Thread: I can send mail, but not receive (mac OS X 10.4.8)

yaxpac is offline Junior Member

Default I can send mail, but not receive (mac OS X 10.4.8)

After some fiddling I have Zimbra up and running on my Mac. I have OS X 10.4.8 Dual 1.8. 2 gigs ram. I am using www.dyndns.com to point at my domain It is located behind a Linksys router on a Time Warner/Road Runner cable connection.

What works:

I am able to login into Zimbra mail as both admin and a user. While in Zimbra using the webmail page I can send a message from one account to itself or to the other account. And I can send e-mail from either of these accounts and it can be received by an outside mail account.

What does not work

When I send an e-mail to either of these accounts from an external e-mail program it is not received in Zimbra.

When I log into the admin console for Zimbra and I click on the Mail Queues I get an error message "Server Error Encountered" and I get the error message (pasted below). When I click on my domain the tabs all have (error) after the name on the tab: Deferred (error), Incoming (error), Active (error), Hold (error), Corrupt (error)

Anyone have any ideas? I have run through the forums and the wiki but am stuck scratching my head. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide to to shed more light on this.

Error log from "Server Error Encountered"

Message: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: mydomain.com->zimbra@mydomain.com:22}
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: mydomain.com->zimbra@mydomain.com:22}
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:175)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.getSession(Remot eManager.java:197)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.execute(RemoteMa nager.java:134)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.GetMailQueueInfo.handl e(GetMailQueueInfo.java:56)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:262)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:162)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:223)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:162)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: There was a problem while talking to mydomain.com:22
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:64 2)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:46 0)
    at com.zimbra.cs.rmgmt.RemoteManager.getSession(Remot eManager.java:188)
    ... 24 more
    Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl .java:333)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSoc ketImpl.java:195)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.j ava:182)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.j ava:430)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:507)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.transport.TransportManager.initialize (TransportManager.java:299)
    at ch.ethz.ssh2.Connection.connect(Connection.java:59 1)
    ... 26 more

Error code: service.FAILURE
    Method: ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke
    Details:soap:Receiver

R. Joe

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Do you have the sshd daemon running on port 22? If not install/start it and see if that helps. You might also need a split-DNS setup, have a search of the wiki for details.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Do you have the sshd daemon running on port 22? If not install/start it and see if that helps.
    Thanks! That was indeed part of the problem and when I started it the errors went away in the admin console.

The problem I then had is that I could only send messages locally. But I could no longer send them externally and no messages are inbound. I fixed this after reading this post I tried turning off my "enable DNS lookup" on the MTA tab in the admin servers console. I was then able to send mail to an external address.

However I can still not get mail coming in from an external server.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You might also need a split-DNS setup, have a search of the wiki for details.
    I checked the wiki and found this article but it seems to be very Red Hat specific. I just wanted to confirm if this is the right path for me to keep investigating to solve the problem of not being able to receive mail.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Because I am working out of the house I have not had the opportunity to check on my site from an external computer. I had my wife do that today and she let me know that she can not see a site at my domain address. I expect this is somehow tied into the whole problem I am having?

Thanks!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Now you've got the sshd daemon running have a look in the Admin UI and see if there's any mail in the deferred queue, if there is you'll need a split-DNS. I'm not a MAC person but if you have to do it the set-up should be similar to the wiki details.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks! There was indeed mail in the deferred queue which then went out when I changed the DNS look up.

I will double check on if there are any variations on setting up split-DNS on a OS X

Thread Information