Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split DNS and dnsmasq confustion

bishop05 is offline Intermediate Member

This is a list of my running services, I don't see named.
    so again I'm guessing the Wiki is not accurate, or I'm just missing something. some direction would really help.
    apparmor
    hwclock-save
    procps
    stop-bootlogd
    apport
    irqbalance
    rc
    stop-bootlogd-single
    atd
    killprocs
    rc.local
    sysstat
    bind9
    module-init-tools
    rcS
    udev
    bootlogd
    networking
    README
    udev-finish
    console-setup
    network-interface
    reboot
    udevmonitor
    network-interface-security
    rsync
    udevtrigger
    dmesg
    ondemand
    rsyslog
    ufw
    dns-clean
    plymouth
    screen-cleanup
    umountfs
    grub-common
    plymouth-log
    sendsigs
    umountnfs.sh
    halt
    plymouth-splash
    single
    umountroot
    hostname
    plymouth-stop
    skeleton
    urandom
    hwclock
    pppd-dns
    ssh
    wpa-ifupdown

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bishop05 View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu server 10.04.
    I'm guessing if your not a Linux Pro, there's really no way to get this off the ground properly.
    No, that's not correct. but one does need to do some research. Don't forget that the wiki is Community provided information and was accurate when it was written, you've got a different version of Ubuntu installed and I guess they've changed something in the startup scripts for BIND.

What's this listed in your services?
    bind9
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The real confusing part is how you point people to use a document that is outdated. It would have been better if it was stated that we have a Wiki that is not 100% accurate but is good for reference material. As far is doing research I have and as stated before and the documentation is all over the place. Use this use that do this do that. I'm not being rude just a but frustrated.

The real confusing part is how you point people to use a document that is outdated.
    It is not outdated and is valid for the version of Ubuntu that it was written for. If you really wish to lay blame for the changes then blame Ubuntu for changing the way the installed BIND on Ubuntu 10.x and changing the startup script.

It would have been better if it was stated that we have a Wiki that is not 100% accurate but is good for reference material.
    The whole point of Community wiki is that Community members write the documentation in there and update it themselves. Documentation that's provided by Zimbra is listed as such and Certified as working.

As far is doing research I have and as stated before and the documentation is all over the place. Use this use that do this do that.
    The documentation isn't 'all over the place', if you'd used RHEL then you wouldn't have had any problems with the wiki article. It took me thirty seconds to do the search and provide you with the article on how to install and start BIND on your version of Ubuntu.

I'm not being rude just a but frustrated.
    Fine.
    Regards

Bill

Thank you.

but using this document will not allow my server to route mail to the outside world. How To Install BIND 9 on Ubuntu (DNS) | LinuxConfig.net

but using this document will not allow my server to route mail to the outside world.
    Why not?

That document tells you how to install BIND on your version of Ubuntu and what the startup script is now called. The Split DNS article gives you the required configuration setting for your DNS records if you're behind a NAT router.

If you've configured the DNS records correctly then you should have no problem sending mail anywhere, you can verify your DNS configuration by running all the commands in the 'Verify....' section of that article. Details of the expected output from those commands are also listed in the section of the article.
    Regards

Bill

Wasowski is offline Senior Member

I'm running Ubuntu server 10.04.
    I'm guessing if your not a Linux Pro, there's really no way to get this off the ground properly.
    I am a Windows Admin with only a few experiences with Linux and I managed to install Zimbra on Ubuntu and CentOS.

My worst complains are all the mistakes in the docs/howto I found here and on the net.

The only good/great guide I found for Ubuntu is this one: My Notes for Installing Zimbra 7.1.3 on Ubuntu Server 10.04.3 LTS

My best advice for you: Create your own guide with all the bits of informations you can find all over the web. Dont waist your time posting here , most of the time someone you already know will tell you how you should have asked your question instead of helping you(welcome to the Linux world).

It took me a long time to get my first "perfect" server running, but it is really worth it. I am not going back to Microsoft or Open xchange.

BTW: Now I can setup a Zimbra server/bind/firewall in an hour. No Im not "amazing" far from it, I just have my own procedure .

One question, why Ubuntu ?

Wasowski thanks for the only good bit of info I've gotten so far.
    I'm using Ubuntu just for the simple fact it's the disto on most comfortable with. I'm open to try others, I have a POC running on CentOS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information