Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best OS

gabster is offline New Member

Default Best OS

Hi,

What is the best OS to install? I mean what is your OS of choice? Like the one you develop on?

Thanks,

Gab

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Well, as Zimbra is meant to be on a dedicated box that's what I have. It's CentOS4 (RHEL4) server just with Zimbra and a few apache apps on it. If you want stability and ease of installation then use an operating system that's 'supported' by the NE version of Zimbra.

PS Welcome to the forums.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Compliant OS

Thanks for the prompt answer, my installation is on a dedicated machine and I want the most "supported" OS. I installed SLES 10 but your installation script found it unsupported and unknown. I saw in an other post that SLES 10 was too new. I saw too that Suse ES 10 was supported, what is Suse ES 10 exactly?

What would be your _personnal_ choice for an enterprise OS?

I don't care for myself as they are all linux and I don't care to pay for the OS.

Thanks,

Gab

My choice would be RHEL4 but I'm like you and don't want to pay for it so I use CentOS4 (RHEL4 binary compatible and free). Yes, SLES10 isn't available in a binary version yet but will be in the future. The point of an 'enterprise' operating system is that it doesn't contain all the latest gizmos and software that we normally install on our workstations. It's also likely to contain slightly older version of software they do provide (obviously updated to address any security or stability problems), the theory being that it's more stable and the vendor can give it better support. That's important, just look through theese forums on the type of problems encountered, most of them are not on RHEL (CentOS) or SLES9.

So either SLES9 or RHEL4 (CentOS) - your choice.
    Regards

Bill

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i believe the primary development platform for zimbra is RHEL4, its certainly by far the largest linux enterprise OS and the one i would go for without question for business use.

however, you say you don't want to pay for the OS, so that pretty much rules out any enterprise linux (well you essentially get them for free but have to pay for updates and support). as phoenix says, CentOS4 is a 'free' version of RHEL4 that seems to work very well, i use debian which also works well.

SUSE10 != SLES10. SUSE10 is an old version of what is now OpenSUSE 10.0, SLES10 is the enterprise product based off what is now OpenSUSE10.1. There was quite a big change between 10.0 and 10.1 so it's not an easy job to get it running or recommended.

Thumbs up OS of choice

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, I meant that I don't care to pay for an OS for this kind of usage. RHEL4 seems the way to go for me now since Zimbra is developed on it.

Help is very much appreciated. Nice product too, I evaluated Scalix, Gordano, Exchange, Open Xchange, Communigate Pro and Zimbra. Zimbra clearly made a strong impression.

I will probably install Fedora Directory server and try to integrate it with Samba and Zimbra. That would be the best solution for my usage.

Gab

Hi

But you have to pay for RHEL4! Try CentOS, it's pretty much compatible with RHEL4 and its free, hurrah!

I have samba running off fedora directory server, and zimbra using external auth to auth against the fedora directory server, search the forums i think few other people have done similar thing.

Default Which OS

On which OS are you running Fedora Direcory Server?

Gab

RHEL4. it runs on fedora and rhel/centos great but I suspect getting it running on other OSs will be difficult.

i'd love to see someone try and replace zimbra openldap with fds, it's a fantastic software and holds some really great advantages such as multi-master replication.

Quote Originally Posted by gabster View Post
    On which OS are you running Fedora Direcory Server?

Gab
    I'm also using that on a CentOS4 machine.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information