Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FC3/4 Memory/SATA catch 22

michaeleq is offline Junior Member

Default FC3/4 Memory/SATA catch 22

I'm in a bit of a quandry with loading Zimbra onto a new Dell PowerEdge SC 430. I have been able to successfully load FC4 without any problems. I followed the instructions on loading with FC4 and ran into problems with out of memory errors running the install. I did the yum update, installed additional packages required, turned off sendmail, firewall, etc. Even went through uninstalling and reinstalling Zimbra to no avail. I noted in several posts that folks who continually had out of memory errors simply installed FC3 and those problems went away. So I tried loading FC3, and it doesn't have support for the ICH7 SATA drivers in my box, so not sure how to proceed at this point. Either I have to figure out how to install FC3 with the SATA drivers I need (no small task as I have searched for a solution in general to this problem), or I have to figure out how to get FC4 working on the box. Just FYI, it has 1Gig of RAM in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.
    Michael Quattlebaum
    q@interdirected.com

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Hi..
    All poweredge server (assuming you bought new from dell) comes with a CD its a server assistant CD kind of green color saying "start here Disk 1"
    This cd helps you install windows or linux on Powerege's. To identify this CD should show you models of various poweredges as it contains Drivers for all.

Put this cd and it will ask you few Q's and it will ask you what OS select Linux (Red had enterprise version drivers should be same for fedora).
    it will install all drivers for that OS and then prompt you to put Linux CD

This will remove issues for any drivers or HW conflict. Anyway first try FC3 which everyone knows works.

You can also download all drivers for all supported OS's form dell first have them in Floppy or cd and install while FC3 install..1st option using dell CD is best.

once you are up with good install with no issues i thin Zimbra will install to ..

* i have installed zimbra on with 0 errors..
    Dell PowerApp 100 - Plain FC3 Cd only
    Dell PE 2450 - Plain FC3 CD
    Dell PE 2550 - Plain FC3 CD
    Dell PE 1400SC - Plain FC3 CD
    Super old Dell optiplex GX 128 MB RAM and 2 GB HD - Plain FC3 CD

Raj
    i2k2systems.com

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Michael,

1GB should have been enough RAM. At what point of the install did it run out of memory? Do you have the install log? We'd like to help track down the problem if we can.

Raj, thanks. I will give this a try first thing in the morning with FC3 and will update the post to let you know how it goes.

Also, KevinH, I think I still have the log. I'll post it if I do. But right now my first priority is to get Zimbra up and running and tested. Once I do that, I'll give FC4 a shot again and let you know what I find. The installer was getting past the RPM installs, and had installed the database. It ran out of memory on 3 different processes the 3 different times that I installed.
    Michael Quattlebaum
    q@interdirected.com

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Hi..this link has some information about your HD driver if this helps

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#intel-ich7

Raj
    i2k2systems.com

Raj,

Apparently the Dell installer is smart enough to know I'm not actually installing RH4. It won't accept my FC3 or my FC4 CD when I'm trying to install. What's next?

Michael.
    Michael Quattlebaum
    q@interdirected.com

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

hi..the DELL CD Still has DRIVERS in proper folders...just find them and try to use them during FC3 install diretly.
    or try the link above if they point you to some good driver

Where exactly during the FC3 install you get failed error.

Raj

on the FC3 installation, when it starts loading drivers (in text mode), it says that it can't find a hard drive and asks if i want to install drivers. I say yes, and it takes me to a list...but there's no option to read from external media at this point that I can see. Even if I choose the Intel ata_piix driver from the list, it still does not recognize the hard drives (the gui actually launches, until I get ready to create partitions at which time it says it doesn't have a hard drive and won't install).
    Michael Quattlebaum
    q@interdirected.com

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

ok lets see..
    Read the following and it will give you pointers how to INSTALL custom driver using FLOPPY when promted for drivers during install..This presumes you know what drivers you need and you have them

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/mike_insch/sata/

hope this helps..anyone more expert in Linux install using custom/SATA drivers and like to help then please picth in your 2 Cents

* Dell PE support is generally very good in answering these Q if this is new server you bought then they can help you.

* other solution people using is PATA/SATA combination. Put some old PATA (regular) drive and make that as primary drive and keep sata as secondary..

Thanks
    Raj

OK...here's an update. After getting at least as frustrated over the driver issue for FC3, I went back to FC4. I now have it running, but I'm not really sure what I did differently. First, I did the initial installation and got the same memory errors. I rebooted and did the uninstall then reinstall. This time the installation went smoothly, and it's up and running. So I checked the install logs from the initial install, and it looks like there was an issue with mysql access. Additionally, there were many instances /bin/unicode_start running (I did a ps -elf during the memory problems to try to see what's going on). Anyway, the second time through the mysql problems seem to be no longer there. I'll be happy to send along the log files if you guys would like to look at them to try to figure out what happened. Now I'm just working on incoming mail problems, which I'm pretty sure are DNS related. Outbound mail working great now. Thanks for your help.
    Michael Quattlebaum
    q@interdirected.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information