Thread: Restarting and german 'umlaut' problems

Oswald-Kolle is offline Loyal Member

Default Restarting and german 'umlaut' problems

Hi again...

Now I have my new server - a P4 2400 with 1GB Ram...
    But still I have problems with starting Zimbra! :-(

Fresh debian and fresh 4.5.1 Zimbra
    After six/seven days the problems began... The interface shows that mysql is not running (although I was able to connect to it!) - so I decided to upgrade to 4.5.2 - this upgrade fails starting mysql.. Well.. Okay - it was a nearly fresh install, so I decided to reinstall it completly....

Now I have a new installed debian sarge and a fresh 4.5-2 Zimbra installed. Again some problems (which I would like to be fixed!)

1st) The automatic start after a mashine reboot works well - but when I stop Zimbra and then try to start it again the tomcat is not starting! The same problem exists after an upgrade (reinstallation the same version)

2nd) Now I have an umlaut problem!!!! (only for pain-text mails!) (Is this new in the 4.5.2 (maybe 4.5.1)???) Emails from gmx with an umlaut () in the header will be shown correctly (not for all mails from an other providers!) - but the umlaute in the mail-text are displayed as "" or "ä"! That is not nice - is it?!

I don't have this problem when I send an email myself with umlaute from zimbra to a forwarded gmx account - then everything is like it should be...

The debian locale is on de_DE.
    In the bash_profile is: export LANG=C
    -- when I try to change anything I had often the problem that the mails were only queued and NOT delivered until I rebooted a couple of times with different locale entries... :-(

I hope anyone can help...

Greets from Germany

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default amavisd bug

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald-Kolle View Post
    2nd) Now I have an umlaut problem!!!! (only for pain-text mails!) (Is this new in the 4.5.2 (maybe 4.5.1)???) Emails from gmx with an umlaut () in the header will be shown correctly (not for all mails from an other providers!) - but the umlaute in the mail-text are displayed as "" or "ä"! That is not nice - is it?!
    This is a bug in the amavisd shipped with 4.5.2. We're tracking it with our own bug 14984. Please disable amavisd NOW, then apply the following patch to /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Net/Cmd.pm:
    Code:
    --- Net/Cmd.pm~ Fri Oct 27 13:08:07 2006
    +++ Net/Cmd.pm Thu Feb 8 17:32:52 2007
    @@ -22,6 +22,4 @@
    }

-my $doUTF8 = eval { require utf8 };
    -
    $VERSION = "2.27";
    @ISA = qw(Exporter);
    @@ -395,6 +393,4 @@
    my $arr = @_ == 1 && ref($_[0]) ? $_[0] : \@_;
    my $line = join("" ,@$arr);
    -
    - utf8::encode($line) if $doUTF8;

return 0 unless defined(fileno($cmd));
    If you can't get patch to work, just follow the instructions in this forum posting.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

auanton is offline Intermediate Member

Hi Oswald Kolle,

did you solve the problems with the Umlaute ?

i have serious problems with special characters ( 4.5.5 ) and are looking for someone who has solved the problems to have a reference starting point :-)

anton

Oswald-Kolle is offline Loyal Member

Hi Anton,

yes, I made it like it is described in the above mentioned way... I followed the link "this forum posting".

But I think that this problem should be solved in the current versions?!

Regards,
    Mario

P.s.: Sometimes I still get EMails with wrong characters, but I think that this problem still exists because the "other side" doesn't send the correct charset information

Thread Information