Thread: Use Zimbra Web Client instead of Squirrelmail

Pieter is offline Starter Member

Default Use Zimbra Web Client instead of Squirrelmail

I'm currently running a personal mailserver (hMailServer running on a Win2K box) for my family. In order to access email from the web, I've installed squirrelmail. But I've become increasingly frustrated with this webmail client. Even though it does what it's supposed, it lacks many of the features I've become addicted to like an advanced address book, threaded conversations, text completion when choosing who to send an email to. That sort of stuff.
    While looking for alternatives, I came across Zimbra. From the demo the webmail client looks to be exactly what I want.

But I do have some questions:
    1. Is it possible to only use the webmail client and not the entire suit?
    2. Does this client run on a windows system? (I suppose I'd only need Tomcat or not even that?)

PS. I wasn't sure where to post this question, but migration seemed to be the most logical

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

1) Unfortunately not as it is a entire suite. You could take a look at http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html which is a standalone app and can use IMAP and POP3.
    2) Sorry no, due to certain elements only running on Linux running under Windows is a no go. Though the ZDesktop will run under Windows okay.

Regards,
    Last edited by uxbod; 03-27-2008 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typo!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, you can't separate the web client from the product - Zimbra is a complete collaboration suite and the Web UI is part of that. You could always convert your current mail server to a Linux/Zimbra combination.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

webman is offline Special Member

If it's just advanced webmail features you're after, have a look at RoundCube and Horde DIMP - both mentioned in this thread.

you could always create a VM on your Win2K server and try out ZCS. Hey you may even prefer Linux over Windows

Pieter is offline Starter Member

Unfortunately I need to keep the windows environment, as the server doubles as a printer server and the printer doesn't perform once attached to a Linux box (trust me, I've tried but waiting more than 10 minutes for a simple PDF to start printing, if it starts at all, is not funny anymore).
    I did look at both Roundcube and Horde DIMP, but Roundcube is not really mature yet (rubbish address book [Squirrelmail's is just as good], no filters, terrible folder management and not the advanced features I'm looking for; actually Squirrelmail probably does more in terms of features) and Horde frankly is a pain the *ss to install.

That's how I came to Zimbra. Shame the client and server are not independent of eachother. That would have been nice.

The client and server are tightly integrated due to the technology. After all it is a full collaboration suite. Perhaps on your next venture into Linux we shall be able to help you

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Shame the client and server are not independent of eachother. That would have been nice.
    We get this question every once in a while, but without attempting to insult you, if you think it through, what you are asking is not possible. A web client by its very nature is a client software that is served up by a web server. Nothing gets installed on the client machine, which is part of the beauty of it.

Could somebody create a web client, served up by your choice of html/php/perl servers, that would access your choice of POP or IMAP clients? Sure, I suppose so. But that's not what Zimbra tries to be.

What you're asking is kinda like saying "it's too bad a Ferrari is not a LearJet." Both are wonderful tools (and I've got neither but would enjoy both! ), and both have the function of transportation, but they are designed with vastly different parameters.
    Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information