Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uninstalling on Mac

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by martinfst View Post
    I am logged on to the site. So maybe it's in a restricted area?
    Ah yes you're right, I never thought of that. I logged out and got the same message as you. I have no idea why the thread was hidden/deleted but I didn't do it, honest guv!!
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Kevin removed the thread due to a *former* member who hasn't been very nice.

We encourage you to use this (and other) threads in the forum.
    There have been some issues uninstalling on OS X that the Zimbra Team is working on.

nxnw is offline Intermediate Member

Perhaps the inappropriate posts of the "*former* member who hasn't been very nice" can be deleted, and the balance of the thread restored. It was a useful thread that may help people who tried to uninstall using the original instructions to simply delete the zimbra folder and pkg (as it turns out, not a good thing to do).

I had a very frustrating disk thrashing problem with my computer, resulting from my attempted uninstall, that was not resolved for months — until Brian figured it out. I don't have his post and I can't even remember what he said to do, except it disclosed a folder with about 50,000 error messages that my system kept trying to deliver.
    Last edited by nxnw; 12-01-2006 at 06:17 AM.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

I had referred your problems to Brian.

Have you talked to him about your issues yet?

funkahdafi is offline Intermediate Member

Guys...

bad "former memeber" or not. Can you please give some instructions on how to completely remove Zimbra from Mac OS X, please?

I can't believe you guys are arguing about shiny icons and flaming about better using Exchange if all the user (and me too) wants is to remove the software from his machine. No explanation is needed as to why he wants to remove it. Whats's the problem with this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by funkahdafi; 12-02-2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

nxnw is offline Intermediate Member

If you have not yet tried manually deleting it, there is an OS X uninstall script that has a download link in another thread in this forum.

If you have started uninstalling, the zip file in this thread has information that may help.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
    Can you please give some instructions on how to completely remove Zimbra from Mac OS X, please?

Did you try the uninstall.sh script?

BTW: Here is the additional info Brian had posted earlier.
    -----------
    Hi NXNW,

The uninstaller will work for 3.1+ versions of ZCS.

As others have pointed out the log entry is not directly generated by the zimbra install. It's generated by the /etc/periodic/daily/500.daily script when it calls the mailq command.

The zimbra install modifys settings in /etc/syslog.conf, which would cause this message to be exposed in the /var/log/zimbra.log. Keep in mind that this command was always running, the zcs install just changed the file where the log entries where being written.

To revert to the standard Mac OS X location change /etc/syslog.conf entries and restart syslogd
    mail.* /var/log/zimbra.log
    to
    mail.* /var/log/mail.log

Again this will only revert the install to the default location, the mailq command will still run. The other posts related to this can be followed to disable this script completely.

cheers
    brian

------------------
    NXNW,

Also if your disk is thrashing when mailq/showq runs, there is probably a bunch of undelivered messages in /var/spool/postfix/maildrop from the crontab entries that failed to run during your uninstall.

cheers
    brian
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

bobby is offline Zimbra Employee

>bad "former memeber" or not. Can you please give some instructions on how to completely remove Zimbra from Mac OS X, please?
    >
    >there is an OS X uninstall script that has a download link in another thread in this forum.
    >
    there is a link to the script in post #7 of this very thread. there is also an Uninstalling Zimbra on Mac OS X wiki page with another link to the uninstall script, and instructions for using it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information