Thread: zimbra community ersion 4.5 installation fails on opensuse 10.2

BashLogic is offline Junior Member

Default zimbra community ersion 4.5 installation fails on opensuse 10.2

greetings,

ive attemted to install zimbra 4.5 on opensuse 10.2 without any success so far.
    the first bug i came across was that the zimbra required 0640 access rights to /etc/sudoers while opensuse 10.2 by default is 0400. after doing chmod 640 /etc/sudoers, zimbra began to startup.

i can see that ldap starts but dunno where or what to look for beyond that.
    any ideas as to know where to debug or trace logs?

oh btw, during installation i get: this platform is unknown, do you want to continue yes/no

regards
    BL
    Last edited by BashLogic; 01-18-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Default Bugs found along the way..

i found some bugs along the way,,

1- when asked to press anykey to continue, it only accepts the return key (during installation)
    2- the zimbra would fail to start/install if IPv6 is disabled on the system
    3- if you are using syslogng, zimbra does not recognize that and fails to integrate itself with syslog when it fails to find /etc/syslog.conf
    4- when i go to http://testbed.foo.bar:7071
    it downloads a .bin file instead of launching the console?? (my fault forgot to use https )

Quote Originally Posted by BashLogic View Post
    greetings,

the first bug i came across was that the zimbra required 0640 access rights to /etc/sudoers while opensuse 10.2 by default is 0400. after doing chmod 640 /etc/sudoers, zimbra began to startup.

i can see that ldap starts but dunno where or what to look for beyond that.
    any ideas as to know where to debug or trace logs?

oh btw, during installation i get: this platform is unknown, do you want to continue yes/no

regards
    BL
    Last edited by BashLogic; 01-18-2007 at 11:58 PM.

LMStone is offline Moderator

greetings,

Join the club!

Zimbra only works on OpenSUSE 10.0 and SLES9!

are u serious only 10.0??
    shit, any plans to evolve?

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Join the club!

Zimbra only works on OpenSUSE 10.0 and SLES9!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

He's talking about the Network Edition. The open source edition runs on many more platforms than that. However, the version you've downloaded is only supported on (and built for) openSuSE 10 and not 10.2. You may get it working, have a search through the forums. There will be a version for later releases of openSuSE but the Zimbra staff are busy getting major releases of the product built and shipped.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

LMStone is offline Moderator

There are major under-the-covers structural changes between SLES9/10.0, and 10.1, 10.2 and SLES10. The refreshing of the sudoers file is just one of them that impacts Zimbra.

SLES9 has at least 2 more years of support, OpenSUSE 10.0 has less. Zimbra have told me they expect to have a version for SLES10 within that timeframe.

Zimbra is essentially an appliance, so the OS on which you run it (as well as running the latest version of that OS) really isn't all that important IMHO. If you are going to run Zimbra open source and favor SuSE, then you will be rebuilding your server every two years or so anyway, since that's the lifespan of support for OpenSUSE.

If you can't afford that amount of disruption, or are using Zimbra for commercial purposes and are going to be using the Network Edition, the marginal cost of a SLES9 maintenance agreement is not that much, and SuSE supports in-place upgrades between SLES versions.

If you can let go of SuSE, use Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS and that OS will be supported until June 2011.

I fully expect when Zimbra releases binaries for SLES10 to be able to stop Zimbra, launch YaST, do a System Update to SLES10, reboot, stop Zimbra (probably not all of it started anyway), upgrade Zimbra and not have to take the box down again until SuSE forces me to do a kernel update. We reboot our SLES servers pretty much only after kernel updates as it is.

Again, if you think of Zimbra as an appliance, with us just supplying the hardware and the base OS, the need to have the latest version of any particular OS is much less important than if you were building a Horde box or a qmail toaster, etc.

HTH,
    Mark

brian is offline Project Contributor

We should see support for SLES10 and openSuSE 10.{latest} in a ZCS 4.5.x maintenance release.

Bugs 7941 and 10462 if you care to track.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Greetz

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    There are major under-the-covers structural changes between SLES9/10.0, and 10.1, 10.2 and SLES10. The refreshing of the sudoers file is just one of them that impacts Zimbra.

## jep, i noticed

SLES9 has at least 2 more years of support, OpenSUSE 10.0 has less. Zimbra have told me they expect to have a version for SLES10 within that timeframe.

## yep, opensuse is update every 6months or so which is very lame as they keep changing the unerlying architercutre. one of the reasons why i have had to use 10.2 is becuase i had lame support for my motherboard propriatary ports in the older suse releases and thus had problems with mdadm raid and grub. with 10.2 i no longer have to worry about that or letting the system autoupdate itself

Zimbra is essentially an appliance, so the OS on which you run it (as well as running the latest version of that OS) really isn't all that important IMHO. If you are going to run Zimbra open source and favor SuSE, then you will be rebuilding your server every two years or so anyway, since that's the lifespan of support for OpenSUSE.

## true at that part, that is why i decided to get zimbra to run on a virtual machine on top of my actual machine, my current hardware suffices the requirements so there is no issue there (amd 3500 + 3gb ram + raid5 for data and virtual machines). i am open to other distros if they are known to be stable and comply, i just picked suse since im accustomed to it.

If you can't afford that amount of disruption, or are using Zimbra for commercial purposes and are going to be using the Network Edition, the marginal cost of a SLES9 maintenance agreement is not that much, and SuSE supports in-place upgrades between SLES versions.

## its for private use none more that is why i would like it to get up and running with O.S. based stuff..

If you can let go of SuSE, use Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS and that OS will be supported until June 2011.

## ubuntu is an acceptable option if i get to know that zimbra open edition would support it on the long run properly, if so then it sounds as the best from that part.

I fully expect when Zimbra releases binaries for SLES10 to be able to stop Zimbra, launch YaST, do a System Update to SLES10, reboot, stop Zimbra (probably not all of it started anyway), upgrade Zimbra and not have to take the box down again until SuSE forces me to do a kernel update. We reboot our SLES servers pretty much only after kernel updates as it is.

## that is what i currently do, i boot barelly a couple times a year for kernel patches/updates otherwise all runs smoothly, and by running applications on vmware as virtual appliances, it is even more flexible to maintain the box/server

Again, if you think of Zimbra as an appliance, with us just supplying the hardware and the base OS, the need to have the latest version of any particular OS is much less important than if you were building a Horde box or a qmail toaster, etc.

## heh having the latest os for zimbra is not a must just happened to use suse since the underlying machine is a suse which actually is a must, as long as zimbra is running on vmware as an appliance i can use whatever OS without issues as long as the OS in question would be "fully supported" on long and short term by zimbra and maintained by the distro..e.g. ubuntu

HTH,
    Mark
    regards
    BL

any idea when would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    We should see support for SLES10 and openSuSE 10.{latest} in a ZCS 4.5.x maintenance release.

Bugs 7941 and 10462 if you care to track.

Thread Information