Thread: CoS, Domain, Server

wcbenyip is offline Senior Member

Question CoS, Domain, Server

I do understand that the CoS is the preset configuration which could be assigned for the domain(s). However, I am not sure the definition of "Server".... does it means the physical server hosting the ZCS with zimbra services? What if I have created more than one domains in the single server? And I have a little bit confused with the option of CoS in the "Server Pool" tab -> "Limit server pool available for creating new users in this COS to:"..... In the case of more than one server, how to control which domain is using which server's service?? Thanks~

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wcbenyip View Post
    I do understand that the CoS is the preset configuration which could be assigned for the domain(s).
    Class of service can also be assigned on a per user basis. But in the domain's section you assign new (and old) users a default cos. And they keep those settings until the individual or you changes them. (you'll be able to tell what the user can't set but you can)
    However, I am not sure the definition of "Server".... does it means the physical server hosting the ZCS with zimbra services? What if I have created more than one domains in the single server? And I have a little bit confused with the option of CoS in the "Server Pool" tab -> "Limit server pool available for creating new users in this COS to:"..... In the case of more than one server, how to control which domain is using which server's service??
    You can have as many domains as you want and across as many servers as you want. The purpose of 'limit server pool available for creating new users in this COS' is to put new users on a certain physical mailstore. You might limit one mailstore server to providing services for one client or group of workers. Or if you have serveral offices and datacenters accross the country, it makes no sense to provide email to the workers in california with a server in new york. So you limit them to servers physically located close to there.
    Now if a user is already on another server you need to use the zmmailboxmove command.

I hope that helps clarify it-you might check out the manual/documentation as well.
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.

wcbenyip is offline Senior Member

Then that means, one server could contain / host many domains~ But I dun understand what's the purpose to have more than one server? To share the mailstore and mail routing workload? Also, can I manage all of the domains from the admin web panel of any server in case there is more than one server is installed with ZCS?

Quote Originally Posted by wcbenyip View Post
    Then that means, one server could contain / host many domains
    Oh yes most definately!

But I dun understand what's the purpose to have more than one server? To share the mailstore and mail routing workload?
    Yup because 12-18 million mailboxes would be a little tough on one server (comcast deal)
    Also see the service provider benchmark pdf.
    Also, can I manage all of the domains from the admin web panel of any server in case there is more than one server is installed with ZCS?
    Yes see the OS multi-server install guide as well. (there's also RH clustering support for NE customers...)

Below might be a typical 6 server setup:
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-14-2008 at 09:05 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Multi Server Install guide on the Documentation page.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Sound's like this is going to get above what your doing currently...but something to keep in mind for future expansion and reliability: Installation-Planning for Multi-Server Install - ZimbraWiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-24-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information