Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fetchmail

psuter is offline Member

Default fetchmail

hi

i have just installed zimbra on FC3. i want my mailserver to recieve my mails from a pop3 server. so far i've ben using excheange with a third party software to recieve my pop3 emails and distribute them to my exchange users. (actually, that's just me, but as a student i get exchange for free, so why not try the advantage of having your onw server at home to keep your mail clients on all computers in sync)

anyways.. i have read in this forum, that under linux with zimbra i need to use fetchmail to achieve what i want.. but how do i do that?
    whenever i search for fetchmail configuration i mainly find isp sites explaining what i have to put in my user directory, but i want fetchmail to downlaod all mails from the pop3 server and then send them right to the mta of zimbra so that zimbra can distribute all mails to the correct users according to their alias email addresses (actually, how do i set an alias with a different domain?)
    i had it done like this on exchange and i want to do it like this on zimbra, because i also want to be able to send emails using my "official" email address on my non-local domain

maybe an example helps:
    say my zimbra domain is zimbra.local and my email address is psuter@gmx.net (that's not my real email address, just an example )
    now i want to set an alias in zimbra for psuter@gmx.net and i want to setup fetchmail to recieve my mails from pop.gmx.net and pass them on to zimbra so it can find the user having psuter@gmx.net as an alias and distribute the mails to him.

i hope i could more or less explain myself clearly and i hope even more, that there are some people on this board who wanted the same thing as me but where cleverer and made it work

i'd appreciate your help

kind regards
    pascal

KevinH is offline Expert Member

This has a good how-to on fetchmail config:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/net...fetchmail.html

You can create an alias with the Admin UI. At this time you can't send mail as an alias but only recieve.

psuter is offline Member

thanks for the link, it really is a nice tutorial ...

but now my main question is, which user do i need to forward my mails to, so that zimbra will distribute them to the right recipients? and which is "my" homdirectory where i'm supposed to store the .fetchmailrc file to?

cheers
    pascal

Quote Originally Posted by psuter
    but now my main question is, which user do i need to forward my mails to, so that zimbra will distribute them to the right recipients? and which is "my" homdirectory where i'm supposed to store the .fetchmailrc file to?
    You need to configure fetchmail so that *it* passes the right messages into ZImbra. If you are fetching mail from multiple POP servers going to multiple users in Zimbra then you'd need to setup one for each. A more common appraoch is that your combining multiple POP accounts all into Zimbra. So in this case one fectchmail config can gather all the POP mail and deliver it to one user in Zimbra. The home dir is the user who will run fetchmail. You could use the zimbra user but it would be better to create a special user for this purpose.

psuter is offline Member

ah great

i got it to work now

i have saved the .fetchmailrc file into the root's directory (if fetchmail where runing with a different user's account, you'd need to save it there.. soe the user who's home directory it should be saved to has to be the one who is runing fetchmail. root is actually not so secure, but this is just a test install, so security doesn't bother me too much at this moment.. )

the user's username to deliver the mails locally is the username in zimbra, not a unix user. so in the case of zimbra that'll be the zimbra email address of that user. obviousley, what i first wanted, that the mail is sent to zimbra and zimbra then decides which user it has to forward it to doesn't work. so i can't have one pop3 account which recieves mails to different users (through a catch-all rule) and then have fetchmail grab those mails from the pop3 an deliver it to zimbra where they should be spead to the different user's accounts. (or is that somehow possible?)

thanks for your help so far..
    pascal

Gysie2701 is offline Intermediate Member

Hi,

I managed to pop all messages from my webmail's server to a catchAll account called (pop@blah.co.za). How can I now distribute this accross to the different users. (i.e gysie@blah.co.za[/email]).

I did the forwarding from the pop@blah.co.za account, but it then forwards to everyone, and not just the specific user.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gysie2701; 07-10-2006 at 07:44 AM.
    Gerrie

Quote Originally Posted by Gysie2701
    Hi,

I managed to pop all messages from my webmail's server to a catchAll account called (pop@blah.co.za). How can I now distribute this accross to the different users. (i.e gysie@blah.co.za[/email]).

I did the forwarding from the pop@blah.co.za account, but it then forwards to everyone, and not just the specific user.

Thanks
    You'd need to write a script to parse the headers and the reload them into the accounts with SMTP or LMTP.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Gysie2701 is offline Intermediate Member

Default Got it to work.

Well I did it without writing a script...

My fetchmailrc looks like this:

poll mail.external.com port 110 protocol POP3 localdomains internal.com user mail@external.com password 'your_password' is *,

What the "localdomains" does, it tells fetchmail that it should consider the internal.com domain as a local domain.

So if you run fetchmail on the internal.com domain (probably on the zimbra machine), it will see internal.com as a localdomain.

I don't know if this is the perfect solution for multidrop mode, but I got it to work for me.

Comments will be appreciated for getting the best possible solution?
    Gerrie

brittocj is offline Active Member

Default multidrop with fetchmail on Zimbra server

Quote Originally Posted by Gysie2701 View Post
    Well I did it without writing a script...

My fetchmailrc looks like this:

poll mail.external.com port 110 protocol POP3 localdomains internal.com user mail@external.com password 'your_password' is *,

What the "localdomains" does, it tells fetchmail that it should consider the internal.com domain as a local domain.

So if you run fetchmail on the internal.com domain (probably on the zimbra machine), it will see internal.com as a localdomain.

I don't know if this is the perfect solution for multidrop mode, but I got it to work for me.

Comments will be appreciated for getting the best possible solution?
    i tried with your .fetmailrc modified for my configuration. It is giving an error as follows

fetchmail: warning: multidrop for mail.ccstechnologies.in requires envelope option!
    fetchmail: warning: Do not ask for support if all mail goes to postmaster!
    fetchmail: 6.3.9-rc2 querying mail.ccstechnologies.in (protocol POP3) at Wed 13 Jun 2012 06:38:13 PM IST: poll started
    Trying to connect to 202.71.131.224/110...connected.
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Net4India Imap ready.
    fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK
    fetchmail: POP3< CAPA
    fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
    fetchmail: POP3< USER
    fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN
    fetchmail: POP3< .
    fetchmail: mail.ccstechnologies.in: opportunistic upgrade to TLS failed, trying to continue.
    fetchmail: POP3> USER testuser1@ccstechnologies.in
    fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Logged in.
    fetchmail: POP3> STAT
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK 83 413813
    fetchmail: POP3> LAST
    fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unknown command: LAST
    fetchmail: Unknown command: LAST
    fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
    fetchmail: POP3< 1 0000003b4fd1d680
    fetchmail: POP3< 2 0000003c4fd1d680

then

fetchmail: POP3< .
    83 messages (9 seen) for testuser1@ccstechnologies.in at mail.ccstechnologies.in (413813 octets).
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:1 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:2 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:3 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:4 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:5 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:6 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:7 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:8 not flushed
    skipping message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:9 not flushed
    fetchmail: POP3> LIST 10
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK 10 11457
    fetchmail: POP3> RETR 10
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK 11457 octets
    reading message testuser1@ccstechnologies.in@mail.ccstechnologies. in:10 of 83 (11457 octets)
    Trying to connect to ::1/25...connection failed.
    fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [::1/25] failed: Connection refused.
    Trying to connect to 127.0.0.1/25...connected.
    fetchmail: SMTP< 220 zimbra.zimbra-ccs.com ESMTP Postfix
    fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO zimbra.zimbra-ccs.com
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-zimbra.zimbra-ccs.com
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE 10240000
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-VRFY
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ETRN
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-STARTTLS
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250-8BITMIME
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250 DSN
    fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM: SIZE=11457
    fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.1.0 Ok
    fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:
    fetchmail: SMTP< 504 5.5.2 : Recipient address rejected: need fully-qualified address
    fetchmail: SMTP error: 504 5.5.2 : Recipient address rejected: need fully-qualified address
    fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `sreekumarg@localhost'

What may be the problem??? Please help.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brittocj View Post
    fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:
    fetchmail: SMTP< 504 5.5.2 : Recipient address rejected: need fully-qualified address
    fetchmail: SMTP error: 504 5.5.2 : Recipient address rejected: need fully-qualified address
    fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `sreekumarg@localhost'

What may be the problem???
    It tells you in the highlighted text above.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information