Thread: [SOLVED] Diary of a Newbie 5 - The Actual Migration

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Default [SOLVED] Diary of a Newbie 5 - The Actual Migration

If I'm reading the Split Domain wiki page correctly -- and it could use some work; I wouldn't call it "approved and locked" documentation, it's kind of thin and watery -- then what I'll need to do to test my Zimbra box is to create all the "real" mailboxes on it that I have, with almost all of them forwarding to the Exchange box, do my testing, and then cut the MX records (actually the inbound DNAT pointer) over from my MailScanner box to my Zimbra box, and watch to make sure that "old" mail still flows through to where it's supposed to...

and then one by one, move those accounts back to local.

Did I read (what there was of it) right?
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Kinda depends if you want your Zimbra server primary or secondary (what the mail hits first) For instance, you don't need to create all the accounts if you're going to do it as secondary - you can create the catchall rules (then null them out ' ') when you want to remove them.

My plan is to splice the Z box in in place of my current MailScanner box -- which then feeds *to* the Exchange server.

Once that's working, I'll peel the mailboxes off Exchange one at a time onto Z, and once they're all moved, I can turn Exchange off.

If that ever happens. :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

So, then, Mike...

does that mean my reading was correct? :-)

Yes, that's the wiki page I was complaining about the incompleteness of.

Note that Deployment Scenario A doesn't actually *tell* you how to do anything at all.

The page looks as if it was half completed, and then locked.

And for what it's worth -- and my apologies for never quite finishing the wiki page; I haven't worked there for a year -- it did work out properly; build all the accounts, forward each one to the exchange server (by IP address, IIRC), then swing the mx, confirm that all mail is passing through, and peel people off, one seat at a time.

I had a 75 user license; it took me almost *eight months* to cut the entire company over.

Then we took the 6RU Exchange server with 4 9GB 5.25" Seagate Elite's in it, and chained it to the back of the boss's boat as a new anchor.

I was *amazed* it didn't die out from under me; it was nearly 10 years old by that time.

Thread Information