Thread: Bas Install Requirements: size of things other than /opt?

dspillett is offline Loyal Member

Default Base Install Requirements: size of things other than /opt?

Am I right in thinking that everything Zimbra records, including logs from the various daemons it delegates tasks to, goes into /opt/zimbra? Does it not make use of anything else like /tmp?

I'm putting together a new setup (having played with my previous trial run in a VM on an old server, I'm putting together a fresh one of a beefier new box) and I'm trying to judge the size that things other than /opt should be. As I'm using LVM for the whole setup, resizing things later won't be a problem, but I'd prefer to get it right first .

Would this do as a starting point (the VM will initially have 1Gb RAM, this may increase later):
    Code:
    /       2Gb
      1Gb
    /opt    30Gb
    I can extend /opt in future if that proves too small, but this installation is only ever going to be used by a small number of people with at most a couple of Gb of mail each. The VM's install will be based on Ubuntu/LTS and will run nothing but Zimbra and an small task collecting system/use health stats and storing them using RRDTool.
    Last edited by dspillett; 06-10-2007 at 02:49 AM. Reason: (edit to correct typo in thread title)

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

not entirely, it does use /tmp for a couple of, well, temp files but the size is negligable. it stuffs a couple of config files elsewhere but again the size is negligable. the major thing spacewise outside of /opt is the loggging in /var/log. /var/log/zimbra.log and also /var/log/messages can grow to quite large size. also remember mailstores can be relocated anywhere outside of /opt.

dspillett is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    not entirely, it does use /tmp for a couple of, well, temp files but the size is negligable. it stuffs a couple of config files elsewhere but again the size is negligable. the major thing spacewise outside of /opt is the loggging in /var/log. /var/log/zimbra.log and also /var/log/messages can grow to quite large size. also remember mailstores can be relocated anywhere outside of /opt.
    Thanks for the info. At that rate I'll have a separate volume in the volume group for /var (or have /var as a symlink to a directory under /opt) so it has room to grow and is included in the backups. Maybe a separate /tmp too and keep the root filesystem pretty small.

Of the "config files that are placed elsewhere" - do you know what these are specifically? I am currently planning to backup using LVMs snapshots of /opt, but if there are extra critical files elsewhere I need to add them to the backup plan.

Thread Information