Thread: Zimbra 7 masquerade domain name

dazza_act is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra 7 masquerade domain name

OK, I give up. I've tried every suggestion in every forum I can find related to domain name masquerading and it's just not working in ver 7. I've done this on numerous Zimbra servers since version 5 with no problem at all but none of the suggestions have worked for Zimbra 7.

The server is zimbra.example.com but the domain name needs to appear and have a return address on mail of .example.com. As I said, no problems with this in the past but now nothing seems to work. Here are a few of the commands I've tried:

/zmprov md zimbra.citizensadvice.org.au zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @zimbra.citizensadvice.org.au zimbraMailCatchAllCanonicalAddress @citizensadvice.org.au

zmlocalconfig -e postfix_masquerade_domains="zimbra.citizensadvice.org.au citizensadvice.org.au"

postconf -e masquerade_domains="zimbra.citizensadvice.org.au citizensadvice.org.au"

zimbraMailCatchAllCanonicalAddress @citizensadvice.org.au

I've avoided changing the server name as that just doesn't seem right. The server name IS zimbra.example.com and I'm assuming if I tell Zimbra it example.com it will cause issues.

Every other mail server I've run regardless of Postfix, Sendmail or Zimbra has let me masquerade the domain name.

Do I need to sacrifice a goat or something to get Zimbra 7 to behave?

Cheers.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dazza_act View Post
    I've avoided changing the server name as that just doesn't seem right.
    There is no need to rename the server.

The server name IS zimbra.example.com and I'm assuming if I tell Zimbra it example.com it will cause issues.
    Instead of jumping through all these hoops why don't you just rename your domain to example.com (which is what it should have been in the first place), unless I'm missing something blindingly obvious?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Because naming it example.com is wrong. The FQDN (which is what was asked for during install) is as I have it. you don't name a mail server incorrectly just to appease mail software in the world I live in. The correct way to handle this is with domain name masquerading just as sendmail, postfix and Zimbra have done it up to this point.

I'll change the domain name if that's the only way it will work, but I'm fairly confident that is not technically correct. Happy to be shown otherwise.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Because naming it example.com is wrong.
    No it's not.

The FQDN (which is what was asked for during install) is as I have it. you don't name a mail server incorrectly just to appease mail software in the world I live in.
    You seems to be labouring under a misconception here. I actually said rename the domain NOT rename the server. The question you're asked during install asks what domain name you want to host on the server, if you enter nothing (i.e. hit enter) then it uses the default of the FQDN of the server - that is not correct in this case (and most other cases), your domain name is citizensadvice.org.au not zimbra.citizensadvice.org.au (which is a sub-domain as far as a domain name is concerned).

The correct way to handle this is with domain name masquerading just as sendmail, postfix and Zimbra have done it up to this point.
    No, that's not the correct way to do it, the correct way is to set your domain name when you initially install ZCS.

I'll change the domain name if that's the only way it will work, but I'm fairly confident that is not technically correct. Happy to be shown otherwise.
    It is technically correct to set the correct domain name that you're going to host on your server, believe me using a domain masquerade is unnecessary
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No it's not.
    It is technically correct to set the correct domain name that you're going to host on your server, believe me using a domain masquerade is unnecessary
    Will do and thanks for the assistance. I've never done it this way before and I've been using Zimbra for years. It's also certainly not how sendmail and postfix work where masquerading is the norm. Not to mention it's inconsistent with previous versions which certainly did masquerading just fine.

I left changing the domain name to last as others have said that they had issues when chaning it and ended up reinstalling.

I'm surprised the Zimbra techs I've dealt with over the years (I use the Network as well as the Community Edition) haven't brought this up with me before.

I'm pretty sure most people are going to answer 'mail.example.com' when asked the FQDN for their mail server. At least every Unix Sys Admin I know would. Might be a good idea to clarify that prompt if anyone is listening.

Thanks again. I'm off to change the domain name.

Thread Information