Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Migration from Groupwise 6

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Also... when it tries to create the Trusted Application, I had to wait about 30 seconds before trying to start the actual migration, as GW had to pass around (via MTA/Admin?) the credentials/settings. You can check to see if the trusted app connection is made in ConsoleOne... select your PostOffice, pulldown menu Tools, GroupWise System Operations, Trusted Applications...

Ian Forbes is offline Intermediate Member

Default Advansys ArchiveToGo

Hi

Does the Advansys ArchiveToGo tool convert local Groupwise archives to a pst file format, so other Zimbra tools could then import the mail?

No - it is its' own format. Basically, it is XML-formatted text for each message.

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    No - it is its' own format. Basically, it is XML-formatted text for each message.
    Hmmm. I'm a little confused Would this tool allow me to take my Groupwise locally archived mail and either convert into a format like pst or directly import right into Zimbra? Essentially, I'd like a tool that I can use once and forget about it once everything is in Zimbra. It sounds like the tool you mention is used alongside Zimbra.

We had no interest in taking GW archives and putting them into the 'live' Zimbra mailbox - that defeats the purpose of the original intension of the archive, to take old/infrequently needed emails and pull them from a live mailbox. Without converting the archive to a different format, GroupWise would still be required. By licensing this Advansys Archive2go, you one-time convert the archive to a more neutral format. Advansys includles a viewer (exe) to look at/search the converted archives. It is _not_ in a format to move to PST, or to import into Zimbra.

So, "no" to answer your two questions with regard to this tool.

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    We had no interest in taking GW archives and putting them into the 'live' Zimbra mailbox - that defeats the purpose of the original intension of the archive, to take old/infrequently needed emails and pull them from a live mailbox. Without converting the archive to a different format, GroupWise would still be required. By licensing this Advansys Archive2go, you one-time convert the archive to a more neutral format. Advansys includles a viewer (exe) to look at/search the converted archives. It is _not_ in a format to move to PST, or to import into Zimbra.

So, "no" to answer your two questions with regard to this tool.
    Thanks for the information. Although this sounds like a great tool I was looking for something that would actually ingest the archived mails into Zimbra. With Zimbra's Hierarchacal Storage Management (HSM) any emails over 30 days are moved to a different tier of disk anyways (i.e. less expensive SATA drives). This places everything in one place for easy access to search - rather then having to search across Zimbra and Advansys.
    Thanks for the information though.

jonallport is offline Special Member

Flup!

That was me throwing my hat into the ring!!!

I too am about to embark on that self-same migration (GW 6.0.4/NW6SP9 -> ZCS 5.0.x FOSS/Ubuntu 8.x). I don't have any archive folders and about 75 live users. I plan to use the IMAP4 servers to pull GW mail and push to Zimbra is there a better solution (cheapskate FOSS user, no NE migration tools!)?

TIA

Jon

jonallport is offline Special Member

Update:

Have done the migration now. Added the GW account to Zimbra (gwia.nlm /imap4) and synced

Warnings/notes
    - If folders contain more than 4096 messages will not sync fully
    - If users have filed their e-mail in the document store, (don't laugh, that was someone in Sales) they'll not be included in the sync
    - Make a hard folder for 'Sent', not 'search result'

74 accounts, mailbox sizes between 0 and 4.8GB took about 1.5 days to do it (0800-1630, -lunch, -other work)

Hope that helps someone else on the road from Provo, UT to Sunnyvale, CA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information