Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Options on moving from Exchange w/o access

Mr. B is offline Intermediate Member

Question [SOLVED] Options on moving from Exchange w/o access

In looking through the forums I see that most admins are migrating from machines that they have physical and/or admin access to or most of their current users are using one form of Outlook to access their messages. I see that migration or importing under these circumstances is fairly straight forward using the tools and importers supplied by the Zimbra team.
    My company currently uses e-mail supplied from a vendor running Exchange 2007. Only a handful of my users use Outlook or Outlook Express (via POP3) to access their mail. Importing these should be no problem. All the rest use Outlook Web Access and therefore there is no .pst file to import for them.
    What are my options since I don't have access of any type to the Exchange server? I'm not sure how much help the Exchange admin will be since I'm taking more than a few dollars from his pocket!
    Sorry for both the length of the post and the noob question but I have not seen this scenario in the forums.

Thanks in advance for any information... It's more than I had to start with!

Michael

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The easiest thing to do, if it's just email, is to use Thunderbird to connect to both server and drag'n'drop the mail from one server to the other. There is a minor blip, you'll need to login to the Zimbra server with '/tb' appended to the login username so that we work round a bug in Thunderbird that gets the dates wrong when it copies the mail.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Not knowing what I don't know yet...

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply. Thunderbird worked fine but in testing I see that I need to figure out how to migrate the boxes from the Exchange box to mine. Too many messages and too many different folders and last but not least, severe variations in user abilities.

Knowing less about Exchange than I do about Zimbra, I'm hoping I can have the e-mail boxes that I would like to keep (10 or so) posted to the vendors FTP site and access them that way. Would these be in .pst format? If so, I have a few ideas on how to get them onto the Zimbra server, but at this point all information is good information.

I realize I should be asking the other admin but I'd like to know a little more before starting this conversation for reasons mentioned in my first post.

Thanks again,

Michael

I can't think why I suggested Thunderbird before rather than the Exchange Migration Wizard in Zimbra? The only proviso for that is that you'll need a Windows PC to run the wizard and have a copy of Outlook 2003 installed, you have some machines with Outlook installed don't you?
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-28-2007 at 06:46 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks again!

I misunderstood the way in which this tool ran. I thought it had to be run on the Exchange server. I have a few computers set up on XP and Outlook 2003.

I have noticed that I may still have problems as the Exchange server is running Exchange 2007. Will this tool work on 2007, or should I wait for 5.0 before attempting. I of course would be "playing" with my mailbox first.

Again, thanks for the quick reply!

Michael

Yes, the migration wizard for Exchange 2007 would be a version 5 feature. There will be a beta (actually RC1) version of Zimbra 5 shortly that you could test it wit but GA for v5 is scheduled for November.
    Regards

Bill

Default New Migration Tool Download?

I have a properly configured Outlook 2003 profile that does connect to the Exchange server and does "pull over" everything into Outlook correctly. Having said that I could not migrate my mail box over to my Zimbra server using the current Migration Tool. During the “Source and Destination Mailboxes” step, nothing appears under any header (Zimbra Account, Exchange Store DN or Exchange Server DN). Selecting "Query Builder" yields no ability to "browse" to the mail box.

Is this a case of my account not having proper permissions on the Exchange server? Or do I need the latest and greatest Migration Tool?

If the later, is there a way to download the new Exchange 2007 migration tool as a single file?

TIA for all your help,

Michael

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

Is your windows machine a member of the same domain as the exchange server?
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

mstreet is offline Active Member

Default Append /tb to copy Thunderbird Mail to Zimbra?

I should have read this post before I did this... I cannot login with the /tb appended to my login name. If I could I would go around the block again by moving them back out and back in again.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The easiest thing to do, if it's just email, is to use Thunderbird to connect to both server and drag'n'drop the mail from one server to the other. There is a minor blip, you'll need to login to the Zimbra server with '/tb' appended to the login username so that we work round a bug in Thunderbird that gets the dates wrong when it copies the mail.

Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

When I start the migration tool and have a connection to the Exchange server, am I not at that time a "member" of that domain? We are changing domain names with the switch to Zimbra.

During the set up of an exchange profile to the Exchange server, both the server name and my user name are both "underlined". I took that to mean I had a good connection with at least "log in" permissions. Am I wrong in this?

When starting the tool I do get a "log into 'name of exchange server' " window that does accept my user name and password. Although I don't get much further (see above post), that's why the question of my permissions on the Exchange server.

Having read in other posts that migrating from Exchange 2007 needed a newer migration tool than what is currently available. I’m trying to find out if that is the case for me too. If the newer tool is not yet available, I’ll need to come up with other solutions soon, as proposed migration and go live on Zimbra date is Oct 28th.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information