Thread: Zimbra with Samba and PAM_SMBPASS

facerw is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra with Samba and PAM_SMBPASS

We currently are in the process of migrating our boxes from NT/2000 to a Samba Backend with Ldap.

Our first part of migration is completed. We've moved over to a samba box with LDAP using the PAM_SMBPASS to authenticate. We also created an LDAP backend to handle passwords and login authentication.

Problem: We need to keep PAM_SMBPASS and LDAP to integrate properly. Can Zimbra use the PAM_SMBPASS system on our external LDAP box to authenticate to Zimbra? We'd like it so that we use one login for everything.

Thanks

pbruna is offline Project Contributor

I do something similar that you want to do.
    I have a SAMBA/LDAP Domain and my windows and linux machines work ok.
    The "ONE" Password with Zimbra its very easy to setup, you just need to configure zimbra to lookup the authentication in an external LDAP server, in the admin manual and in the forums are a lot of info about this.

The problem i had, was the user want the ability to change the password from zimbra, so i build this zimlet http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Samba_Password
    Patricio Bruna
    http://www.itlinux.cl

facerw is offline Junior Member

Default Success

We found our problem. It turns out it was a conversion issue. We suspected that converting from SAM accounts to LDAP would have a password conversion problem. After we reset the passwords we were able to log in.

It's a shame but I guess that's the price for progress.

We wanted to import the Samba passwords into Ldap and have zimbra use the external LDAP to authenticate but that wasn't possible. We found out by accident after we changed the user passwords that we could log in.

If anybody out there knows how to convert NT passwords into LDAP and then authenticate with the original password without changing it, please let me know.

Thread Information