Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Zimbra on Ubuntu OpenVZ CT behind Reverse Proxy, NAT and with Dynamic IP

  1. #1
    Kamzata is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Venezia - Italy
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Question Zimbra on Ubuntu OpenVZ CT behind Reverse Proxy, NAT and with Dynamic IP

    I'm trying to install and make Zimbra works on Ubuntu OpenVZ Container, behind a Reverse Proxy, NAT and with Dynamic IP available.

    I'm started installation script without problem but when I reach menu configuration and I insert domain name I recieve DNS Error (DNS ERROR - none of the MX records for mail.mysite.com
    resolve to this host).

    I'm using Dyndns service and I put a CNAME entry for mail.mysite.com to myserver.dyndns.org and a MX entry for mail.mysite.com.

    I opened NAT on 7071 port to IP of my Zimbra machine.

    I've add an entry on my Reverse Proxy machine for mail.mysite.com pointing Zimbra machine private IP address.

    What's wrong?

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,501
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    You should use a fixed IP address (you may have problems with a dynamic one), you should read the Split DNS article (or some of the many forum threads on the topic) and you should never use a CNAME to point to a mail server (you may lose email) it should always be DNS MX & A records.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    Kamzata is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Venezia - Italy
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should use a fixed IP address (you may have problems with a dynamic one), you should read the Split DNS article (or some of the many forum threads on the topic) and you should never use a CNAME to point to a mail server (you may lose email) it should always be DNS MX & A records.
    My ISP dosn't provide me a fixed IP address. So, you're telling me that if I build my email server and I use a dynamic IP I lose some mail? Is it right? Is there a solution?

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,501
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamzata View Post
    My ISP dosn't provide me a fixed IP address.
    Then you need to relay your outbound mail through another server.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamzata View Post
    So, you're telling me that if I build my email server and I use a dynamic IP I lose some mail? Is it right?
    No, that wasn't what I said. If you read my previous post I said the following:

    .... and you should never use a CNAME to point to a mail server (you may lose email) it should always be DNS MX & A records.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamzata View Post
    Is there a solution?
    Yes, follow the instructions I gave you in the above post and quote and you also need to read (and follow) the instructions in the Split DNS wiki article.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    Kamzata is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Venezia - Italy
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Then you need to relay your outbound mail through another server.

    No, that wasn't what I said. If you read my previous post I said the following:



    Yes, follow the instructions I gave you in the above post and quote and you also need to read (and follow) the instructions in the Split DNS wiki article.
    Thank you so much for your answers.

    I'm trying to use dns.he.net service (insted DDNS) and now changing nameserver to dns.he.net nameserver of my domain (mysite.com) I'm able to use record A.

    What other server for outbond mail can I use? I read about Split DNS article but onestly I'm not really understand why do this and how to set on my Ubuntu 12.04 and if my Reverse Proxy can create some problems.

  6. #6
    Kamzata is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Venezia - Italy
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Ok. I installed Zimbra and I can see that mail server is up and running and I can access to the administrator consolle but... How can I access to the user web client? I tried to type http://mail.mysite.com and https://mail.mysite.com without result. I'm behind a nginx reverse proxy. I tried to set nginx to "proxypass" on Zimbra IP machine (in the same way I did for webserver machine) but nothing to do. Any suggest?

  7. #7
    Kamzata is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Venezia - Italy
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Ok. I setting my external nginx reverse proxy like this:

    Code:
    server {
            listen   80;
            server_name  mail.mysite.com;
    
            access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log;
    
    
            location / {
                    proxy_pass      http://192.168.10.53:7072;
                    include         /etc/nginx/proxy_params;
            }
    }
    So now type mail.site.com show me mailbox login page but I have one other problem:

    when I try to login into mailbox Ajax version page it stop load and show me "Loading..." so to continue I need to click to "Switch to standard version (HTML)" but if I connect using private ip address (http://192.168.10.53:7072) problem doesn't occur. Why? It seems like nginx timeout problem. I tried to increment timeout value (keepalive_timeout 120 in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf without result.
    Last edited by Kamzata; 06-04-2014 at 10:10 AM.

  8. #8
    Kamzata is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Venezia - Italy
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamzata View Post
    Ok. I setting my external nginx reverse proxy like this:

    Code:
    server {
            listen   80;
            server_name  mail.mysite.com;
    
            access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log;
    
    
            location / {
                    proxy_pass      http://192.168.10.53:7072;
                    include         /etc/nginx/proxy_params;
            }
    }
    So now type mail.site.com show me mailbox login page but I have one other problem:

    when I try to login into mailbox Ajax version page it stop load and show me "Loading..." so to continue I need to click to "Switch to standard version (HTML)" but if I connect using private ip address (http://192.168.10.53:7072) problem doesn't occur. Why? It seems like nginx timeout problem. I tried to increment timeout value (keepalive_timeout 120 in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf without result.
    I made a mistake. Webclient is on port 80.

    Code:
    server {
            listen   80;
            server_name  mail.mysite.com;
    
            access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log;
    
    
            location / {
                    proxy_pass      http://192.168.10.53;
                    include         /etc/nginx/proxy_params;
            }
    }
    So now all works like a charm.

    I've got other questions:

    - How can I use PUSH function with Zimbra for Android email app?
    Last edited by Kamzata; 06-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. DMZ reverse proxy to LAN zimbra
    By jimmyk in forum Administrators
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
  2. DMZ reverse proxy to LAN zimbra
    By jimmyk in forum Installation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
  3. Zimbra Webclient behind Apache Reverse Proxy
    By mircevski in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 02:21 AM
  4. Zimbra HTTP Reverse Proxy
    By Protack in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
  5. reverse proxy zimbra
    By ojehle in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •