Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing ZCS 4.5.x on either openSUSE 10.2 or 10.3 a complete guide

Loek van Kooten is offline Junior Member

Default Solved

My problems are solved - not the way I originally planned though :-)

The reason why I wanted Zimbra was its ability to share agendas. The rest was merely an extra.

I've tried reinstalling following the instructions given above and on Aiman's site. Halfway I took a break and decided to give another method one more chance: publishing Outlook agendas on WebDAV (hosted by XAMP on Windows 2000), which I never got to work.

Luck must have been on my side today, as I did manage to get it working within 5 minutes.

Now Zimbra might be able to do the same thing even better, but I'm satisfied with the current solution. It's all I need really.

I'm just mentioning this so that people won't spend too much time on my problems. You've all been very helpful. If you really want to get to the bottom of this anyway, I suggest you try installing Zimbra on VMWare + openSUSE 10.2 to see if that works.

Thank you for all your help.

bigmudcake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loek van Kooten View Post
    Dear Bigmudcake,

Please see my first posting. I quote:

I'm not sure how I can be more specific than that.

openSUSE is as clean as clean can be (fresh install). No other software was installed. No areas were tinkered with.

Now, what might be an issue is that I'm running openSUSE with KDE on VMWare in Windows XP. Unfortunately I have no clean Linux machine at my disposal.
    Ok, well specifics are, RAM, Processor and logfile. Plus at least you now told me that its running with KDE in a VM on Windows XP which is helpful.

Just supplying a "ERROR" and the instructions dont work as a post on the forum is no use to anybody here.

I don't think installing within a VM would be an issue. Maybe the amount of RAM allocated to the VM could be.

Also, uninstall any packages you dont need. No only does this make your server more efficient, it also lessens conflicts.

If you could supply a copy of your zmsetup.log that will supply heaps of info, and maybe even couple of meaningful error messages.

Also its really important that you do not install packages that are already part of Zimbra as that with cause conflicts. i.e. apache, amavis, spamassassin etc. You will need to have postfix,fetchmail installed. Just make sure you turn off the postfix ports as described in the install guide at the start of this thread.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers
    bigmudcake

Quote Originally Posted by jptech View Post
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmshutil: line 49: Error: command not found
    Error: executing: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -q -m export

I get this error on installation and when running the majority of scripts involved.
    See thread has anyone actually successfully gotten this thing to work?
    for more info about this issue

cracker is offline Starter Member

Default /opt ? why its own partition? how big of a partition?

Quote Originally Posted by AimanA View Post
    Mine worked great (Zimbra OSS on openSuSE 10.2).

You need to make sure you do a couple of things to 'prep' the installation so it will run zimbra. First, be sure you have the latest release of ZCS, and be sure to update your system BEFORE installing ZCS.

I installed "Minimal Text Mode Only" with no extra packages except for fetchmail, cURL, libidn, GMP, compat-libstdc++. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT install a full graphical system. Runlevel 5 smokes resources, and ZCS can use all it can take. Be sure to split /opt off into its own partition (or seperate RAID array). Then follow the guide on installing ZCS on opensuse.

I'm kind of new to linux install/admin.
    what does having /opt in its own partition do?
    how big should I make that partition?
    also, is this a good thing to do for any linux/zimbra install (such as SUSE ES9)?

thanks.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

Default Installed, up and running, but....

when trying to send mail to the ZCS server, it comes back with a "loop back to myself" error.

Any ideas?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
    when trying to send mail to the ZCS server, it comes back with a "loop back to myself" error.

Any ideas?
    You already have this question posted elsewhere, please don't post duplicates as it makes it difficult to follow-up on your problems.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Sorry

I thought I may have posted it to the wrong thread the first time.

Default Installation cancelled on SuSE 10.2

After installing and uninstalling several times I received that message with the Store failing to install. I had to completely reinstall SuSE to get the install to finish once more.

Plus, if you are running with only 256MB of RAM, you are wasting your time. With only a few mail boxes active, ZCS will eat up 600MB+ of RAM and never look back. I'm running 1.5GB's and am worried that when I put ZCS in production with 100 mailboxes that 1.5GB won't be enough.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vavai View Post
    OpenSUSE 10.2 maybe unsupported distro but I realize that this kind distro work perfectly with Zimbra.

I used 1 GB of RAM, OpenSUSE 10.2 in standard console default and everything work great.
    Well, that's good for you but not everyone has that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by vavai View Post
    Maybe it's not about unsupported distro but I guess there is another reason why Zimbra doesn't work.
    You post this throw-away line as though openSuSE 10 & openSuSE 10.2 are exactly the same distribution, they are not. There were changes between those two releases of openSuSE - but I'm sure you're already aware of that. Zimbra was built on, and for, openSuSE 10. My point in making that comment about 'unsupported' was to draw that fact to the attention of the person that I quoted, believe it or not but not every person installing Zimbra knows they've installed it on an unsupported o/s.

By all means feel free to run Zimbra on any version of Linux you choose, it is Open Source after all, and if you're successful then please share your knowledge with the rest of the community.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thumbs up

Just to let everyone know,

I have successfully installed Zimbra 4.5.8 opensource edition
    onto the release version of openSUSE 10.3 and have updated
    the instructions at the start of this thread accordingly.

Could the moderator change the title of this thread to
    "Installing Zimbra 4.5.7 or later on either openSUSE 10.2 or 10.3 a complete guide"
    to reflect the changes

cheers
    bigmudcake
    Last edited by bigmudcake; 10-16-2007 at 04:25 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information