Thread: LDAP: Need advice how to handle the newly installed Zimbra with old OpenLDAP server

ymarinov is offline Active Member

Default LDAP: Need advice how to handle the newly installed Zimbra with old OpenLDAP server

Hello,

Since, our testing period for the new Zimbra mail server is at final stage, I'll need some advice how to handle with already working in production OpenLDAP server.

As I went through the documentation I wasn't able to find any solutions regarding the last stage of the tests. We already have a running OpenLDAP server, and starting another LDAP (Zimbra's one) in the same network may spawn some problems, as many of us know. Actually, I don't want to stop the Zimbra's LDAP service, but I with to connect it, with the existing one, and both to synchronize their users - initially, Zimbra's LDAP should gather all users and save them as well. The solution which i found (slave and master LDAP servers) provides information how to connect new Zimbra's LDAP to already running Zimbra LDAP, which is not our case.

So, overall i need advice how to connect the Zimbra's LDAP to this already running OpenLDAP server.
    Your help and effort is much appreciated.

Best Regards
    Yavor Marinov

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ymarinov View Post
    Since, our testing period for the new Zimbra mail server is at final stage, I'll need some advice how to handle with already working in production OpenLDAP server.

As I went through the documentation I wasn't able to find any solutions regarding the last stage of the tests. We already have a running OpenLDAP server, and starting another LDAP (Zimbra's one) in the same network may spawn some problems, as many of us know.
    No, it won't.

Actually, I don't want to stop the Zimbra's LDAP service, but I with to connect it, with the existing one, and both to synchronize their users - initially, Zimbra's LDAP should gather all users and save them as well.
    You can't disable the LDAP server in a ZCS install, it's required.

So, overall i need advice how to connect the Zimbra's LDAP to this already running OpenLDAP server.
    You can use the connection wizard for external authentication. If you want to provision your users form another LDAP then you'll have to write a script that exports the users and passes the output to ZCS commands (IIRC, there are a couple in the forums if you search for them).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ymarinov is offline Active Member

Hey Bill,

You made me look like a newbie however your answer clarify everything that I needed.
    Is it possible to configure the Windows/Linux workstations to work with the Zimbra's LDAP once I import the user/pass database? I mean, it's possible I'm sure, but could it be possible to face some other issues, when switching? It's not intended to use Zimbra's LDAP as whole office authentication, but i'm thinking of some possibilities if the current LDAP machine "go wild"

BR

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You made me look like a newbie
    That certainly wasn't my intention.
    however your answer clarify everything that I needed.
    Good. The ability to sync between Zimbra and an external LDAP will change in ZCS 8 (which is currently in beta) and will keep the accounts in sync.

Is it possible to configure the Windows/Linux workstations to work with the Zimbra's LDAP once I import the user/pass database? I mean, it's possible I'm sure, but could it be possible to face some other issues, when switching? It's not intended to use Zimbra's LDAP as whole office authentication, but i'm thinking of some possibilities if the current LDAP machine "go wild"
    There are a couple of Community supported zimlets that will allow you to use ZCS as a 'domain controller', if that's what you're after - search the gallery (and the wiki and forums) for the word "posix" and see if that's what you need.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information