Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Old LDAP

agnOstos is offline Loyal Member

Good news! downloading of updates seems to have stalled.

rsharpe is offline Elite Member & Volunteer

Default Brand New FC4

I'm at this menu and it is telling me that it can connect to my LDAP server.
    I have two separate server my MTA and my Mailstore/LDAP. My Mailstore is running just fine, but when I try to install I get to the menu and it says LDAP server and LDAP password unset, so I set them and it tells me it has failed. I can telnet to 389 on the LDAP server. I also did a tcpdump on the "to be" MTA and it wasn't even trying to send any packets at all, it ever even attempted it. And on another oddity if I change the LDAP hostname to the local hostname, it doesn't argue or anything. I have done a netstat there are no LDAP servers running, it is a minimal install, and I have also done a yum update, and reboot.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default ldap logic

If you're installing, and you've set ldap to the localhost, and it's not running, I don't try to connect to it.

If you've set it to a remote host, I do try to connect to it, since I can't very well start it from the installer.

So - if you've set it to a remote server, done a tcpdump, and verified that there are no packets sent to it, then it's probably a DNS resolution issue. What do you get from:
    host ?

rsharpe is offline Elite Member & Volunteer

Well.... I thought it might be DNS to, but in the tcpdump there wasn't even a DNS packet for resolution. I also put an entry into the host table. I could also telnet to port 389 using the hostname. I have also tried to put the IP address into the Main Menu, it still failed. Now I'm not sure if this would affect anything, it really shouldn't but, I'm trialing this on VMware ESX server, and I'm 99% sure that this shouldn't be a problem.

Tomorrow I will verify that this isn't a DNS problem.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default /etc/hosts and DNS are orthogonal

Just because it's in /etc/hosts, doesn't mean that you'll get to it if a server is using a DNS lookup.

If you put the IP addr into the menu, it should succeed - you can get to port 389 via IP, I assume?

Of course, it may not be connection - it could be auth that's failing - did you set the LDAP password on the MTA to be? It has to match the ldap password on the ldap server.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information