Thread: Diary of a Newbie 6 - Splicing in Zimbra

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Default Diary of a Newbie 6 - Splicing in Zimbra

Ok. So now I have my Zimbra server up, and talking to the world (I have 2 gateways to separate networks, and I put it behind the NAT filewall that's on the faster one; my MailScanner/Exchange 5.5 setup is on the slower one).

The next step is to teach Z that my Exchange server is its pass-through target, and then manually send it some emails,and make sure they pass through.

The impression I have is that I need to do that by a) telling Postfix it owns the domain (which Z should have already done) and b) putting manual forwards in to *some* file somewhere for each mailbox name (or is it "email address"? We have some aliases) to tell it to pass through.

If I'm reading this page correctly, it's saying that I have to provision *all* the mailboxes and aliases on Z before I can splice it in; the first step makes the mailbox on Z, and the second one tells it to pass through.

Then I back the mailboxes out one at a time, switching the mail and then running the migration wizard.

Do I have that right? ;-) It's not at all clear on that wiki page whether the writer's use of "primary" and "secondary" have to do with which machine talks to the internet and forwards to the other; I'm assuming the "primary" machine is the one which receives directly from the Internet at the domain's MX address.

FInal question, for extra credit.

If I have to migrate *back*, how do I migrate the mail *out* of Z back into Exchange? (NO one ever seems to think about that...)
    Last edited by Baylink; 09-15-2008 at 10:20 AM.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

mmorse is offline Moderator

-Process sounds good. New diary page eh? http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...migration.html
    -Yup, that's the definition of primary (which machine the mail hits first from the MX record).
    (As every system is different, we don't cover methods on how to tell your exchange box that the account previously local at it on it is no longer 'on it', and should be sent to the Zimbra box; whether you use fwd, transports and/or close out the account in exchange that's up to you.)
    -To be technical those steps with setting attributes on each account in LDAP ties into Postfix virtual mappings, see this thread for more info: Create new domain
    -Imapsync would be one method.
    -If you hit the "Appointment with Uid[]..." warning see the 5.0.5 tool in this thread.

Wow, it's been a long week. I already did do most of that, didn't I? Crap.

Well, better to look stupid than arrogant. :-)

The routing one is setting using that zm command -- is that *post* processing?

The Z box will be replacing Mailscanner in front of Exchange, and I want it to do spam and AV for Exchange during the cutover; a three box chain is Just Too Much...
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

[bump]

I'm about to tell all my users that this is true (that even when their mailboxes are forwarded through to Exchange, Z will AV/AS them).

I'm not lying, right?

Thread Information