Thread: Using just the Zimbra webinterface leveragnig existing MTA, LDAP and IMAP

bcnx is offline Starter Member

Default Using just the Zimbra webinterface leveragnig existing MTA, LDAP and IMAP

Hi,

perhaps a long shot, but I was wondering if it would be possible to install Zimbra partly, just using the web interface and connecting to an existing OpenLDAP, Cyrus IMAP and Postfix MTA, preferably on a seperate server.

I use OpenExchange, but am not too thrilled with its web interface so I would be way cool to use Zimbra's.

Thanks!

B.

mmorse is offline Moderator

I already use external LDAP and an outside MTA (two actually: Exim and Postfix).
    This is no sweat to setup!

I take it your talking about not even using the zimbra storage features? (outside imap) never tried that. -heck don't even know how I would go about it.
    Indexing (and if u have the network edition, indexing attachments) makes zimbra powerful.
    Also how would you store cal/documents/addresses?
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-04-2007 at 12:54 PM.

bcnx is offline Starter Member

Addresses in OpenExchange are stored as LDAP entries below the user LDAP entries. Don't know if you can point to an external LDAP for addresses in Zambra.

The biggest issue would probably be to be able to an external IMAP server.

I could simply try, but I'd hate waste a lot of time and effort to something that might not be feasable in the first place!

Bart

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bcnx View Post
    Addresses in OpenExchange are stored as LDAP entries below the user LDAP entries. Don't know if you can point to an external LDAP for addresses in Zambra.

The biggest issue would probably be to be able to an external IMAP server.

I could simply try, but I'd hate waste a lot of time and effort to something that might not be feasable in the first place!

Bart
    Please use the search function. This topic has been covered in a lot of detail before.

Bottom line is that the front end is very tightly coupled with the back end via SOAP and JSON. It's not easy to replace the backend (you would have to emulate the entire protocol that goes back and forth) and frankly, not a good idea in general.

Zimbra uses a considerable Open Source "stack" under the Web front end to provide services, that includes mysql, lucene, httpd, tomcat, and amavisd. All of this would also have to be replicated.

Thread Information