Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] scalix user, looking at zimbra

bangsters is offline Special Member

Default [SOLVED] scalix user, looking at zimbra

Hi.

I'm currently a scalix user. Been using them for over a year now, but I'm looking at zimbra and possibly migrate have a couple questions tho

1. used to have outlook connector for mapi. does zimbra have something like this? If i'll deploy this in the company I should be able to integrate with outlook as all our user are already used to outlook.

2. does it integrate with evolution as well? i'm currently trying evolution connect with scalix but i can't get to send emails. with zimbra does it integrate with evolution as well (calendar, tasks, etc) or just IMAP?

3. speed-wise, how does it compare with scalix?

4. price, since we do not have a lot of user currently.

5. I have another company, webhosting and servers and the like. can I deploy this for my webhosting users? if so what are the steps and price involved?

6. can the interface be rebranded or something? skin perhaps?

thanks and looking forward to zimbra

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,
    1. used to have outlook connector for mapi. does zimbra have something like this? If i'll deploy this in the company I should be able to integrate with outlook as all our user are already used to outlook.
    1) There is an excellent MAPI Outlook Connector for the network edition (and isync connector for apple users)

2. does it integrate with evolution as well? i'm currently trying evolution connect with scalix but i can't get to send emails. with zimbra does it integrate with evolution as well (calendar, tasks, etc) or just IMAP?
    2) There's also an Evolution Connector (but no tasks supported from the zimbra side until v5-check out the beta to see where that's at - also, a built in IM client is in the works)

3. speed-wise, how does it compare with scalix?
    3) scalability/performance/benchmark pdf personal opinion: works great! (sry I don't have a personal comparison)

4. price, since we do not have a lot of user currently.
    4) Anywhere from $0 to the cost for the number of users you require on the NE edition. For Open Source vs Network Edition functionality start here: Compare editions (should be noted that the outlook connector your interested in is in the NE edition) Pricing info

5. I have another company, webhosting and servers and the like. can I deploy this for my webhosting users? if so what are the steps and price involved?
    5) Yes of course! You can make use of the free open source or paid network edition. (don't know if you rent vs own, but if you rent virtual or dedicated machines: essentially meet min requirements, root access to a supported os, modify DNS MX records, some hosting companies require routing smtp traffic through their servers etc)

6. can the interface be rebranded or something? skin perhaps?
    6) Yup, tons of modifications possible; an example. OS edition users must be sure to include the Zimbra powered logo -and keep respective copyrights intact of course- see the trademark/branding faq (also see the full license faq)
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-04-2007 at 10:20 PM.

thanks for the very fast reply.

can i just deply the OS version together with my webhosting services aslong as I keep the zimbra copyright? or do I need to fill something out or become a partner/reseller or something liek that? also, what about the contact list, will it be shared among all users on differnt domains/accounts? with sc***x everyone sees each other that's why i couldn't use it with my webhosting...

btw, i have my own boxes so I guess that helps in implementing zimbra? what are the min requirements anyhow?

thanks again sir

btw, i have my own boxes so I guess that helps in implementing zimbra? what are the min requirements anyhow?
    Install Guides/Docs/Requirements (though there are more docs like for the RH clustering install guide etc elsewhere)

Check out the wiki as well

also, what about the contact list, will it be shared among all users on differnt domains/accounts? with sc***x everyone sees each other that's why i couldn't use it with my webhosting...
    The Global Address List (GAL)? No by default it is set to DOMAIN level.

If you ever want them steps to link the GAL's across domains - ie: 1 single GAL for 2 domains
    zmprov modifyConfig zimbraGalInternalSearchBase ROOT
    Note: Domains can inherit certain values from the global config if the value is unset on them. Try changing the global value and see if that also changes the value on the domains. If it doesn't work, you'll have to run "modifyDomain {domain} ..." on each domain.

can i just deply the OS version together with my webhosting services aslong as I keep the zimbra copyright? or do I need to fill something out or become a partner/reseller or something liek that?
    And logo...but essentially nothing else needed...see sourceforge for the OS files.
    Download the NE 60 day trial here and convert to OS when your done
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-04-2007 at 10:59 PM.

thanks...looks like i'm very tempted right now to try it....couple more things if you don't mind...

how can i migrate my existing scalix users?

how can i migrate my other company, which uses a combination of yahoo business and outlook via pop3. i would assume this should be easy since emails are already stored locally in their outlook.

lastly, do I need NE if I want to deploy in my webhosting clients? does this mean I can't bundle it with my webhosting package and I would need to charge each of my webhositng clients an additional $35/yr to upgrade to zimbra? or can I use OS version so they have a better webmail than IMP, and if they want the outlook connectivity that's when they pay extra?

thanks again...i'm so far liking it here

how can i migrate my existing scalix users?
    Methods:
    User Migration - ZimbraWiki
    how can i migrate my other company, which uses a combination of yahoo business and outlook via pop3. i would assume this should be easy since emails are already stored locally in their outlook.
    there's also an outlook PST import wizard to grab emails, contacts, cal

lastly, do I need NE if I want to deploy in my webhosting clients? does this mean I can't bundle it with my webhosting package and I would need to charge each of my webhositng clients an additional $35/yr to upgrade to zimbra? or can I use OS version so they have a better webmail than IMP, and if they want the outlook connectivity that's when they pay extra?
    Already answered twice, you can use either edition, see features lists. I suggest you download both the NE trial and you can choose to become a paid customer or switch/convert it to the OS edition.

thanks again...i'm so far liking it here
    your welcome
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-04-2007 at 11:02 PM.

We're often asked if you can install the Network Edition Trial first and then revert to the Open Source Edition later if you decide not to subscribe. The answer is absolutely - all your email data, etc. will be left intact plus you get the added benefit of support from the Zimbra team for the life of the Trial. http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html
    Once again my recommendation so that you see the full functionality:
    http://www.zimbra.com/products/download_network.html
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-04-2007 at 11:03 PM.

ok i'm sold....i might go two ways...get NE for my client, probably start 25 cals up to 50, then use OS for my hosting company

if i use OS for my hosting company, how do I do those accounts who want to upgrade to NE, a 2nd installation of NE box? also, can this replace and integrate into hsphere and fully replace IMP and squirelmail which IMO are too old lol...

looks like i'll be busy this weekend doing some migration to zimbra...

You will have to keep the NE boxes separate from your OS boxes-both types of users on the same mailstore can't be mixed for lots of reasons.

Done lots of squirrelmail conversions using just imapsync to migrate.
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-04-2007 at 11:13 PM.

ok thanks. 2 boxes should be fine....will do some testing over the weekend so i have ample time

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information