Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation of 8.0.6 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - 2 error messages

guitardood is offline Junior Member

Default Installation of 8.0.6 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - 2 error messages

Hello all,
    I've just installed version 8.0.6. At the end if the installation I received the following to warnings:
    WARNING: Document and Zimlet initialization skipped because Application Server was not configured to start.
    WARNING: galsync account creation for default domain skipped because Application Server was not configured to start.

As a consequence, I have no zimlets installed nor can I configure the galsync. Can anybody offer a solution to either manually correct this on my installation or possibly offer a reason why this happened? I did not specifically tell the install to not install the application server.

Appreciate any and all help.

Best,
    guitardood

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

How much RAM is on this server? Is it a VM and if so, how much real RAM is allocated?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

It is a VM on ESXi 5.1. It has 8gb ram and 6 cores (2 sockets w/3 cores per socket).

Quote Originally Posted by guitardood View Post
    It is a VM on ESXi 5.1. It has 8gb ram and 6 cores (2 sockets w/3 cores per socket).
    You have too many cores allocated to that server, it's not necessary. Were there any other error messages in the install log file? What is the status of the zimbra services? Take a look at the output of:

Code:
    zmcontrol status
    If any of them are stopped then look in the log files for the errors.
    Regards

Bill

Bill,
    Thanks so much for your help and quick responses.

Those are the only errors I've seen. The host system, btw, is a dual-8-core system with 32g RAM. If I drop the cores down to 2socket/2cores-per, I'm guessing, I will have to completely reinstall ZCS. Does this make sense?

Do you know if this is a Zimbra issue or is this Ubuntu related? I was actually reading the STICKY about installing in a VM and kind of understand the whole NUMA node concept they're talking about, but mistakenly assumed this was taken care of within ESX.

Best,
    guitardood

Those are the only errors I've seen. The host system, btw, is a dual-8-core system with 32g RAM. If I drop the cores down to 2socket/2cores-per, I'm guessing, I will have to completely reinstall ZCS. Does this make sense?
    No, you shouldn't need to do a reinstall of either Ubuntu or Zimbra. I would, however, think that two cores would be enough for this server and any more than that might cause performance

Do you know if this is a Zimbra issue or is this Ubuntu related?
    This isn't a normal problem installing ZCS on Ubuntu but I must confess to not liking Ubuntu as a platform, I prefer CentOS.

I was actually reading the STICKY about installing in a VM and kind of understand the whole NUMA node concept they're talking about, but mistakenly assumed this was taken care of within ESX.
    Which sticky was that? There should be no problems installing if you have the ZCS requirements and a minimal Ubuntu LTS and correct DNS A & MX records plus a correct /etc/hosts file, I run all my server on ESXi but they're all CentOS although I have installed ZCS on a Ubuntu server in the past without problems. One more question, have you disabled AppArmor (or SElinux)?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No, you shouldn't need to do a reinstall of either Ubuntu or Zimbra. I would, however, think that two cores would be enough for this server and any more than that might cause performance
    This server is going to handle 42 very active email accounts. Under Citadel, the system was kind of bogged down with 4 cores, hence my attempt at using 6.

This isn't a normal problem installing ZCS on Ubuntu but I must confess to not liking Ubuntu as a platform, I prefer CentOS.
    Haven't tried CentOS, is it based on Debian or Redhat (deb or rpm packages)?

Which sticky was that? There should be no problems installing if you have the ZCS requirements and a minimal Ubuntu LTS and correct DNS A & MX records plus a correct /etc/hosts file, I run all my server on ESXi but they're all CentOS although I have installed ZCS on a Ubuntu server in the past without problems. One more question, have you disabled AppArmor (or SElinux)?
    I was reading both in this sticky: Recommendations for Virtualizing Zimbra with VMware vSphere 4 and in the wiki at:Performance Recommendations for Virtualizing Zimbra with VMware vSphere - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thanks again for your help,

Best,
    guitardood

This server is going to handle 42 very active email accounts. Under Citadel, the system was kind of bogged down with 4 cores, hence my attempt at using 6.
    Are you saying that Citadel is on the same server as ZCS? I'd still be tempted to start with two cores and assuming your HD subsystem is up to the job then forty-two accounts shouldn't be a problem.

Haven't tried CentOS, is it based on Debian or Redhat (deb or rpm packages)?
    It's a binary compatible rebuild of the equivalent release of RHEL and therefore an RPM package management
    Regards

Bill

Are you saying that Citadel is on the same server as ZCS? I'd still be tempted to start with two cores and assuming your HD subsystem is up to the job then forty-two accounts shouldn't be a problem.
    Citadel was on it's own VM on the same physical server. Just in the process of migrating away from Citadel to Zimbra.

I just went ahead reinstalled Zimbra and reimported my user accounts. Seems to be running great at this point. Thanks so much for your help, very appreciated.

Best,
    guitardood

Bill,
    One more thing. Your question regarding apparmor; It is uninstalled. That subsystem seems to cause a lot more problems than it fixes, IMHO. I'm sure it has a place, but not on a closed and tightly monitored system such as those I administer.

Thanks again.

Best,
    guitardood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information