Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price questions cheap?? missing something?

Tmanagement is offline Member

Default Price questions cheap?? missing something?

Hi all,

For about a year I am following Zimbra and it is getting better and better. I also looked at competitors but I feel that Zimbra is offering more especially the zimlets and editing documents online.

That being said, I looked at the prices and was wondering, how is it possible that you "only" have to pay around 3 dollars a user per month for such a product? I mean, salesforce can easily charge over 100 dollars per user per month and although directly used to grow your business, anyone should admit that, using Zimbra the way it is supposed to be, can return enormous efficiency gains.

So the questions:
    1. Am I correct that you pay a max of 3 dollars/month for the most loaded edition?
    2. When I have the above edition I "only" need a server to host the program?
    3. For that price I can contact Zimbra in case of malfunction -support-?
    4. If the above is true, why then is it so cheap? Do companies fail to understand the benefits of using Zimbra or any other collaboration tool? If so what arguments are they using?
    5. Have I mist something?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Details of the pricing on this page. So the answer to your question is yes, it's about $3 per month per user (payable as an annual fee) for NE Professional Edition with a minimum of 25 users. Details of the Support options are on the same pricing page but the answer is also yes, you can contact support if you have problems.

I would describe the Zimbra pricing as Value for Money, rather than cheap.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Don't forget that's there's a sliding scale - ie: it' gets even better the more users you have

Just as any company does: The more volume you buy the less expensive it gets. But you will need to contact a sales rep via the many available methods.
    (Though not listed on that page because you should use the web form, you can also send an email to sales at zimbra.com)

Though you should contact them so you can get a customized quote, (especially if your an academic, govt, or non-profit) check out /quote/configurator.php

I understand from the posts that Zimbra is not cheap so it seems that competitors offer about the same for the same money.

1. Is this true? Is Zimbra offering the same as competitors for about the same price?

2. If not, what makes Zimbra different from other packages such as Open-Xchange, Zafara, and Microsoft-exchange?

3. What are the features of Zimbra that business whise are used by companies and that are the cause of choosing Zimbra over the other packages?

4. In combination with question 3, I get the impression that most people seek a mail server and are using Zimbra as such. I understand that Zimbra is doing that but is it fair to see it as a mail server? Are the current users not aware of the potential of the package?

I am trying to understand how companies use it at the moment and to figure out why it is positioned by a lot of people as "just" a mailserver.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

I think that I can best answer your question by saying this.

Zimbra relies much on our community to help us develop and drive the product. As a sort of "thank you" we give them the Open Source edition. . it's a very symbiotic relationship. We take care of them, and they take care of us.

Unlike many other products, we have a very large and very active community. We get about 3-400 posts on average (meaning take all posts/month and divide by day). These things help us to develop the product with little overhead.

We take most other resources and put them towards the core product, and the more advanced features into the Network Edition.

Not only that, everyone here truly believes we're the best. we've used other products, didn't like what we saw. . so we made our own (which is part of how Zimbra came into being).

There are many other factors that play into costs. For more info, I's suggest you contact sales@zimbra.com and contact a rep who can help you more.

It's the best e-mail money can buy.

john
    Last edited by jholder; 10-25-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

On the note of the Open Source edition, I was just reading over the licensing for it and I didn't see anything about it (I've been known to be blind when reading fine print), but is there anything in the licensing that prevents one from running the open source edition and reselling (per-say, since the open source edition is free) hosted mailboxes as a service, given of course that the rest of the open source license isn't violated in any way (leaving the Zimbra brand on it and all that fun stuff)?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Nope. As long as you keep all of the brand/logo/copyrights the same, there's nothing to prevent that.

Then there's opinion. Once would ask themself: "Why would I go with someone that doesn't have mobile support when I can go with vendor A for 9 dollars a month."

Nothing to prevent it, but we would hope that if you're making a profit, that you'd pay for the NE features, but it is not at all a requirement.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Just an idea I've been considering working into a hosting control panel for email options.. I much more prefer Zimbra over the mail options that come built in with HSphere and cPanel and the rest... typical sendmail/qmail mailboxes and such. Zimbra is much more feature-rich..

For me personally mobile isn't a huge issue, since I have unlimited data and am fine with IMAP polling my mailbox once every 15 minutes. The only thing I'd really like like out of it at the moment are the hot backup, and the ability to move mailboxes from one server to another at the whim of one command. But what I can hack up in shell scripts suits my needs.

My point to asking was that I was considering the idea that offering someone 25 mailboxes at $5 a month on the Open Source edition (considering the lack of more "premium features") is a lot cheaper than a minimum of $2/month per mailbox just to recover the fee to license NE. It would provide a "prettier" alternative to mailboxes than what current webhosting providers provide, with the same competitive price, and still provide them with more features than they can currently get with those canned mail hosting systems.

One could also run both OSS and NE on different systems/networks and let users pick and choose which systems they want accounts on, depending on their needs. A cheaper alternative for the average joe who wants a domain for his family but doesn't want to use Squirrelmail or Horde

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Yes zimbra OSS Shared hosting is very well possible and profitable.
    We are already doing it and also have our control panels integrated.

NE gives you lot more functions and selling “both” OSS shared and NE shared is a good business model, as from our experience there are lot more people who don’t want Mobile functions but do want robust email which OSS edition happily provide.

Raj

And again everybody is talking about email. Does this mean that the other features are not used or are not valuable in the eyes of businesses?

P.S.
    raj, you explained that you have integrated zimbra on your control panels. Does this mean that users use Zimbra instead of Horde, neo etc mail when login for their email? What for companie do you work for and what is the main reason for people buying the NE version?
    Last edited by Tmanagement; 10-26-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information