Thread: Free version of open source edition

dcparks is offline Member

Default Free version of open source edition

Greetings,
    I found the below information on the Zimbra website....but i cannot find the free version of the open source edition. Can anyone offer some thoughts here?

thanks in advance.

Zimbra Collaboration Server (ZCS)

Open Source Edition

ZCS Open Source Edition is a free email and collaboration solution ideal for individuals or smaller organizations that do not require Zimbra Support, advanced administration, business continuity and only IMAP email on desktops and devices.

cayaraa is offline Special Member

Just select download Open Source Edition:
    Zimbra - Products: Zimbra Collaboration Suite - Open Source Edition

If you don't want to register use the small link at the bottom and it takes you to:
    Open Source Edition Downloads: Enterprise Messaging and Collaboration Software by Zimbra

-Aaron

Default thanks Aaron

Thanks Aaron.

It mentions a trial version. Is there an actual free application of open source?

And...stupid question. What is the difference between the open source and the desktop version?

thanks kindly.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
    It mentions a trial version. Is there an actual free application of open source?
    The Open Source version of Zimbra Collaboration Server is free and there's no charge for it, you can download it from the main web site (you've already got the link, I believe).

And...stupid question. What is the difference between the open source and the desktop version?
    ZCS is a mail and collaboration server and Zimbra Desktop is a mail clent (as I've alrady described to you), why are you thinking of installing ZCS?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,
    As you can tell i am confused. I am looking to replace outlook. This led me to zimbra desktop, thunderbird, etc. Couple that with the idea of cloud storage and sharing of data, etc. between clients, sub contractors (i have a home building company), etc. was appealing. Then, the idea of bringing together social marketing aspects of things was appealing.
    So...i have no idea what i am looking for really. i am afraid i am wasting your time with non sensical questions.
    Thanks for your patience

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

As you can tell i am confused. I am looking to replace outlook. This led me to zimbra desktop, thunderbird, etc. Couple that with the idea of cloud storage and sharing of data, etc. between clients, sub contractors (i have a home building company), etc. was appealing. Then, the idea of bringing together social marketing aspects of things was appealing.
    So...i have no idea what i am looking for really. i am afraid i am wasting your time with non sensical questions.
    Thanks for your patience
    Zimbra Collaboration Server is a complete mail server and Collaboration suite, it is the part of the equation that sends (or receives) mail from one server to another and you then connect a mail client such as ZD to it so you can retrieve your email. The mail server (or more correctly the Mail Transfer Agent) is the component that is responsible for sending and receiving mail for your domain (i.e. fred@somedomain.com), in Zimbra the Collaboration part of it gives you additional features. It's difficult to advise you without know what problem you're trying to solve in your organisation or for your personal email - can you tell us that?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information