Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam Training: How to properly train DSPAM?

Tenshi is offline Junior Member

Default Spam Training: How to properly train DSPAM?

I can't seem to find anything on how to train DSPAM...

I know how to train spamassassin, but how can we feed the good folders(ham) and junk folders (spam) to dspam to enhance it's scanning ability... unless I'm mistaken, I was under the impression that DSPAM required training as well before becoming an effective tool...

Klug is offline Moderator

DSPAM is disabled by default since 4.5.0 (IIRC), because of performance issues.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

As far as training goes it is done every night when the cron jobs run to train DSPAM (look for the zmtrainsa jobs in cron). The training is only a performance issue for larger sites, it's perfectly OK for a home server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Tenshi is offline Junior Member

Ok,

Will double check if DSPAM's pluging for SA is disabled or not, and will let the cron job do its thing

How does one test rules though? Got an install on Ubuntu, but there doesn't seem to be a "spamassassin" to run with "--lint" ... am I missing something, or is the SA completly integrated in amavisd?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Well one way to test is to sign up for a bunch of junk mail

That's actually how I trained my server. I signed up for as much spam as I could. I trained it all so that my users wouldn't have to.
    -john

roteri is offline Member

Now that's dedication!...
    Now do mine

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Well one way to test is to sign up for a bunch of junk mail

That's actually how I trained my server. I signed up for as much spam as I could. I trained it all so that my users wouldn't have to.
    -john

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

It ended up working out really well. So well, that I'd recommend it.
    I get about 1 or 2 per week that slip by, with more that 700/week in spam.

jh

SpaceBass is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    It ended up working out really well. So well, that I'd recommend it.
    I get about 1 or 2 per week that slip by, with more that 700/week in spam.

jh
    To piggy-back on this thread:

Is there anything one needs to do to train the filters? When I get stuff that slips by, I drop it in my "junk" folder (using an IMAP client, not the web client). Will the server automatically scan the junk folders of users, or is it not effective if I'm not using the junk button on the web client?

The past 3 days have been out of control. I'm getting the same 5 spams every 15 mins...almost reminds me of a worm or something... I keep dropping them into the junk folder, but its not getting any better. The server is not tagging them with my spam heading either.

Thanks!
    -N

mmorse is offline Moderator

It is best/easiest to use the junk/not junk button in the zimbra web client.
    Near the bottom it mentions the mass junk assigning command.

How well the anti-spam filter works depends on recognizing what is considered spam or not considered spam. The SpamAssassin filter can learn what is spam and what is not spam from messages that users specifically mark as Junk from their web client toolbar or Not Junk from the web client Junk folder. A copy of these marked messages is sent to the appropriate spam training mailbox.The Zimbra spam training tool, zmtrainsa, is configured to automatically retrieve these messages and train the spam filter.

The zmtrainsa script is enabled through a cron job to feed mail that has been classified as spam or as non-spam to the SpamAssassin application, allowing SpamAssassin to ‘learn’ what signs are likely to mean spam or ham. The zmtrainsa script empties these mailboxes each day.

By default all users can give feedback in this way. If you do not want users to train the spam filter, you can modify the global configuration attributes, zimbraSpamIsSpamAccount and zimbraSpamIsNotSpamAccount, and remove the spam/ham account addresses from the attributes. To remove, type as:
    zmprov mcf ‘’
    Restart the Zimbra services, type zmcontrol stop and then zmcontrol start.
    When these attributes are modified, messages marked as junk or not junk are not copied to the spam training mailboxes.

Initially, you may want to train the spam filter manually to quickly build a database of spam and non-spam tokens, words, or short character sequences that are commonly found in spam or ham. To do this, you can manually forward messages as message/rfc822 attachments to the spam and non-spam mailboxes. When zmtrainsa runs, these messages are used to teach the spam filter. Make sure you add a large enough sampling of messages to these mailboxes. In order to get accurate scores to determine whether to mark messages as spam at least 200 known spams and 200 known hams must be identified.

The zmtrainsa command can be run manually to forward any folder from any mailbox to the spam training mailboxes. To send a folder to the spam training mailbox, type the command as:
    zmtrainsa server user pass spam [foldername]
    To send the to the non-spam training mailbox, type:
    zmtrainsa server user pass ham [foldername]
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-22-2007 at 02:50 PM.

SpaceBass is offline Active Member

mmorse - that was very quick, thanks!
    I'd seen that in the WiKi but noticed that when I moved things into the junk older, the button become "not junk"...so I wasn't sure if moving them manually had the same effect as pushing the button.

I'm going to make another Temp Junk folder for use on the desktop then I'll go into the webclient once every few days and mark em all.

Thanks!
    -N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information