I tried to document this process so someone could copy it if they need to:
Install/Move/Upgrade Zimbra OS
So I ran out of server space on the original zimbra server.
I have since found all the log files filling up disk space.
But thats ok.
I had not used 'documents' feature and people were asking to use it.
So I needed to move the zimbra to a new disk image.
I run CentOS on a vmware server.
We do about 45k emails a day on 80 domains.
Here is goes:
Install CentOS 5 from DVD
Installed no packages.
Note the same domain for both, this is very key. I used the name of Server 1.
yum -y update
yum remove sendmail
might not be there, just checking
yum install openssl097a compat-libstdc++-296 compat-libstdc++-33 compat-db sudo curl gmp fetchmail wget
and delete the line LANG=”en_US.UTF-8”
Reboot the system (for changes to take effect).
OK System is Ready:
1. Login and change directory to /var/tmp.
2. Download the Zimbra software wget ttp://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/zimbra/zcs-4.5.6_GA_1044.FC5.tgz
3. Uncompress the download tar xzvf zcs-4*.gz.
4. Change directory to zcs.
It asked about updating, select yes.
It should find all your config settings for zimbra.
If you mess up, uninstall zimbra, delete the /opt/zimbra directory on Server2.
Then repeat steps above and don't make the mistake in the config again.
OK, the tough part:
This is how I plan to do this:
5. Shut down zimbra on Server 1
6. rsync -v -o -r /opt/zimbra/ root@otherserverIP:/opt/zimbra/ on Server 1
OK now I have copy moved.
I can turn on Server 1 and let it run as my go back strategy.
This turned out to be a good idea, since it saved time on migration day.
The rsync just did an incremental update.
Now the change!!
If you go away and want to do this later then just rerun the following to update the changes since the last rync:
rsync -vo /opt/zimbra/ root@otherserverIP:/opt/zimbra/ on Server 1
Go ahead plan:
7. Shut down zimbra on Server 1
8. Update DNS to new ip address of Server 2
9. change dns/mx to point to Server 2
10. run /var/tmp/install.sh on Server 2 as upgrade
11. login as zimbra user on Server 2,
10. startup zimbra on new server,
11. check status of start
If not all programs are running then look to forums for the correction.
Should be good!!!!
Test sending an email
Test receiving an email
Test docuement folder if you use them
I sat and watched the log file for errors:
return to root user
#tail -f /var/log/zimbra.log
Most problems are based on permissions on folders.
So check with forums and wiki