Thread: Help ! – Unable to Create Java Virtual Machine Error During Installation

happyhippy is offline New Member

Default Help ! – Unable to Create Java Virtual Machine Error During Installation

I have had a couple of problems with installing Zimbra Open Source on a virtual private server. I have split this plea for help into 2 parts ('minor' and 'major')

My Specifications:
    1 1 GB RAM
    50 GB hard disk
    3 GHZ Processor
    Ubuntu 12.04 Server Minimal

The Minor Problem

After
    sudo apt-get install update
    sudo apt-get install netcat libidn11 libpcre3 libgmp3c2 libexpat1 libstdc++6 libperl5.14 sysstat sqlite3
    wget http://files2.zimbra.com/downloads/8...1210115059.tgz
    tar -zxvf zcs-8.0.2_GA_5569.UBUNTU12_64.20121210115059.tgz
    cd zcs-8.0.2_GA_5569.UBUNTU12_64.20121210115059
    ./install.sh

The installation sequence stated that netcat-bsd was missing …OK I went back and installed it.

A bigger problem, however, happend during the install sequence. There was a message that there was a ‘conflict’ between sendmail.bin and Zimbra – MTA. I removed sendmail with sudo apt-get remove sendmail.bin so that Zimbra MTA could be installed and the installation sequence went forward.

My first question is ….IS THIS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM FOR ZIMBRA THAT I REMOVED THE SENDMAIL MODULE? IN OTHER WORDS WILL IT FUNCTION NORMALLY WITHOUT IT? (IF NOT WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?)

The ‘Bigger Problem

At the very very end of the install sequence I got this message...

Creating galsync account for default domain...Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
    Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmshutil: line 39: Error: command not found failed.

My second questions are….IS THIS A FATAL ERROR? IS THE SOLUTION TO INCREASE RAM (IF SO BY HOW MUCH)? WHAT IS THE SOLUTION TO THIS ERROR IF NOT RAM?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Do not post in capital letters, it's considered shouting and not acceptable on these forums.

You need a minimum of 4GB of RAM, you would have seen this if you searched the forums.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Do not post in capital letters, it's considered shouting and not acceptable on these forums.

You need a minimum of 4GB of RAM, you would have seen this if you searched the forums.

Apologies for the capital letters for some reason I had to log on with my password several times after resetting it according to thr message about he security breach...I pasted the message and and didn't format it.Apologies again.

I have a simple question with regard to the 4GB...The vps supplier offers an option with 4gb dynamic and 2 gb 'guaranteed' RAM. Would this 4 gb dynamic RAM option be sufficient for an install or would 4gb static RAM be required? In our case Zimbra will be used for a small 8 person consultancy so I don't anticipate a 4GB RAM usage on a daily basis. Do I understand that the 4 gb is needed for an install?...and not for an active work environment?

liverpoolfcfan is offline Outstanding Member

Also, if you are only installing - Do NOT install 8.0.2 - There are known security issues with that release. Also there are hundreds of bugs that have been fixed cumulatively by later releases.

You should always go with the latest version available for an initial install - that would be 8.0.6 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpoolfcfan View Post
    Also, if you are only installing - Do NOT install 8.0.2 - There are known security issues with that release. Also there are hundreds of bugs that have been fixed cumulatively by later releases.

You should always go with the latest version available for an initial install - that would be 8.0.6 right now.
    Of course I hope the capital letters around 'NOT' do not mean you are shouting I actually used the most recent version (8.0.6). Unfortunately, on the most recent version I found I had to install an additional element called pax

netcat-openbsd
    pax

with sudo apt-get install netcat-openbsd pax

whereas the version previous (8.0.2) only needed netcat-openbsd not pax. I was going through a process of elimination. In fact, I even tried the Zimbra version 7 XX as well (and found that there were no sendmail conflicts or pax needed but it still stopped at the 'create Java Virtual Machine' stage).

I would recommend that Zimbra produce a clearer guide and

1 Explictly list all the modules for download.
    2 System requirements - In the literature a 1 GB RAM was all that was mentioned and not 4 GB. How was I supposed to know if this was not in your literature? You have just wasted my time.
    3 Fix the forum (currently I have had to enter my password and login several times from 3 different browsers to reply to your post- this might restrict the no. of posts about problems and make somebody in the company appear better to their superiors but also restricts constructive feedback from people like me in the spirit of 'open source')

A user can only work based on instructions received from the vendor/ supplier so clear instructions are in order.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post
    2 System requirements - In the literature a 1 GB RAM was all that was mentioned and not 4 GB. How was I supposed to know if this was not in your literature? You have just wasted my time.
    System Requirements for the current 8.0.x version of ZCS state the following:

Require a minimum of 3GB of RAM, recommend a
    minimum of 4GB of RAM
    3 Fix the forum (currently I have had to enter my password and login several times from 3 different browsers to reply to your post- this might restrict the no. of posts about problems and make somebody in the company appear better to their superiors but also restricts constructive feedback from people like me in the spirit of 'open source')
    The forums (and various other software assets) are currently undergoing a move, some hiccups are unavoidable and are being worked on - they say patience is a virtue.

A user can only work based on instructions received from the vendor/ supplier so clear instructions are in order.
    That's true but these forums are not official Zimbra support they are Community Support forums and people that post here do so voluntarily and when they have the time.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information