Thread: New install and split domain!?

oliveiras is offline New Member

Default New install and split domain!?

Hello Guys,

We are new to Zimbra, and use exchange 2007, but we are testing Zimbra 7.1.4GA on ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS.
    After following this Forum and read alot of info We now have a Zimbra server working after following the forums and this video tutorial: Zimbra 7.1.4 OSE Ubuntu 10.04 Installation HD Video Tutorial 1 HR. - YouTube

We would like to test if Zimbra mail server can help us having a backup mail server outside from our company (small branch office) when our exchange server is down.

Inside our company we have a exchange edge that sends mail to our exchange server. When exchange server is off all incoming mail is kept in the edge server, but when the edge server (simple server with almost no redundancy) is off we lost some of the incoming mail.

To prevent this we where looking on MX backup services to retain our email, but after some searching we come to Zimbra that can do the MX backup service.

We have some doubts if split domain is the solution we need, since we want Zimbra server to be on standby if the principal MX is not reachable, and then mail be delivered to our Zimbra MX adress but also to allow users to access their email accounts via webmail while our exchange servers are offline.
    When our servers are ON again the mail that Zimbra meanwhile received, that mail need to be sincronized to Exchange server, as Zimbra only need to be a outside backup email server.

Is this cenario possible!?

We don't know if what we want to do is possible with Zimbra and exchange but that's why We are asking for your help.

PS: We only have one domain, company.com

Thanks

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Yes, of course it's possible with ZCS as a backup MX is effectively just a mail server with a lower MX priority. I would, however, caution against doing it yourself. You'd have to pay for another hosted machine (I'm assuming) then maintain the ZCS installation etc., etc. The problem is a backup MX is usually a good target for spammers and I'd suggest you'd be better off using one of the many professional services available, they have the resources to protect and maintain the server and will forward the mail when your server is back online. Some of these services are inexpensive (if not free) when you use an additional service such as DNS hosting and you can find plenty of them with an internet search.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes, of course it's possible with ZCS as a backup MX is effectively just a mail server with a lower MX priority. I would, however, caution against doing it yourself. You'd have to pay for another hosted machine (I'm assuming) then maintain the ZCS installation etc., etc. The problem is a backup MX is usually a good target for spammers and I'd suggest you'd be better off using one of the many professional services available, they have the resources to protect and maintain the server and will forward the mail when your server is back online. Some of these services are inexpensive (if not free) when you use an additional service such as DNS hosting and you can find plenty of them with an internet search.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

We know that it's a good idea to use a payed service for MX backup, but if we have our exchange servers offline we can't access the incoming email.

We were looking on Google postini services that do what we want (accessing via webmail when our servers are down and sync back when server are On), but having our email hosted outside our company it's not a good idea, that's why we are looking on Zimbra.

PS: I don't understand why you are saying that we need another hosted machine, maybe I didn't explained very well, but we only have our domain hosted on a ISP provider, all our servers are inside our company, and the outside server with zimbra will be on a branch office we have.

Quote Originally Posted by oliveiras View Post
    We know that it's a good idea to use a payed service for MX backup, but if we have our exchange servers offline we can't access the incoming email.
    Of course you can, there are companies that provide access to your mail as well as the Backup MX facility - look at some the links I provided.

We were looking on Google postini services that do what we want (accessing via webmail when our servers are down and sync back when server are On), but having our email hosted outside our company it's not a good idea, that's why we are looking on Zimbra.

PS: I don't understand why you are saying that we need another hosted machine, maybe I didn't explained very well, but we only have our domain hosted on a ISP provider, all our servers are inside our company, and the outside server with zimbra will be on a branch office we have.
    The whole point of having a backup is that it should be hosted somewhere that isn't in the same geographical location. as your current server(s), one example - what happens if you lose a total power supply to your servers?

If you don't like my suggestion then feel free to implement your own Backup MX, there's plenty of information in the links I gave you earlier.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Of course you can, there are companies that provide access to your mail as well as the Backup MX facility - look at some the links I provided.

The whole point of having a backup is that it should be hosted somewhere that isn't in the same geographical location. as your current server(s), one example - what happens if you lose a total power supply to your servers?

If you don't like my suggestion then feel free to implement your own Backup MX, there's plenty of information in the links I gave you earlier.
    Sorry if I didn't explain very well, but my English is not so good.

For what I can understand from your reply's:
    -Zimbra can be a MX backup server?
    -but can't sync back to exchange servers?
    -can't be accessed via webmail by the users when exchange servers are off and acting as a MX mail server?
    -Split Domain on Zimbra is not the solution for my needs?

I'm just trying to understand if zimbra can do what I want, sorry if I sayed something that I didn't had to.

Thanks

Sorry if I didn't explain very well, but my English is not so good.

For what I can understand from your reply's:
    -Zimbra can be a MX backup server?
    Yes.

-but can't sync back to exchange servers?
    -can't be accessed via webmail by the users when exchange servers are off and acting as a MX mail server?
    I didn't say, or imply, either of those things.

-Split Domain on Zimbra is not the solution for my needs?
    A backup MX is not a Split Domain scenario.

I'm just trying to understand if zimbra can do what I want, sorry if I sayed something that I didn't had to.
    You can say whatever you like, this is a public forum. I was merely pointing out that there are problems with your intended configuration and it's not what I'd recommend, you can implement a Backup MX if you choose and there are details in the links I've given you.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information