Thread: DNS set up for Zimbra

Shrinivas is offline Intermediate Member

Default DNS set up for Zimbra

Please guide for Red Hat enterprise linux 4.0 DNS configuration required Zimbra Server. We are installing Zimbra primarily for migrating Exchange email to Zimbra? So for Zimbra installation what is the primary DNS address to be given? Is It windows?

Please treat this as urgent!!!

soxfan is offline Moderator

You need to have DNS working in order to get Zimbra up and running.
    So for Zimbra installation what is the primary DNS address to be given? Is It windows?
    Not sure what this means. If you have a working DNS server that your Windows clients are pointing to you may be able to use that assuming it is configured for both your internal network and the Internet.

You may want to look at the following Wiki pages:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=DNS
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_DNS
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_Domain

Default Installation - DNS domain name

In our case it is not working!

The Zimbra is Linux RHEL AS 4.0 version and directly connected to exchange server.

we have mail.nwtraders.msft for exchange AND it is for internal as well as internet

but Zimbra installation process is not taking/accepting.
    It says "host name can not be resoved against DNS"

Does Zimbara require DNS domain name server?

In Package optioon -> in network server what is supposed to be selected in exttra package?

Please help here as we are finding zimbra too tough
    Regards to you

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need to point DNS A & MX records to the Zimbra server, the /etc/hosts file needs to be checked. Please have a look at the Quick Start Guide on the Documentation page. If you're going to run in conjunction with another server then check the wiki for split domain - as soxfan has already indicated.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I'd like to help you out, but I'm having a tough time trying to understand your current setup.

The Zimbra is Linux RHEL AS 4.0 version and directly connected to exchange server.
    Directly connected? Meaning connecting via a cross-over cable or something like that?
    we have mail.nwtraders.msft for exchange AND it is for internal as well as internet
    This is the hostname of your Exchange server? I'm not seeing this as a valid Internet domain/host name.
    Zimbra does not require a DNS server setup on the same host, but it does require DNS to be working. Meaning that if your Zimbra server is called zimbra.domain.com, for example, you should be able to go to another host on your network and ping zimbra.domain.com. Also, you need DNS setup so that both internal and external email messages will be properly routed to the server.
    In Package optioon -> in network server what is supposed to be selected in exttra package?
    Don't know what this means. Are you referring to package options when installing RedHat?

Did you look at the Wiki pages that I referenced in my first post? Also, you didn't mention if you are dropping in Zimbra as an immediate replacement for your Exchange server, or are you planning on migrating users over to Zimbra in the course of time? This will be key to how you proceed.

Quote:
    Directly connected? Meaning connecting via a cross-over cable or something like that? -- [I]YES ..Will that work that way?[/I]

Quote:
    This is the hostname of your Exchange server? I'm not seeing this as a valid Internet domain/host name. --> Yes this is the hostname of the exchange
    Is this wrong?

Quote:

Zimbra does not require a DNS server setup on the same host, but it does require DNS to be working. Meaning that if your Zimbra server is called zimbra.domain.com, for example, you should be able to go to another host on your network and ping zimbra.domain.com. Also, you need DNS setup so that both internal and external email messages will be properly routed to the server.

Quote:

Don't know what this means. Are you referring to package options when installing RedHat?--> This is for installing the additional components , is this right? Please help

Did you look at the Wiki pages that I referenced in my first post? Also, you didn't mention if you are dropping in Zimbra as an immediate replacement for your Exchange server, or are you planning on migrating users over to Zimbra in the course of time? This will be key to how you proceed.

Sorry, my head's spinning a bit from this one.

Typically servers are connected up to a LAN via a switch/hub, not hanging off another server via a cross-over cable. You might be able to get it working this way, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

I guess mail.nwtraders.msft could be your internal host name of your Exchange server, but it doesn't seem like a valid Internet name. In any case, you need to have DNS configured properly, or you are never going to get Zimbra to work.

I still don't know what your are referring to by "additional components". If you are talking about the Zimbra install itself, and not the OS install, you probably want everything.

tbullock is offline Advanced Member

You will also need to edit your /etc/resolv.conf file to point it to the proper server on your network that is handling your DNS.

Even if you have your zimbra server properly registered in your DNS server, without telling Zimbra where to look it will not be able to resolve its hostname and your install will fail.
    Cheers,

Travis

"Let's look at this from a standpoint of "Status". What exactly, on the Space Craft, IS working?"
    -Flight Control, Apollo 13

easytouch is offline Senior Member

Default Clean separated setup and migration afterwards is better

I would definitely vote for a clean setup of the Zimbra Server with correct DNS settings for the MX and hostname, completely separated from the Exchange server.

The DNS Switch afterwards should give you less time offline, than the tricks you have to make if you are riding a quite unusual takeover procedure with special cabling.

The clean hostname and DNS settings are a must. I have learned it the hard way many times. Please try to get the urgency out of the project and spend now somemore wise hours. It's better than troubleshooting for days afterwards.

Thread Information