Thread: ZCS 4.5 question

mclark is offline Intermediate Member

Default ZCS 4.5 question

I would like to try 4.5, but have nothing to install it on. Is there a possibility of getting a "beta test drive" demo site like you have for 4.0? This might also help more people to be able to test it for you...

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Do you mean the NE or OSS version? There's a VMware appliance that has the 4.5 beta on it if that helps.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I would prefer NE edition.

By VMware appliance do you mean a VM image that I can just copy onto a VMware server and start and use? That might be ok, because I could just install VMware on my machine. I just thought a network-available demo site for betas would be a nice addition, so people could take it for a test-drive without having to set anything up.

Where is this VM image at (if I understood correctly)?

Sorry, I've got ahead of myself - it's been one of those days. It is a VMware image I was talking about but it's only version 4.0 at the moment. The reason there's no demo available is that it's still in beta, there isn't even a beta of the NE version available yet only the OSS version.

If you want to install VMware you could always install the OSS 4.5 RC1 version to get a feel for the features, when the NE edition becomes available it would just be an upgrade to get it running. I'm sure you've read this already but just in case, the NE version must be installed on RHEL4, SLES10 or MAC OS X. If you don't want to get a subscription to RHEL or SLES yet you could install CentOS as it is binary compatible (and free) with RHEL.
    Regards

Bill

Ok. I will consider trying to install it in VMware. I was hoping that by having a demo site up it would make beta testing more widely available to a larger audience. Plus it would allow users to get a picture of what is happening with the new version quickly, without having to do a lot of setup...

The only thing you need to do is make sure that you have enough memory allocated to the VMware server that you install Zimbra on, too little and it gets a bit cranky.

Yes, I understand your reasons for wanting to see a demo of the new features. The Zimbra team are working hard to get the next release out and I doubt there's enough hours in the day to get the demo updated. I'm not even sure what the policy is for updating the demo servers, it may have to go GA before they do that.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information