Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ubuntu install

phantom32i is offline Intermediate Member

Default bind9

1)If i am not using any routers.. would I need bind9?

2) Even if I have bind9 installed.. would I still be able to configure it correctly without a router?

3) Regarding zones....."the zone file for resolving DNS for your own domain is referenced in /etc/bind/named.conf.local. Unless you've changed this to point to /var/named/ubuntu69.com then all of the info is being pulled from the other file (/etc/bind/zones/email.ubuntu69.com.db)."

in my configuration i have the zones in my etc/bind/named.conf.local like this
    zone"memmo.com" {
    type master;
    file 'db.memmo.com";
    };

from using bind before.. the file db.memmo.com is located in var/bind/cache. is that OK??
    Will this still work with bind9? or do i have to follow the directions above and put it in /etc/bind/zones/db.memmo.com

thanks
    Last edited by phantom32i; 09-13-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Default please help with my previous questions

Hello i need help with my previous questions .. anyone

stealth is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by phantom32i View Post
    Bind 9 is just for DNS purposes. You may or may not install it in the Zimbra server and it does not have anything to do whether you have routers in your networks or not.

2) Even if I have bind9 installed.. would I still be able to configure it correctly without a router?
    I am not sure I understand why you think you need a router. You can Google how to set up DNS in Ubuntu. It is quite simple or just use another DNS server in your network to setup the A an MX records needed for Zimbra and point to it in /etc/resolv.conf

3) Regarding zones....."the zone file for resolving DNS for your own domain is referenced in /etc/bind/named.conf.local. Unless you've changed this to point to /var/named/ubuntu69.com then all of the info is being pulled from the other file (/etc/bind/zones/email.ubuntu69.com.db)."

zone"memmo.com" {
    type master;
    file 'db.memmo.com";
    };

from using bind before.. the file db.memmo.com is located in var/bind/cache. is that OK??
    Will this still work with bind9? or do i have to follow the directions above and put it in /etc/bind/zones/db.memmo.com

thanks
    You can Google this... I hope this helps.
    Last edited by stealth; 09-13-2007 at 09:02 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hello i need help with my previous questions .. anyone
    Have a read of Split DNS in the wiki. If you are not using a public IP on your Zimbra server then you probably need a split dns.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

zone"memmo.com" {
    type master;
    file 'db.memmo.com";
    };

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
    Bind 9 is just for DNS purposes. You may or may not install it in the Zimbra server and it does not have anything to do whether you have routers in your networks or not.

I am not sure I understand why you think you need a router. You can Google how to set up DNS in Ubuntu. It is quite simple or just use another DNS server in your network to setup the A an MX records needed for Zimbra and point to it in /etc/resolv.conf

You can Google this... I hope this helps.
    I mean of course you need routers in your network to route packets but what I meant is that bind 9 can be installed on the Zimbra server or you can just point to any DNS server that contains the required A and MX records for the Zimbra installed as explain in my previous response...

Phoenix just pointed you to a link on how to setup Bind 9 on RHEL. I would also Google on how to do it in Ubuntu... (it should be the same but I am not 100% sure... )

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There's also a guide in the forums and/or wiki for Ubuntu.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default split dns

My server is not sitting behind the router. I have a fixed ip and i used pppoe.
    does that mean i do not have to configure split dns.

My server is not sitting behind the router. I have a fixed ip and i used pppoe.
    does that mean i do not have to configure split dns.
    Split DNS will allow you hide some of your internal names (FQDNs) from the Internet. If this is your preference do it otherwise I would just add the A and MX records to your public DNS provider (i.e. easydns). You can directly point to this DNS server however Administrators often use their internal DNS servers and forward request to the public ones when needed.

That way, when people send you mail they will query your public DNS entries and will find your server (MX record) that accepts mail for your domain. If you do the latter make sure you have a PTR record (reverse DNS entry) so the people you are sending mail to will not block your email . Some Anti-Spam solutions will penalize you if you do not have a PTR...

Default Not behind router

What if I have bind installed first and now i install bind9
    where do i configure the .db file in etc/bind/named.conf.local or is it up to me to decide?
    Last edited by phantom32i; 09-13-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information