Thread: How much memory needed, *really* -- for small installation

1010011010 is offline Starter Member

Default How much memory needed, *really* -- for small installation

I have a FC5 server with 512 MB of memory. I'd like to migrate from sendmail/dovecot to Zimbra. The machine is likely to have only 4-6 users, as it's for family email only. Most will be using IMAP clients such as Apple Mail and Thunderbird. There will be some smartphone clients as well.

512 MB is below the recommendation -- but will it be useable? I installed the open source version on a similar machine and fooled with the web ui for a few minutes, and it seemed ok. Once actually processing mail on the internet, though, and with 4-6 simultaneous actual clients, will it swap to death?

RyecoAaron is offline Senior Member

If you turned off the logger, turned off AV/AS, and tweaked mysql's memory use, you could probably get away with it. I run an FC4 server with 1 gig or memory and it runs well with about six users. I just checked the memory use and it was using about 750 megs total including the OS and openssh running.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

agreed. You possibly could get it to work.

I have been trying all day to get zimbra installed on a 256MB machine (just for the heck of it) and have had no luck.
    No logger, snmp, or spell should get you going.

1010011010 is offline Starter Member

Thanks for the encouraging replies.

Related question -- is there a way to install or configure zimbra's various components such that it binds to only one (public) IP address on a machine with more than one assigned?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Related question -- is there a way to install or configure zimbra's various components such that it binds to only one (public) IP address on a machine with more than one assigned?
    The quick answer to that is no, not yet. There are some threads in the forum (and an entry in bugzilla) about binding to one IP - I believe some users have had partial success, do a search of the forums.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    I have a FC5 server with 512 MB of memory. I'd like to migrate from sendmail/dovecot to Zimbra. The machine is likely to have only 4-6 users, as it's for family email only. Most will be using IMAP clients such as Apple Mail and Thunderbird. There will be some smartphone clients as well.

512 MB is below the recommendation -- but will it be useable? I installed the open source version on a similar machine and fooled with the web ui for a few minutes, and it seemed ok. Once actually processing mail on the internet, though, and with 4-6 simultaneous actual clients, will it swap to death?
    I have a xen box with a similar configuration, and it works very well, with nothing disabled.

Thread Information