Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] GroupWise 7.0.2 migration

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    The key for us is to make sure it is delivered as a full-blown message status view and not just basic Internet delivery and read receipts.
    Similar to Comment #27 : Bug 7257 - Support read receipts and delivery reports in webmail might want to add this one to your list: Bug 12852 - Track and show status of email
    (Someday they'll probably be combined-depends on how much is put in the first pass of read-receipts, but extra votes can't hurt.)

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Default GroupWise migration - storage goes up how much?

Thanks, this is helpful stuff. We'll be trying a GW6.5 migration in the next few weeks - about 110 gig of mailboxes and attachments.

Once quick question - when you migrate from GroupWise, you lose the SIS (single instance store) or whatever you want to call it - where an email with large attachments to multiple people includes just 1 copy of the attachment with multiple pointers - so of course on migration your storage requirements increase. Were you able to quantify (for your shop) what percentage jump it was?

thanks,
    greg

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    Once quick question - when you migrate from GroupWise, you lose the SIS (single instance store) or whatever you want to call it - where an email with large attachments to multiple people includes just 1 copy of the attachment with multiple pointers - so of course on migration your storage requirements increase.
    What makes you think that's not the case in Zimbra? Where an email to multiple users has an attachment we only store one copy of that attachment.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default lose that ability in migration process

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    What makes you think that's not the case in Zimbra? Where an email to multiple users has an attachment we only store one copy of that attachment.
    I'm not saying that Zimbra _doesn't_ do that - I'm saying that you lose that in the migration process of mailboxes from GroupWise to Zimbra... a one-time hit, but a hit nonetheless.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    I'm not saying that Zimbra _doesn't_ do that - I'm saying that you lose that in the migration process of mailboxes from GroupWise to Zimbra... a one-time hit, but a hit nonetheless.
    Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb here, are you then saying that copying those mailboxes from Groupwise to Zimbra duplicates all those attachments on the Zimbra server rather than maintaining one copy of the attachments?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb here, are you then saying that copying those mailboxes from Groupwise to Zimbra duplicates all those attachments on the Zimbra server rather than maintaining one copy of the attachments?
    Yes, that is what I am saying. Is that incorrect? I'd be most happy to be wrong. I guess I approached it this way...

Say I have UserA and UserB. Both have (in the recent past) received the same email with a large attachment. Then I migrate their mailboxes - I use the GW migration wizard to duplicate UserA's mailbox to Zimbra. A copy of that email (and large attachment) are transferred over. When that is complete, I migrate UserB. The Migration wizard has no knowledge that an existing copy of that same email is already in UserA's zimbra mailbox, and simply migrates the same thing, again. The "linkage" between UserA, UserB, and this particular email with large attachment is no longer there, and the attachment is "duplicated".

snotrocket is offline Starter Member

Default Address issues during migration

Thank you for doing all of this work, I am going to start an 85 user migration here in a bit, but have one big question. How did you resolve, or workaround addressing? By that, I mean how did people still in GroupWise resolve email addresses to those that have already crossed over to Zimbra?

Thanks in Advance

Dan

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Here's some of what we told users: Carleton College: Information Technology Services: GroupWise/Zimbra Compatibility

Carleton has long had multiple email directories, so the concept was not foreign to the users. I'm not the GW admin, but GroupWise here "always" had both the internal GW addressbook and and a "Carleton LDAP" addressbook to which all users had access. We simply had to tell them to use the latter rather than the former.

We were not able to figure out any way to script the setting of forward addresses in GroupWise. This seems to be a common question that, for more than a decade, has remained unanswered. Also, we have seen enough corruption of messages passing through GWIA that we didn't want to rely on it. So, we expired the GroupWise accounts (step number 7, at start of this thread) and instructed users remaining in GroupWise to contact migrated-username@carleton.edu rather than migrated-username@acs.carleton.edu. If GroupWise users sent mail to migrated-username@acs.carleton.edu, then GroupWise would bounce it back to them with an "account expired" error.

This was only a problem for the two-week migration period, and only for GroupWise-to-GroupWise communication. The externally advertised MX for GroupWise was (and remains) a sendmail router under my control, and it was easy to script the changing of forwards there.

Default How we are approaching it...

We have a split domain - about 10 users on Zimbra, the remaining 90 on GroupWise. What we do is kind of a hack, but it (mostly) works.

To be able to support external users being in our System Address book - to support a sister company - we created a secondary/external/dummy domain and PO, and then create external users in that and point it to whatever Internet email address we wish. We also have the GWIA setup to forward undeliverable (FUT) to our AV/Spam gateway. All Internet mail goes to our Postfix gateway, which has a transport file listing all Zimbra users (to fwd to), with the default global being our GW GWIA.

We create the to-be-migrated user as an external user in this other PO. We take the GW account (after data has been migrated to Zimbra), change the Internet address to some dummy one, e.g. do_not_use_username@secureme.net, expire the account, and then give the external users in the dummy PO the correct email address - this is so that they still show up in the GW System Address Book. So, when a GW users uses that AB entry to send, the GWIA fwds to our AV gateway, which then forwards to Zimbra.

The three downsides:
    1) the default install of GroupWise tends to make the Frequent Contacts address book the first one searched. So you end up with people bouncing emails. To get around this, you must have the System AB be the first one searched (in Address Book, File, Name Completion Search Order).

2) anyone who replies to an older message (that was sent/included the old GW account) will get the acct expired message.

3) it's kind of a complicated msg. flow, but it works, and for a small number like we have to support, it's workable

These are rough steps, if you really want to know, I can step over it exactly. The acct creation and getting the name/address right, without consoleone complaining about an existing user, can be a slight barrier.

greg
    Last edited by gnyce; 04-17-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot the rest of sentence on point 1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information