Thread: Web Interface won't work outside NAT

toricred is offline Member

Default Web Interface won't work outside NAT

I've got a server setup on FC5 running the latest version as of 4/28/07. It sits behind a Netgear SPI firewall router (SPI is turned off) with split DNS configured. Everything works perfectly on the local LAN and e-mails are successfully sent and received from outside servers. The only problem is that when I try to access the web interface for checking mail outside my LAN, I get no response from the server. I have port forwarding turned on for ports 80, 443, and 25 (all TCP and UDP). I seem to be able to telnet to port 80 on the server, but I can't get the web page to come up. Any suggestions?

imarks001 is offline Active Member

Default tcpdump

Have you tried running tcpdump on the server to see if the requests actually make through your firewall to to server?

Quote Originally Posted by imarks001 View Post
    Have you tried running tcpdump on the server to see if the requests actually make through your firewall to to server?
    No I haven't. I'm primarily a Windows person with only a little Linux and networking knowledge. How do I use tcpdump for this?

jonnyRo is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by toricred View Post
    I've got a server setup on FC5 running the latest version as of 4/28/07. It sits behind a Netgear SPI firewall router (SPI is turned off) with split DNS configured. Everything works perfectly on the local LAN and e-mails are successfully sent and received from outside servers. The only problem is that when I try to access the web interface for checking mail outside my LAN, I get no response from the server. I have port forwarding turned on for ports 80, 443, and 25 (all TCP and UDP). I seem to be able to telnet to port 80 on the server, but I can't get the web page to come up. Any suggestions?
    PM me the external IP address if you want me to take a look. What it may be is that you cannot access the external IP via an internal machine. This is a fairly common limitation of most NAT setups.

Try asking a buddy to test it out from an external network. He might see the webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyRo View Post
    PM me the external IP address if you want me to take a look. What it may be is that you cannot access the external IP via an internal machine. This is a fairly common limitation of most NAT setups.

Try asking a buddy to test it out from an external network. He might see the webpage.
    I'll PM you in just a minute, but I think you are understanding the problem backwards. I can access it internally, it is externally I can't access it.

PM sent (2 actually).
    Last edited by toricred; 05-01-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: More information

Quote Originally Posted by toricred View Post
    I'll PM you in just a minute, but I think you are understanding the problem backwards. I can access it internally, it is externally I can't access it.

PM sent (2 actually).
    I don't know what I did (maybe changing to a static IP address), but all is working now.

Thread Information