Thread: Upgrade wipes all data??

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Default Upgrade wipes all data??

Hi

because M1 decides to take over the entire box like an alien facehugger, I opted to use the zimbra mysql install and added my own databases, rather than try and fit zimbra onto the system mysql. before uninstalling and installing M2, i backed up /var/lib/mysql and restarted. however, i now find that for some reason this is very old data, has the zimbra mysql always been in /opt/zimbra/db/data? is this completely wiped on an uninstall? have i just lost all my data? grrr.

does the upgrade procedure work under any circumstances? i got the same errors as reported here by several other people, but I have a standard M1 install on RHEL4. how else is the upgrade supposed to work? was this ever tested before release?

i was considering buying network edition for several companies but I have serious doubts about the suitability of this software for production use. any idea when it will be classed as 'production ready'?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Zimbra is still in beta it is NOT for production use. Many folks are running it in production from reading on the forums and mail we've recieved but it's still beta. There are still lots of bugs. There are ways to make upgrades work... In fact we've been running on Zimbra internally for quite sometime now as our production mail. We upgrade our system to the latest bits several times a week. In small changes we never get out of sync and the schema is never more that one rev off current. In the case of the milestones being several weeks apart the data would need to be migrated. We didn't provide scripts to do this.

Our plan is to ship test upgrade scripts from M2 forward. This includes migrating from the Open Source Edition of M2 to the Network Edition of M3 (if we call it that) and from OSS M2 -> OSS M3.

So in short the upgrade does work under certian circumstances. M1 -> M2 is not one of them. We didn't plan on needing upgrades from M1 and didn't test it or builds it. We can assure you that the upgrades will work. They must work and our QA team will test the upgrade prior to release. So if you get M2 installed there will be supportable upgrade paths going forward.

Hmm. Grumble. So an uninstall actually deletes all the existing data in sql and ldap and mail? Grr, i'm too used to the stability of betas from mysql and cyrus, guess i've learnt a lesson to really back stuff up and double check next time!

Still, as zimbra seems to be aware that people are using it in production, the ability to upgrade would have been nice, or at least clear indications this is not possible and all data will be lost - as mostly everyone here using the M1 beta now know they cannot upgrade i'm sure i'm not the only one grumbling.

Glad to see you're supporting upgrade paths in the future. Is there any cvs-type code access to the opensource version or do we have to wait for tarballs? This is an exciting project in the opensource world, i'm very tempted to move away from my beloved cyrus! Thanks for all the hard work so far.

If you run "install.sh -u" then yes it will remove the data. If you just run the new install.sh then it will leave the data and update the packages. Of course as you've seen there are schema mismatches so the code refuses to start.

Yes we should have put up a warning that upgrades didn't work. This will be better next time. Lots of things changed in the past few weeks (as you'd expect) we removed the use of iptables since both internally and externally folks didn't like that. So certian things made an upgrade slightly harder.

That said if you've only got a couple accounts and not too much mail you can use an IMAP client like Thunderbird and copy the mail to a local folder. Do a reinstall and then copy the mail back. I know more than one person who has done this successfully. Another option if you've got more hardware is to install a fresh server and use imapsync to copy the mail over.

We've got a read-only CVS that is almost ready. We plan to post that here on the fourms shortly. It'll give you guys first access and let us know if there are any problems before we post it to a wider audiance(ie website and blog). Once that gets up we'll work on pushing nightly builds for those who want to live on the edge.

Oh and we are also working on a couple more ports. So expect to see those show up within the next week or two.

Coilcore is offline Senior Member

Default Its a beta!

I would prefer that people let Zimbra work on making the product better, NOT having to figure out complex migrations for people who put a beta product into some contorted production environment in spite of the obvious problems of putting a beta in as their production environment.

complex migrations? from the first version to the only other released version? contorted production environment? what, like precisely the clean environment dictated to me by zimbra with precisely the correct OS (which I paid my host to install)?

lots of opensource people run beta code in semi-production environments, its the only way this code gets developed and tested - e.g. cyrus, horde/imp, openldap etc. its not just the people at Zimbra who are at work to make this product better - i presume the whole point of opensource is so that people like me and you contribute and improve it (which I fully intend to do once we get better source access).

thanks to zimbra for removing the iptables jiggery pokery, much better without!! a litlte tip, hope this helps, i've restricted the webserver to a single ip on my multihomed box by adding the address directive to the three connectors in /opt/zimbra/tomcat/conf/server.xml,like this:
    this allows me to run a 'normal' apache alongside without conflicting.

look forward to the cvs, and the ports! i was about to launch into a debian and solaris port but will wait until your ports are posted.

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2
    complex migrations? from the first version to the only other released version? contorted production environment? what, like precisely the clean environment dictated to me by zimbra with precisely the correct OS (which I paid my host to install).
    We've actually one other public released version and many private ones. For the record.

BTW: To your original comment about the data location. This is documented in our admin guide.

http://www.zimbra.com/downloads/zimb...e.html#1036228

Default M1 -> M2 Upgrade

UPDATE: We are going to look at creating an upgrade from M1. Our plan will be to release a script for this sometime next week. We've heard the folks here on the fourm and hope that this will help.

hmm, darn it I must have moved the data from /var/lib/mysql to /opt/zimbra/db/data myself and forgotten. my own stupid fault for backing up the wrong data then. grrr.

thankyou for looking at an upgrade procedure - its very encouraging to see zimbra thinking of doing this sort of thing for the non-paying community. its a bit late for me, but i'm sure a lot of the other folks here will appreciate it!!!

M2 seems much more impressive on the backend, lots of tidy ups and in particular the startup/shutdown is much much faster and more reliable. i like the new admin interface too. keep up the good work guys.

Thread Information