Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: [SOLVED] Clamav problem ? What's happening ?

  1. #11
    kuba is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OH, USA
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Yeah, that fixes things (clamd takes time to start up)

    I can confirm that changing the interval to 180 fixes things. It takes approx 100 seconds on my PE2650 (2xXeon 2.4GHz) server for clamd to start up. If it doesn't start up in the interval specified in zmmtaconfig, it will get re-started again and again.

    I didn't upgrade zimbra's clamav to a newer version or anything. This is a RHEL4 system, and I do have a regular clamav rpm installed, and I could use that instead. Rather, I just opted for redhat's package to start up freshclam and not clamd, as there is a local copy of havp/squid combo to virus-filter the web traffic (this is our mail/squid server).

    I presume it wouldn't be such a big deal to have zimbra just use the distribution-provided clamd, but there's just no need -- havp uses libclam only and there's no need for redhat's clamd running, only zimbra's and it works. Slow startup, but works nevertheless.

  2. #12
    rernst is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuba View Post
    I can confirm that changing the interval to 180 fixes things. It takes approx 100 seconds on my PE2650 (2xXeon 2.4GHz) server for clamd to start up. If it doesn't start up in the interval specified in zmmtaconfig, it will get re-started again and again.

    I didn't upgrade zimbra's clamav to a newer version or anything. This is a RHEL4 system, and I do have a regular clamav rpm installed, and I could use that instead. Rather, I just opted for redhat's package to start up freshclam and not clamd, as there is a local copy of havp/squid combo to virus-filter the web traffic (this is our mail/squid server).

    I presume it wouldn't be such a big deal to have zimbra just use the distribution-provided clamd, but there's just no need -- havp uses libclam only and there's no need for redhat's clamd running, only zimbra's and it works. Slow startup, but works nevertheless.
    Just wanted to add my affirmation here that my AMD Sempron (don't even know the speed but plenty fast as a Zimbra server) takes slightly over 2 minutes to load the database. I saw that the interval had already been increased to 120 seconds but apparently the 180 seconds mentioned here are the magic number.

  3. #13
    aNt1X is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile !!!

    happy to see i'm not alone, and that my trick works

    btw, i thought that i had to upgrade my Celeron Coppermine 733Mhz, but i see that even a 2xXeon 2.4GHz takes so long to load the db

    see ya!

  4. #14
    cglusky is offline Starter Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Thank you very much for this post. Was having the same problem on OS X running a Dual 1GHz G4 w/ 1.5GB RAM. Once I increased interval I deleted contents of clam log (it was filled with restarts) and it works fine.

    Thanks Again!
    C

  5. #15
    JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aNt1X View Post
    Ok, i solved modifying the watchdog interval in /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtaconfig

    [CODE]
    my %config = (
    progname => "zmmtaconfig",
    hostname => $ENV{zimbra_server_hostname},
    loglevel => 3,
    watchdog => 1,
    wd_all => 0,
    debug => 0,
    interval => 180,
    baseDir => "/opt/zimbra",
    logStatus => ( 4 => "Debug", 3 => "Info", 2 => "Warning", 1 => "Error", 0 =$
    );[CODE]

    (i extended the interval value from 60 to 180).

    I was going crazy looking at crontabs, but this watchdog process wasn't in the crontab, but in this perl script

    I hope it will not break something else ...

    Thank you anyway.

    aNt1X
    As a quick note, this started occurring to me. For some reason the anti virus was taking far too long to come up and I had to modify this value to get the process to come up correctly.

  6. #16
    andydread is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    8

    Default System speed.

    Not sure if this helps but we are having the same problem with 4.5.5 OS
    running on Ubuntu 6 on a 4core 2S Opteron server with 6GB ram. I would think this machine should be decent enough to load the database under 2 minutes but not sure why it takes so long to load.

    Output of top with zimbra running properly (50 users)

    Tasks: 202 total, 1 running, 201 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu0 : 4.7% us, 3.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 88.0% id, 4.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    Cpu1 : 4.7% us, 2.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 93.0% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    Cpu2 : 2.0% us, 2.7% sy, 0.0% ni, 95.3% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    Cpu3 : 3.7% us, 2.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 94.0% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    Mem: 6233236k total, 5137252k used, 1095984k free, 237728k buffers
    Swap: 6225912k total, 172k used, 6225740k free, 3334916k cached


    Output from /proc/cpuinfo ( CPU 3 - 4th CPU)

    processor : 3
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 65
    model name : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2210
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1800.174
    cache size : 1024 KB
    physical id : 1
    siblings : 2
    core id : 1
    cpu cores : 2
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy
    bogomips : 3600.14

  7. #17
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,566
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andydread View Post
    Not sure if this helps but we are having the same problem with 4.5.5 OS
    Have you made the changes outlined in the post above?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  8. #18
    mmorse's Avatar
    mmorse is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    4.5.7 will have a fix for this/a newer clamav version.
    If your having trouble in the mean time, modify the watchdog timeout or attempt to update clamav.
    Last edited by mmorse; 02-27-2008 at 01:32 PM.

  9. #19
    andydread is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Yep I changed the timeout from 60 - 180
    it seems to be working now. Just was wondering why it needs that long to
    start the database on this particular beast. I suspect its clamav issue in and
    of itself. Found others running into similar issues running clamav without
    zimbra at all. Hopefully the new version that comes with 4.5.7 when it comes
    out will be faster at loading the database too.

  10. #20
    jholder's Avatar
    jholder is offline Former Zimbran
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andydread View Post
    Yep I changed the timeout from 60 - 180
    it seems to be working now. Just was wondering why it needs that long to
    start the database on this particular beast. I suspect its clamav issue in and
    of itself. Found others running into similar issues running clamav without
    zimbra at all. Hopefully the new version that comes with 4.5.7 when it comes
    out will be faster at loading the database too.
    Yeah, it left us scratching our heads as well. We didn't exactly *patch* this. We just upgraded clamav, and it seemed to go away. We're hoping it was an issue with the version of clamd that we bundled.

    ::crossing our fingers::

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Howto: Update ClamAV
    By unilogic in forum Administrators
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 05:28 AM
  2. Zimbra, WM5.0, AS + problem with regional fonts
    By wojo2000 in forum Zimbra Mobile
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 01:04 AM
  3. clamav problem?
    By dcm in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 11:10 AM
  4. Is it started or not
    By kwelipatton in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •