Thread: [HELP]: Public Folder equivalent, help needed

devnull is offline Member

Exclamation [HELP]: Public Folder equivalent, help needed

Hello,

We're comparing different solutions for a hosting based solution. Right now Zimbra is one of the top choices, but due to an OVERWHELMING demand for public-folder like behaviour, we're having some problems making Zimbra behave somewhat like an exchange server.

This is all with the outlook connector, as there seems to be no way to replicate Public Folder like behaviour in the web interface, aside from the calendars (we also need mails, and notes).

Right now, I've managed to create a user account named Public Folder. That works so far. Create a folder in there, and share it so that 1 user in particular is an admin, and give him delegate rights. That also works.

But now, I want all my other users at least reviewer rights, without delegation, so they can see the folders created, and open them. This is where I hit my snag.

I need to allow all users manually. There is no way to set a "default" rule, as in all other products I've tried so far (exchange, scalix are the other top two). This is kind of a showstopper, as every time a user is created, we would need to go back and add the user as a reviewer, with no delegation, at the top of the public folder folder (that makes a lot of folders )

Is there anyone working in such a setup? I really love the multi-domain approach, the way I can give domain admin rights to users in their own domain, and I've been learning quite a bit by running the community edition as my own standalone server (but now we need Enterprise features, so I really want to be able to recommend Zimbra!)

Hoping to hear good news

DevNull

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,

Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    This is all with the outlook connector, as there seems to be no way to replicate Public Folder like behaviour in the web interface, aside from the calendars (we also need mails, and notes).
    /blog/archives/2007/08/shared_folders.html

You can try that out here: /products/hosted_demo.php
    -Also coming to an outlook connector near you

mmorse is offline Moderator

Sry wrong link, though I quickly edited it, you might have already gotten that in an email-I meant to show you: http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...d_folders.html

devnull is offline Member

Thanks, but I would like to be able to test it out with an outlook connector before I make my decision. October is past now, and no news of the GA of zcs5.0, and it doesn't answer my question of "default" rights.

As I see this blog, and examples, I still would have to specify every users I want to give access to the "Public Folders".

I'll have to try and convince my bosses and the clients that changing the way they work, even though it takes more time at first, can mean an improvement over all, but it'll be a tough sell if there's no way to give rights at least to a list, or group of users, better yet, a default choice.

Thanks for the info!

-- Edit -- There is no NE edition of the zcs5 beta, and no outlook connector. Is there any ways to test it as a NE edition?

DevNull

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Thanks, but I would like to be able to test it out with an outlook connector before I make my decision. October is past now, and no news of the GA of zcs5.0,
    You can check the release dates on the Product Portal, current target is for mid-December.

.. and it doesn't answer my question of "default" rights.
    You can create folders with a default of 'Public View' or internal users with ' View, Edit, Add, Remove, Accept, Decline' rights and of course a View only for internal users.

-- Edit -- There is no NE edition of the zcs5 beta, and no outlook connector. Is there any ways to test it as a NE edition?
    There'll be an NE RC2 shortly (no firm date yet) that will have the most recent Connector.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information