Thread: Installation issues ubuntu 12.04

icyblack is offline New Member

Default Installation issues ubuntu 12.04

I'm ready to pull my hair out over the zimbra install, could someone please help me? I'm coming from the windows world, 22 years worth of IT. I've been dealing with linux for a few years now, but nothing in depth. I can't seem to get my head wrapped around the install of zimbra collaborative.

The install seems to fail on hostname - and it doesn't matter what I do, it fails. I've gone through a dozen different guides written by different people, to no avail.
    Can someone throw a sample /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts file my way? It's something so silly but it's driving me insane. j

Is there a best flavor of linux to use? I'm currently trying with ubuntu 12, but would Cent or Suse be better - x32 or x64? Throw me a bone here, i've formatted and reinstalled this server 6 times already.

I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Is there a detailed step by step I can follow? Webhosting with linux is simple compared to this.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by icyblack View Post
    Is there a best flavor of linux to use? I'm currently trying with ubuntu 12, but would Cent or Suse be better - x32 or x64?
    My preference is for CentOS as it's a binary compatible rebuild of RHEL. Install a minimal system and the ZCS requirements and you should be OK, it's relatively straightforward. One thing to look out for is that it's easy during the install to miss the NIC configuration & setting it to enabled on boot - heavens knows which bright spark came up with that idea. You need to install a 64 bit version as they're the only architecture supported from ZCS 8.x onwards. Follow the Split DNS wiki article for your DNS & hosts file configuration and you should have no problems.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Never used Centos before, always ubuntu... Centos is much easier on the DNS and networking side!

Thanks for the recommend. Just starting the zimbra install now that everything else works.

I have never in my life experienced a software with a base as painful as zimbra. I'm not an expert with linux by any means, but i'm pretty handy with it.

For those that write documentation - please verify everything. I don't know how many server reinstalls i've done in order to get this software up and running. Now that I have the concepts and my own step by step, it's repeatable every time.

Many articles i've read, step by steps that had config spelling mistakes and syntax errors, it must drive the newbies insane.
    Prerequisites needed, removal of postfix to avoid port conflicts... The list goes on and on.

Thanks again for the centos recommend phoenix, I like it better than ubuntu.

I have never in my life experienced a software with a base as painful as zimbra. I'm not an expert with linux by any means, but i'm pretty handy with it.

For those that write documentation - please verify everything. I don't know how many server reinstalls i've done in order to get this software up and running. Now that I have the concepts and my own step by step, it's repeatable every time.

Many articles i've read, step by steps that had config spelling mistakes and syntax errors, it must drive the newbies insane.
    Prerequisites needed, removal of postfix to avoid port conflicts... The list goes on and on.
    Don't forget that Zimbra is a technically complex product and it is aimed at the 'professional installation' not home users and the person installing should be an experienced linux Admin. In addition, if you're talking about the wiki, all articles in there (unless they're certified by Zimbra) are written by users. Even the articles written by Zimbra employees are contributed in their spare time. These are Community support forums as is the wiki and is no different than any other similar product on the internet. The main problem is that many users upload their specific information that works for them and never review or change it. Having said that, the Installation Guide and Release Notes should tell you everything you need to know for installation.

IThanks again for the centos recommend phoenix, I like it better than ubuntu.
    I'm glad you've got it working.
    Regards

Bill

Sorry if I sounded grumpy in my last. Been a long couple of weeks.

Really liking Zimbra, had a chance to dig into it today, very slick product.

Sorry if I sounded grumpy in my last. Been a long couple of weeks.
    That's OK, there's no need to apologise. I was just clarifying for anyone else that reads this thread what Zimbra forums and wiki are for.

Really liking Zimbra, had a chance to dig into it today, very slick product.
    It is a great product, enjoy.
    Regards

Bill

drdre is offline Elite Member

I initial had my zimbra installation at the office on Centos.. but i changed over the Ubuntu and never once looked back. Sure centos on the dns side is easier, but to me Ubuntu rules ... take your time setting up the split DNS that can be a bitch if you dont follow the guide step by step.

have fun..
    With Jah Jah
    Anything is Possible

FOSS 8.0.7

Thread Information