Thread: Connecting to Hotmail - but get "Please correct missing or invalid input.

Gulliverx2 is offline Beginner Member

Default Connecting to Hotmail - but get "Please correct missing or invalid input.

I think I'm doing everything right... I've followed all the advice from other posts, but its still saying that I need to correct invalid or missing input. The frustrating part is that it doesn't say what is wrong. From the reviews, this looks like the exact program I want to use, so I'm really hoping someone can help me...

Thanks!

Please correct missing or invalid input.

Account Type: POP
    Setup an account on a POP mail server at your Internet Service Provider or work.
    Account Name: Kyle's Hotmail
    Your Full Name: Kyle D
    Email Address: gulliverx2@hotmail.com
    Receiving Mail
    User Name: gulliverx2@hotmail.com
    Password: XXXX
    Edit
    Incoming Server: pop3.live.com
    Port: 995
    Security:
    None SSL (checked) TLS if available

Sending Mail
    SMTP Server: smtp.live.com:gulliverx2@hotmail.com (THIS IS WHERE IT SAYS ERROR IS - IVE ALSO TRIED just "smtp.live.com")
    Port: 25 (I've also tried 587)
    Security:
    Use SSL encryption when sending mail
    Authentication: (checked)
    Username and password required to send mail
    User Name: gulliverx2@hotmail.com
    Password: XXXX
    Reply-to:
    Name: Kyle D
    Email Address: gulliverx2@hotmail.com

Synchronization Settings
    Check Messages:
    New Messages: (Every Minute)
    Delete after downloading (checked)
    Leave on Server
    Enable debug logging

beachgeek is offline New Member

I have never been able to connect to hotmail. It doesn't appear that anyone has an answer to the problem. Is it something Microsoft is doing?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by beachgeek View Post
    I have never been able to connect to hotmail. It doesn't appear that anyone has an answer to the problem. Is it something Microsoft is doing?
    It works fine for me however, when you're reporting aproblem it would hel;p if you actually gave some details about the installed version of the product and the errors that you're seeing instead of just posting a 'me too'.

Follow the POP3 instructions here but do not use SSL for the SMTP connection - that works for me.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

7.1.4 GA (build 11299) It says in the instructions to put that in the profile which I did.

The link says Hotmail only directly supports POP3. For POP3, use pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com on ports 995 and 587 using SSL. For detailed instructions, go to the Windows Live website listed in Related Links. The related link took me to my account. I tried it in several variations. It is balking at 995 every time.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

7.1.4 GA (build 11299) It says in the instructions to put that in the profile which I did.
    That's correct but you can see that (at the moment) it's not showing in the forum profile.

The link says Hotmail only directly supports POP3. For POP3, use pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com on ports 995 and 587 using SSL. For detailed instructions, go to the Windows Live website listed in Related Links. The related link took me to my account. I tried it in several variations. It is balking at 995 every time.
    What exactly do you mean by 'balking', what error do you see? I used the same instructions and connect to a hotmail account without problems. I did, however, forget to mention that as well as leaving out SSL for the SMTP connection you should also use port 25 not 587.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's correct but you can see that (at the moment) it's not showing in the forum profile.

What exactly do you mean by 'balking', what error do you see? I used the same instructions and connect to a hotmail account without problems. I did, however, forget to mention that as well as leaving out SSL for the SMTP connection you should also use port 25 not 587.
    service.FAILURE: system failure: SMTP connect failure
    Display error details
    com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapFaultException: system failure: SMTP connect failure ExceptionId:com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceExcep tion: system failure: SMTP connect failure ExceptionId:btpool0-47:1343603384230:489b761db1e34bb1 Code:service.FAILURE at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:253) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. testDataSource(OfflineProvisioning.java:783) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. createDataSourceAccount(OfflineProvisioning.java:8 28) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. createAccount(OfflineProvisioning.java:634) at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.CreateAccount.handle(C reateAccount.java:64) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:412) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:287) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:158) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.jav a:303) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:217) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:725) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:206) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:814) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:390) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:422) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:585) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:988) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:756) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:415) at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:429) at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:451) Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: 550 5.7.3 Requested action aborted; user not authenticated at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueCommand(SMTPT ransport.java:1795) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. test(OfflineProvisioning.java:791) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. testDataSource(OfflineProvisioning.java:770) ... 30 more Code:service.FAILURE at com.zimbra.common.soap.Soap12Protocol.soapFault(So ap12Protocol.java:88) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.extractBodyEl ement(SoapTransport.java:354) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.parseSoapResp onse(SoapTransport.java:313) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(So apHttpTransport.java:260) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(So apHttpTransport.java:164) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTr ansport.java:407) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invokeWithout Session(SoapTransport.java:393) at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.invoke Request(SoapProvisioning.java:342) at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.invoke (SoapProvisioning.java:350) at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.create Account(SoapProvisioning.java:493) at com.zimbra.cs.offline.jsp.JspProvStub.createOfflin eDataSource(JspProvStub.java:126) at com.zimbra.cs.offline.jsp.XmailBean.doRequest(Xmai lBean.java:262) at com.zimbra.cs.offline.jsp.FormBean.doRequest(FormB ean.java:156) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor56.invoke(Unkno wn Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) at com.sun.el.parser.AstFunction.getValue(AstFunction .java:127) at com.sun.el.ValueExpressionImpl.getValue(ValueExpre ssionImpl.java:206) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.evaluate Expression(PageContextImpl.java:1001) at org.apache.jsp.desktop.accsetup_jsp._jspx_meth_c_w hen_3(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.desktop.accsetup_jsp._jspx_meth_c_c hoose_0(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.desktop.accsetup_jsp._jspService(Un known Source) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:109) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:814) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java:389) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:486) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:380) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:814) at com.zimbra.webClient.servlet.JspServlet.service(Js pServlet.java:64) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(Set HeaderFilter.java:79) at com.zimbra.webClient.filters.SetHeaderFilter.doFil ter(SetHeaderFilter.java:239) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:388) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:422) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:585) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:988) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:756) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:415) at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:429) at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)

The error varies from time to time. Sometimes it gets to port before the error starts.

Thread Information