Outlook uses.
      Edit: Have since realized that this is possible as OWA will do this under certain conditions.
    2. File > SendTo in MS Office (Windows)
      This integration I know is possible, because it's being done with OWA over Exchange. See here: Messageware ActiveSend
    3. Drag-n-drop Message Editor
      Again, don't know if this is possible in a browser-based editor. But I would like to be able to drag-n-drop attachments and inline images into the message editor.

Does anyone know the status of these features? Are they available, coming soon, or coming never?

I'm no professional programmer, but I could probably be convinced to write a couple of these features with some guidance.

Thanks for you comments,
    Lane Beneke
    Southern Piping Co.
    Wilson, NC, USA
    Last edited by NoDough; 02-25-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Update on capabilities

soxfan is offline Moderator

I'll try to give you a few answers:

1. Pass-through Authentication - Don't know what this means; need more info on what you are looking for.

2. File --> SendTo with MS Office - There is a very old RFE open on the Zimbra Bugzilla for this (12845). The status for the RFE says "Assigned" and there are 37 votes for it, which is not a huge amount, but not trivial (1 or 2) either. Hopefully it will eventually come to Zimbra.

3. Drag-and-Drop Message Editor - Currently there is a Firefox add-on that allows you to drag-and-drop files to a message which adds them as attachments. This functionality also exists with the Zimbra Desktop. There is another open RFE (27153) to have add cross-browser/cross-platform support for this feature. This RFE also shows up as "Assigned"; it only has 5 votes, but is not nearly as old as the previous one. Again, hopefully this functionality will eventually be available in Zimbra. Note that the current Firefox/Desktop feature adds the files as attachments; it does not embed them in the message. I very rarely, if ever, compose HTML messages and try to embed files into the message. There might be a way to do this, but I am not sure.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    1. Pass-through Authentication - Don't know what this means; need more info on what you are looking for.
    I would imagine SSO (Single Sign On)

NoDough is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, pass-through authentication is the equivalent of single-sign-on.

Specifically, I was hoping there was a way that the Windows sign-on could be used to pass the authentication to the Zimbra server.

Not sure how it does it, but OWA will do this under certain conditions which seem to be tied to which URL you use to open it. Also, the Untangle firewall with the AD plugin can tell which connections are coming from which AD users. Again, not sure how it is accomplished.

Thanks again,
    Lane

Thread Information