Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I give up... I can't figure this Zimbra out

R1 Kid is offline Starter Member

Angry I give up... I can't figure this Zimbra out

My adventure started when I read that Comcast and Zimbra joined forces. I've had comcast for years and I thought I would see what all the fuss was about.

I thought, no problem. I've installed many many suites like this that handle mail...calender...etc. But this time, I was wrong

I've only been a Mac user for just under a year, but how hard could it be? Well I've spent ALL day looking through these forums to no avail. I'm lost, confused, ill, and to top it all off... I can't even figure out how to uninstall this #%$@* thing.

I loaded the Open source suite first. It wen't so-so. Thought well maybe I need to "Desktop" download to make it all come together. Nope! *now back to before I downloaded the Desktop* I had DNS ERROR's all over the place. I'm not smart enough nor could I find any good answers in here to get it resolved. Well I got past that *still not sure if it went through ok or not*. It ended up disabiling postfix in launchd.

Then checked for port conflicts. I needed to SET a Admin Password. I got that part figured out ok.

It got to the bottom and said *** CONFIGURATION COMPLETE - press 'a' to apply. So of course I typed in "a", saved configuration data to a file.

Went down a long list of "adding new entry "bla-bla-bla"... then said Done.

Installed skins...

Created a bunch more stuff

Notified Zimbra of installation [YES]

Starting servers...Done.

a couple more things and finally...
    Configuration complete - press return to exit

So basically I got out of all that.... NOTHING!!!

Don't know how to start it.. Doesn't look like its completely installed to begin with. Which isn't all too bad because I know there are a lot of things way over my head. I just click on "Uninstall" and it undoes itself. Or better yet just drag it over to the AppZapper and let it do it for me. BUT like I said.. I can't even uninstall it!

Can someone please walk me through getting this off my machine so I can free up precious memory? I'm on an Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.4.9.

This is just one open source bit of software I'll have to live without. Although I will say that the Demo's had me all worked up and excited. Too bad the average user can't get it to operate correctly.

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by R1 Kid View Post
    My adventure started when I read that Comcast and Zimbra joined forces. I've had comcast for years and I thought I would see what all the fuss was about.

I thought, no problem. I've installed many many suites like this that handle mail...calender...etc. But this time, I was wrong

I've only been a Mac user for just under a year, but how hard could it be? Well I've spent ALL day looking through these forums to no avail. I'm lost, confused, ill, and to top it all off... I can't even figure out how to uninstall this #%$@* thing.

I loaded the Open source suite first. It wen't so-so. Thought well maybe I need to "Desktop" download to make it all come together. Nope! *now back to before I downloaded the Desktop* I had DNS ERROR's all over the place. I'm not smart enough nor could I find any good answers in here to get it resolved. Well I got past that *still not sure if it went through ok or not*. It ended up disabiling postfix in launchd.

Then checked for port conflicts. I needed to SET a Admin Password. I got that part figured out ok.

It got to the bottom and said *** CONFIGURATION COMPLETE - press 'a' to apply. So of course I typed in "a", saved configuration data to a file.

Went down a long list of "adding new entry "bla-bla-bla"... then said Done.

Installed skins...

Created a bunch more stuff

Notified Zimbra of installation [YES]

Starting servers...Done.

a couple more things and finally...
    Configuration complete - press return to exit

So basically I got out of all that.... NOTHING!!!

Don't know how to start it.. Doesn't look like its completely installed to begin with. Which isn't all too bad because I know there are a lot of things way over my head. I just click on "Uninstall" and it undoes itself. Or better yet just drag it over to the AppZapper and let it do it for me. BUT like I said.. I can't even uninstall it!

Can someone please walk me through getting this off my machine so I can free up precious memory? I'm on an Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.4.9.

This is just one open source bit of software I'll have to live without. Although I will say that the Demo's had me all worked up and excited. Too bad the average user can't get it to operate correctly.
    I'm a bit confused here, are you trying to run this as a server, or as a client application? Zimbra is a server application, and you need to route mail via DNS to the server. Once it's installed, you can access it by going to http://localhost or https://localhost.

I'm not sure that's what you are trying to do, since you are installing this on a Macbook not a server.

If you are using Comcast to handle all of your mail, you are going to have to wait until Comcast and Zimbra actually finish their implementation to use the service, or route a different domain to your server.

Searching for "Uninstall OS X Zimbra" on Google returned as the first hit the following:

Uninstall in Mac OS X?

sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/zimbra-* /opt/zimbra

(This will leave a bit of cruft in your launchd, but since the application doesn't exist, it won't take any resources up)

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

install.sh -u

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by R1 Kid View Post
    check out some of the service providers if you want to make an account somewhere in the mean time:
    http://www.zimbra.com/partners/zimbra_hosting.html

cookies is offline Junior Member

Default password help

I can't remember my password and nowher does it say where to go except contact my administrator, and who might that be?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    I can't remember my password and nowher does it say where to go except contact my administrator, and who might that be?
    Which password are you talking about?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Which password are you talking about?
    my email password, kaxy.com all leads to zimba and I am lost now

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    my email password, kaxy.com all leads to zimba and I am lost now
    You'll have to contact them, Zimbra is a software vendor and we do not have access to your email or password. Have a look at their contact page here and contact their support.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You'll have to contact them, Zimbra is a software vendor and we do not have access to your email or password. Have a look at their contact page here and contact their support.
    I have numerous times and they don't reply, thanks anyway

I'm sorry we can't help you, they are the only ones with your details.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information