Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Initializing LDAP...Failed (256)

iratik is offline Intermediate Member

Default Initializing LDAP...Failed (256)

Code:
    DNS ERROR - none of the MX records for com.c******s.com

resolve to this host

Done

Checking for port conflicts

Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.8158

Setting local config values...
    Setting local config zimbra_server_hostname to com.c******s.com

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e zimbra_server_hostname=com.c******s.com

Setting local config ldap_master_url to ldap://com.c******s.com:389

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e ldap_master_url=ldap://com.c******s.com:389

Setting local config ldap_url to ldap://com.c******s.com:389

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e ldap_url=ldap://com.c******s.com:389

Setting local config ldap_port to 389

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e ldap_port=389

Setting local config ldap_host to com.c******s.com

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e ldap_host=com.c******s.com

Setting local config zimbra_uid to 1001

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e zimbra_uid=1001

Setting local config zimbra_gid to 1001

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e zimbra_gid=1001

Setting local config zimbra_user to zimbra

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e zimbra_user=zimbra

Setting local config av_notify_user to admin@com.c******s.com

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e av_notify_user=admin@com.c******s.com

Setting local config ssl_allow_untrusted_certs to TRUE

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlocalconfig -f -e ssl_allow_untrusted_certs=TRUE

Done

Setting up CA...
    *** Running as zimbra user: cd /opt/zimbra; zmcreateca

** Creating CA private key

Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
    .......++++++
    .......++++++
    unable to write 'random state'
    writing new private key to '/opt/zimbra/ssl/ssl/ca/ca.key'
    -----
    ** Creating CA cert

Signature ok
    subject=/C=US/ST=N/A/L=N/A/O=Zimbra Collaboration Suite
    Getting Private key
    unable to write 'random state'
    Done

Creating SSL certificate...
    chmod: cannot access `/jre/lib/security/cacerts': No such file or directory
    *** Running as zimbra user: cd /opt/zimbra; zmcreatecert

/opt/zimbra/bin/zmcreatecert: 27: source: not found
    chmod: cannot access `/jre/lib/security/cacerts': No such file or directory
    Done

Initializing ldap...
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit

/opt/zimbra/bin/ldap: 32: source: not found
    FAILED (256)
    ERROR

Configuration failed
    Please address the error and re-run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl to
    complete the configuration
    On installing Zimbra Collaboration Suite 4.0 - Open Source Edition on Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Server Edition on a fresh installation (Chose Bind9/DNS option) having setup a static network configuration and having verified it and having installed cURL, fetchmail, openssl, libxml2, libgmp3c2, libpcre3 and libidn11 and apt-get update and apt-get upgrade have both been run on a completely opened sources.list.

I had also linked
    /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 to /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
    and
    /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 to /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8

verified all zimbra ports open to the local machine 192.168.1.114
    whereas durign OS setup the hostname was set as COM

I've tried installation on 3 different /etc/hosts configurations
    Code:
    127.0.0.1              localhost.localdomain     localhost
    127.0.0.1              com.c******s.com        com
    Code:
    192.168.1.114        com.c******s.com        com
    Code:
    75.44.237.46         com.c******s.com        com
    I get a message during setup saying my MX record is not configured for this hostname. An MX query for c******s.com will yield "com.c******s.com" and the hostname of the machine is com, I do not understand this message.

Searching the forums yields a variety of possible fixes. The first one (Unquotable 'See "Regarding LDAP Issues..." Regarding LDAP issues: - Zimbra - Forums) says that many users have had LDAP problems and provides a 'broken' link .
    See
    http://www.c******s.com:666/zimbra/LDAPGone.swf

Other Resolutions include

Quote Originally Posted by ContemporaryFusion View Post
    I also have this error - although I am pretty sure this is due to me trying to use FC5's version of Zimbra on FC 6

I'm about to play with a source download as I have nothing better to do on a Sunday

*** EDIT *** Solution:

as root:
    visudo
    comment out

#Defaults requiretty

Hope this helps you

However does not specify which file to make the changes in.

Another fix only works on VMWare

Quote Originally Posted by pheitman View Post
    For some reason edgy made the default shell (/bin/sh) point to dash instead of bash. Apparently they are not quite the same, which causes the ldap initialization to fail. Since I was installing this on a VMWare VM, I could get away with

sudo rm /bin/sh
    sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

then uninstalling zimbra and reinstalling it. Now the installation works fine after following this fine guide.

Peter

The only other reference was in this post with no reply

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    whoa, whats this?

Creating SSL certificate...
    chmod: 无法访问‘/jre/lib/security/cacerts’: No such file or directory
    *** Running as zimbra user: cd /opt/zimbra; zmcreatecert

/opt/zimbra/bin/zmcreatecert: 27: source: not found
    chmod: 无法访问‘/jre/lib/security/cacerts’: No such file or directory
    Done

Initializing ldap...
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit

/opt/zimbra/bin/ldap: 32: source: not found
    FAILED (256)

Are you running chinese version of linux?
    I've scoured the forums the wiki's and even asked in the chat rooms

|iratik> alright I did ./install -u and tried again with both the main WAN ip and the local 192.168 IP
    |iratik> still Initializing LDAP...failed (256) Any IdeaS?
    |reco> iratik: be sure you have mailserver.mydomain.com -> LAN ip in /etc/hosts
    |iratik> thats the current setup
    |iratik> 192.168.1.114 com.c******s.com com
    |reco> reboot the box and try to install then
    |iratik> and i'm sure the router is configured for 389 - > 192.168.1.114
    |reco> open all ports
    |iratik> Open all ports on the router to 192.168.1.114
    |jodok> reco: switch to the zimbra user
    |jodok> su - zimbra
    |jodok> and start ldap manually
    |iratik> how do you start ldap
    |jodok> sudo /opt/zimbra/openldap-2.3.21/libexec/slapd -d7 -l LOCAL0 -4 -u zimbra -h ldap://yourhost.yourdomain.com:389 -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf

Following his instructions I get
    Code:
    root@com:~/dl/zcs# su - zimbra
    zimbra@com:~$ /opt/zimbra/openldap-2.3.21/libexec/slapd -d7 -l LOCAL0 -4 -u zimbra -h ldap://com.c******s.com:389 -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf
    @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.21 (Jul 14 2006 12:14:14) $
            root@build-debian.liquidsys.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap-2.3.21/servers/slapd
    daemon_init: ldap://com.c******s.com:389
    daemon_init: listen on ldap://com.c******s.com:389
    daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
    ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap://com.c******s.com:389)
    daemon: bind(7) failed errno=13 (Permission denied)
    slap_open_listener: failed on ldap://com.c******s.com:389
    slapd stopped.
    connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
    I don't know what to do about this I've tried everything and just can't seem to make sense of much. Wiki was a DeadEnd, Chat is sparse, Forums seem like the only option left.. Please Help!
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: domain scrubb per request

Default MX Lookup Output

Noting that the configuration says MX lookup does not point to "com.c******s.com"
    Code:
    Checking 15 U.S. NameServers...
    Domain: com.c******s.com

Domain Server: ns.mob.net
    No MX found!

Domain Server: resolver.qwest.net
         Destination: com.c******s.com.
      Time To Live: 3568 seconds
               Priority: 10
                   -------

Domain Server: vnsc-lc.sys.gtei.net
      Time To Live: 3572 seconds
                   -------

Domain Server: ns-1.iastate.edu
      Time To Live: 3573 seconds
                   -------

Domain Server: dns1.mci.com
    No MX found!

Domain Server: ns1.us.prserv.net
      Time To Live: 3572 seconds
                   -------

Domain Server: ns2.mindspring.com
      Time To Live: 3600 seconds
                   -------

Domain Server: dns1.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net
                   -------

Domain Server: ns2.us.dellhost.com
         Destination: com.c******scom.
                   -------

Domain Server: ns3.earthlink.net
                   -------

Domain Server: ns.isi.edu
                   -------

Domain Server: ns1.super-dns.com
                   -------

Domain Server: ns1.sprintlink.net
                   -------

Domain Server: cache01.ns.uu.net
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: domain scrubb per request

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The problem appears to be this:
    Code:
    in your first post. If that's the domain name you're trying to use then it's broken. Have a look at this report. What you should be using for the domain name is c******s.com - look at this report that has the correct MX records.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: domain removed per iratik request
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default If my domain should just be c******s.com

How do I get it so that the config looks for the MX for just c******s.com and not com.c******s.com ? Do I have to reinstall and not specify a hostname (don't think it'll let me) ? I'm just so confused about this concept more than anything because I thought no matter what all machines would have to have a hostname. Could you clear the confusion up for me.

What should i have in
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/hostname
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: domain scrubb per request

If this is a test server then the easiest thing to do is remove Zimbra completely by shuitting down (or killing) any running services, next uninstall it by running './install.sh -u'. Your hosts file should contain something like this:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
    192.168.1.15    com.c******s.com  com
    Obviously your LAN IP needs to go in there.

When you've done that just do a reinstall and when you get to the final question about continuing then change the domain name there to 'c******s.com' - note that's the domain name not the server name. Once that's done you should have a working server.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Default Configuration Already Attempted

Code:
    root@com:~/dl/zcs# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    192.168.1.114   com.c******s.com com

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    The installation yielded the following when i changed the name to c******s.com
    Code:
    resolve to this host
    Change domain name? [Yes] Yes
    Create Domain: [com.c******s.com] c******s.com
            MX: com.c******s.com (75.44.237.46)

Interface: 192.168.1.114
            Interface: 127.0.0.1

DNS ERROR - none of the MX records for c******s.com
    resolve to this host
    It is suggested that the MX record resolve to this host
    Re-Enter domain name? [Yes] No
    Done
    Checking for port conflicts
    Main menu

1) Hostname:                                com.c******s.com                                                                                               
       2) Ldap master host:                        com.c******s.com                                                                                               
       3) Ldap port:                               389                                                                                                            
       4) Ldap password:                           set                                                                                                            
       5) zimbra-ldap:                             Enabled                                                                                                        
       6) zimbra-store:                            Enabled                                                                                                        
            +Create Admin User:                    yes                                                                                                            
            +Admin user to create:                 admin@c******s.com                                                                                             
    ******* +Admin Password                        UNSET                                                                                                          
            +Enable automated spam training:       yes                                                                                                            
            +Spam training user:                   imafj_e1@c******s.com                                                                                          
            +Non-spam(Ham) training user:          20rf27hua8@c******s.com                                                                                        
            +SMTP host:                            com.c******s.com                                                                                               
            +Web server HTTP port:                 80                                                                                                             
            +Web server HTTPS port:                443                                                                                                            
            +Web server mode:                      http                                                                                                           
            +Enable POP/IMAP proxy:                no                                                                                                             
            +IMAP server port:                     143                                                                                                            
            +IMAP server SSL port:                 993                                                                                                            
            +POP server port:                      110                                                                                                            
            +POP server SSL port:                  995                                                                                                            
            +Use spell check server:               yes                                                                                                            
            +Spell server URL:                     http://com.c******s.com:7780                                                                                   /aspell.php

7) zimbra-mta:                              Enabled                                                                                                        
       8) zimbra-snmp:                             Enabled                                                                                                        
       9) zimbra-logger:                           Enabled                                                                                                        
      10) zimbra-spell:                            Enabled                                                                                                        
       r) Start servers after configuration        yes                                                                                                            
       s) Save config to file                                                                                                                                     
       x) Expand menu                                                                                                                                             
       q) Quit

Address unconfigured (**) items  (? - help) 6

Store configuration

1) Status:                                  Enabled                                                                                                        
       2) Create Admin User:                       yes                                                                                                            
       3) Admin user to create:                    admin@c******s.com                                                                                             
    ** 4) Admin Password                           UNSET                                                                                                          
       5) Enable automated spam training:          yes                                                                                                            
       6) Spam training user:                      imafj_e1@c******s.com                                                                                          
       7) Non-spam(Ham) training user:             20rf27hua8@c******s.com                                                                                        
       8) SMTP host:                               com.c******s.com                                                                                               
       9) Web server HTTP port:                    80                                                                                                             
      10) Web server HTTPS port:                   443                                                                                                            
      11) Web server mode:                         http                                                                                                           
      12) Enable POP/IMAP proxy:                   no                                                                                                             
      13) IMAP server port:                        143                                                                                                            
      14) IMAP server SSL port:                    993                                                                                                            
      15) POP server port:                         110                                                                                                            
      16) POP server SSL port:                     995                                                                                                            
      17) Use spell check server:                  yes                                                                                                            
      18) Spell server URL:                        http://com.c******s.com:7780                                                                                   /aspell.php

Select, or 'r' for previous menu [r] 4

Password for admin@c******s.com (min 6 characters): [jtA9_Y4P] com.c******s                                                                                   .com

Store configuration

1) Status:                                  Enabled                                                                                                        
       2) Create Admin User:                       yes                                                                                                            
       3) Admin user to create:                    admin@c******s.com                                                                                             
       4) Admin Password                           set                                                                                                            
       5) Enable automated spam training:          yes                                                                                                            
       6) Spam training user:                      imafj_e1@c******s.com                                                                                          
       7) Non-spam(Ham) training user:             20rf27hua8@c******s.com                                                                                        
       8) SMTP host:                               com.******s..com                                                                                               
       9) Web server HTTP port:                    80                                                                                                             
      10) Web server HTTPS port:                   443                                                                                                            
      11) Web server mode:                         http                                                                                                           
      12) Enable POP/IMAP proxy:                   no                                                                                                             
      13) IMAP server port:                        143                                                                                                            
      14) IMAP server SSL port:                    993                                                                                                            
      15) POP server port:                         110                                                                                                            
      16) POP server SSL port:                     995                                                                                                            
      17) Use spell check server:                  yes                                                                                                            
      18) Spell server URL:                        http://com.c******s.com:7780                                                                                   /aspell.php

Select, or 'r' for previous menu [r] r

Main menu

1) Hostname:                                com.c******s.com                                                                                               
       2) Ldap master host:                        com.c******s.com                                                                                               
       3) Ldap port:                               389                                                                                                            
       4) Ldap password:                           set                                                                                                            
       5) zimbra-ldap:                             Enabled                                                                                                        
       6) zimbra-store:                            Enabled                                                                                                        
       7) zimbra-mta:                              Enabled                                                                                                        
       8) zimbra-snmp:                             Enabled                                                                                                        
       9) zimbra-logger:                           Enabled                                                                                                        
      10) zimbra-spell:                            Enabled                                                                                                        
       r) Start servers after configuration        yes                                                                                                            
       s) Save config to file                                                                                                                                     
       x) Expand menu                                                                                                                                             
       q) Quit

*** CONFIGURATION COMPLETE - press 'a' to apply
    Select from menu, or press 'a' to apply config (? - help) a
    Save configuration data to a file? [Yes] No
    The system will be modified - continue? [No] Yes
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.12452
    Setting local config values...Done
    Setting up CA...Done
    Creating SSL certificate...Done
    Initializing ldap...FAILED (256)

ERROR
    So with that in mind, what else can I do?
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: domain scrubb per request

From your zimbra server, waht do the following give you?

Code:
    host `hostname`
    dig all c******s.com
    Note the host command has backticks not quotes. Post the details of the commands.

I should also have said that this report shows an error for your MX record that needs fixing.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: domain scrubb per iratik request
    Regards

Bill

Arrow

Code:
    root@com:~/dl/zcs# host `hostname`
    root@com:~/dl/zcs# dig all c******s.com
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 64740
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;all.                           IN      A

;; Query time: 148 msec
    ;; SERVER: 66.93.87.2#53(66.93.87.2)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Jan  3 19:18:47 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 21

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> all c******s.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 55384
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;c******s.com.                  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    c******s.com.           3600    IN      A       75.44.237.46

;; Query time: 204 msec
    ;; WHEN: Wed Jan  3 19:18:47 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-29-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: domain scrubb

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Default No MX Record

You need to add an MX record to the DNS Servers.

An MX Record is on the DNS Servers for the domain

Code:
    c0@com:~$ dig c******s.com mx

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> c******s.com mx
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33076
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;c******s.com.                  IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    c******s.com.           3430    IN      MX      10 com.c******s.com.

;; Query time: 458 msec
    ;; WHEN: Wed Jan  3 22:48:44 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 50
    Code:
    DNS ERROR resolving MX for com.c******s.com
    It is suggested that the domain name have an MX record configured in DNS
    Re-Enter domain name? [Yes] Yes
    Create Domain: [com.c******s.com] c******s.com
            MX: com.c******s.com (75.44.237.46)

Interface: 192.168.1.114
            Interface: 127.0.0.1