Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessing Zimbra From a Non-Standard Port

savkar is offline Intermediate Member

U misunderstood. I wanted apache/tomcat to listen both to ports 80 and 81. 80 when I am accessing zimbra at home. 81 when I am accessing externally since 80 is already occupied.

I cannot translate with my router both port and IP address, just IP address. It is really annoying and I might just go ahead and replace my netgear router with a real machine I use port forwarding on. But for now, if something comes into my network on port 80, I can forward to the web server.

If something comes on 81, I can forward to zimbra. But I can't change the port # from 81 to 80 on the fly. Thus i need zimbra on the forward to be able to respond to http requests on 81.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-...nfig/http.html seems to indicate that you can only listen on one port - but it's possible that setting up a second connector in the Catalina service may do the trick:

Modify tomcat/conf/server.xml.in and duplicate the first connector, setting the port value to 81 in the second instance. Then restart tomcat. You'll probably have to add 81 to the allowed ports in the web.xml.in files in tomcat/conf, too.

I guess I could also just bite the bullet, stick to port 81, and just bounce any requests mapped to a specific location to port 81 so I basically get the same effect as if I didn't have to explicitly type in a port on my URL...

Which brings me to a related question. If I wanted to combine my web server functionality on the same zimbra machine I am using, could I basically just keep to port 81 for apache/tomcat for Zimbra, and simply install apache for my web pages operating on port 80?

Sounds like this would work though I hate to think about the overhead waste in running basically two instances or more of apache2 when I would have loved to use the apache processes listening on port 81.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

zimbra doesn't have any apache processes listening on port 81. tomcat != apache. We've got an instance for the spellchecker, default port 7780.

Got it. Ok, so I can start apache running on 80 then without problems it sounds like.

Out of curiousity, what about mysql. I do believe you have a mysql process running. WOuld i be able to run my own processes on the traditional port that is listened to or will this conflict?

If it conflicts, is there a way to use the mysql setup from Zimbra for setting up my own other databases, etc.?

bobby is offline Zimbra Employee

you probably don't want to use zimbra mysql for other stuff, but it runs on non standard port anyway, so you can run the standard mysql also.

for the port 80 issue, you could probably run your standard apache on port 80, doing nothing but redirecting to zimbra on port 81.

how much ram do you have

That sounds perfect (both). THanks!

burridge is offline New Member

Default Allowing multiple ports

Since there was some uncertainty wrt setting multiple ports, I decided to try marcmac's suggestion, which worked for me:

1. Duplicate the Connector entry in server.xml.in, renaming port 7071 to 443.
    2. Modified the allowed.ports entry in service.web.xml.in to include 443 (comma delimited).
    3. Restarted Tomcat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information